Another volume question - Is there a silent mode?

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Pretty straight forward question, in Windows Phone 8, is there an option to go straight to 'silent' mode?

In WP7, you had 'volume' and 'vibrate', but no 'silent'. In order to make the phone silent you had to manually turn the volume to '0'.

I'm hoping in WP8 you can simply touch a 'silent' option and be done with it.

Thank you!

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Settings > Ringtones & Sounds > Ringer set to OFF, Vibrate set to OFF.

Done. Silent mode. :)

In other words I'm assuming there is no quick button for 'silent' mode. And by quick button I mean, pressing a volume key, then pressing 'silent' from the list of volume options.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
The trick is turning vibrate off, then you have choices between ringer and silent. If ringer and vibrate are both on, then you get ring + vibrate and vibrate from the volume controls. Not sure if this has been altered in any way in WP8.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
The trick is turning vibrate off, then you have choices between ringer and silent. If ringer and vibrate are both on, then you get ring + vibrate and vibrate from the volume controls. Not sure if this has been altered in any way in WP8.
No change in WP8. I miss that too. Previous phones I had volume down went to vibrate and then if you kept holding the volume down the vibrate setting turned off as well. With Windows phone it is necessary to turn off vibrate separately as indicated above.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hitting the volume key and then tapping the 'bell' in the to right corner doesn't turn it to silent for you? Does for me on WP7...

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
hitting the volume key and then tapping the 'bell' in the to right corner doesn't turn it to silent for you? Does for me on WP7...

Yes it does IF you have vibrate off. There are basically 2 modes:

If vibrate is off then the volume control shows 'Ring and Silent'.
If vibrate is on then you get 'Ring+Vibrate or Vibrate'.

thegoodnotes

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It is weird that in Vibrate mode, the device still outputs sound from apps (like in IE). I wish there was a vibrate mode that didn't output any sound, but still vibrated for notifications.

Christian Wittrock

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
@Allies: How can you even question Chitresh? And your argument about simplificity is so far off...

To have profiles is to simplify things and to make a user friendly and easy interface. Take WP8 which I have been ask to try out. I can easily disable ring tone. But if I do from the main screen I get the volume setting changed by '1' (volume down or up and press the 'ring' icon). If I go into settings I can enable/disable without touching the ring level. But having to be forced to go into settings is tedious and the ring tone enable/disable is not the only setting you need to change.

You need to disable:
- Ring tone
- Message tone
- Email tone
- Voicemail tone
- Reminder tone
- Misc tones

And that doesn't even guarantee you "silent mode". I have disabled all and still some APP's can make beeps and noises.... :(
The only "true" way to enter "silent mode" seems to be to turn off the phone completely. To me that has nothing to do with simplicity and user friendliness. It is plain simple WTF!!!!
I simply don't understand MS. They have designed a UI appearance that looks nice and responds well, and then they go ahead and make some really stupid decisions and what options should be available and how. I have tried many phones and have gotten used to how neat things can be made and so simple to use. I mean something like at least being able to enter silent mode is a standard feature on phones today and have been for many many many MANY years because of a need. So why does MS decide that there is no use for it???

/Christian

san_vai

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I am Nokia user for so many years,
tell me one thing for sake of simplicity !
Do I have to hold my phone at my desk to know if it is vibrating,
a simple "bip" pager mode informs me about important calls, and keep all other notification silent, without need of vibrator. (Battery saver also)
a profiles gives simplicity in your daily routine, http://forums.windowscentral.com/images/smilies/wpcentral20/smile.png
home. Office, driving, etc

There is lot of importance is given in WP for Social task simplicity NOT for daily important use.http://forums.windowscentral.com/images/smilies/wpcentral20/angry.png
You can share notes? cant rename Docs? can not create new docs? cand acess password protected office files? Metro design http://forums.windowscentral.com/images/smilies/wpcentral20/unhappysweat.png
I am WP promoter for safety but feel Nokia OS was better then what we have now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99