New Lumia 920. What to demo?

HornDawg1957

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
After years of using Pay as You Go phones, I finally pulled the trigger on my first smartphone--a cyan Lumia 920 preorder. I should receive it tomorrow and spend the weekend getting it set up.

I've spent literally about 20 minutes of my life with somebody else's smartphone in my hand, so I'm still a major newbie about all this. The people in my office all have iPhones and Droids and Blackberries. They're interested in seeing my new phone when I bring it in on Monday. What should I show off to highlight what makes Windows Phones different and cool?

So far, I've got the following:
- PureView camera
- Nokia Maps
- Live tiles
- Hot spot (I got a plan that allows this)

None of my immediate coworkers has young kids, so Kids Corner probably doesn't do anything for them.

I'd appreciate any input as to what other features of Windows Phones would make everybody realize the error of their smartphone ways and have them cancelling their current contracts in favor of buying their own Windows Phones. (Well, maybe not, but I'm emotionally needy, so being able to demonstrate some smartphone savvy would make me happy.)

Thanks!

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard, and congrats on your 920 preordered.

- Local Scout
- City Lense
- Facebook intergration (LinkedIn, Twitter, Skype)

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
- Xbox Music pass
- Downloadable maps feature used by all mapping apps incl. Nokia Drive
- People hub/skype integration/groups
- Glance and go approach, where you don't need to open an app for everything

Nokia maps is great, but it's main feature is maps accuracy world wide which is difficult to demonstrate

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
- Xbox Music pass
- Downloadable maps feature used by all mapping apps incl. Nokia Drive
- People hub/skype integration/groups
- Glance and go approach, where you don't need to open an app for everything

Nokia maps is great, but it's main feature is maps accuracy world wide which is difficult to demonstrate

I really do think the biggest thing Windows Phone OS has going for it is the 'glance and go' approach, or what is basically the user experience with the phone.

There's so much built-in to the OS that you really don't need to open as many apps for the same information you'd get on other smartphone's.

That, and LIVE tiles. I think live tiles are hugely underrated. Where other smartphones have app icons doing nothing which basically equates their home screen to a collage of post-it-notes (kind of like Windows PC desktop icons), the Live Tiles give you more information immediately and really breathe new life into what we call a 'home screen'.

Ironically, that's how I feel about Windows 8 OS (PC OS), the new start menu is basically replacing the old and boring desktops of past windows. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb