Custom Ringtones - WP8

umtwademel

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone figure out how to do custom ringtones on WP8 yet? I have followed the same guides to get it working on WP7, but it doesn't seem to work. I also tried dropping these custom ringtones in the "Ringtones" folder which you would see if you were to open up your phone in "My Computer" after plugging it in. Also, I have Windows 8.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
you need a program that can crop a section of a song then encode it to mp3. make it no longer than 40sec and try to keep it around or under 1mb. when you paste that into the ringtone folder through usb mass storage, unplug the phone from the pc. in your phone tap settings then ringtones. on the next page tap the long box under ringtone. go to the custom section of the ringtones (should be at the very top). select the ringtone you made.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I was pulling all my iPhone ringtones onto my desktop with iPhone Explorer and then dragging them into the ringtones folder of my 920 while it was plugged in. I don't know if it was a function of WP8 or Windows 8 but it was getting converted to the proper format on the fly.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
On WP8 you can plug your phone into the computer, on Win7 it recognises the device and gives you a sort of hub. On the hub, or you can do the same through My Computer, you can browse files then literally drag and drop any music file any length into the Ringtones folder and when you go to the ringtones and sounds menu your file will be there, playable and selectable.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Just drag and drop the file into the ringtones folder. On your desktop, the phone just shows as a regular storage device. No editing necessary. I've tried full mp3 and wma files.

gbrgbr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
none of the above

i've had no luck adding ringtones to my 920. i have 2 custom ringtones that work fine on the nokia 900 (39 sec mp3s with ringtone genre) but can't get either working on the 920. i've used the windows phone desktop app on both windows 7 and windows 8, i've tried direct copying with both versions of windows on 2 different machines. i succeeded in copying 1 of the files to the phone ringtone directory but it doesn't show up in settings/ringtones, the other file just will not copy into the directory either as a direct copy or using the windows phone program to sync. i installed a free phone app for ringtones and it had no difficulty putting ringtone files in to the phone ringtone directory where they do work.

any ideas about what's up.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i've had no luck adding ringtones to my 920. i have 2 custom ringtones that work fine on the nokia 900 (39 sec mp3s with ringtone genre) but can't get either working on the 920. i've used the windows phone desktop app on both windows 7 and windows 8, i've tried direct copying with both versions of windows on 2 different machines. i succeeded in copying 1 of the files to the phone ringtone directory but it doesn't show up in settings/ringtones, the other file just will not copy into the directory either as a direct copy or using the windows phone program to sync. i installed a free phone app for ringtones and it had no difficulty putting ringtone files in to the phone ringtone directory where they do work.

any ideas about what's up.
The music files must be DRM free in order for them to work as ring tones.

gbrgbr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
that's not it

the on ringtone file which i succeeded in copying over was a rip i did myself from a disk. no drm likely. the other file won't even allow itself to be copied to the phone in any directory. it's cut off a mp3 bought from amazon, i assumed no drm. both files work fine on wp7 devices (focus s, nokia 900).

gbrgbr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
>> The music files must be DRM free in order for them to work as ring tones.

my reply didn't seem to take. apologies if this appears twice.

one of the ringtone files was copied to the phone but does not appear in the settings list as expected. it's from a rip of a cd i did myself. drm unlikely. the other file is from an amazon download, i assumed drm free. it fails to copy to the phone.

note that both files work fine on mt wp7 phones (focus s and nokia 900)

unless there is a better explanation, would some one send me a custom ringtone file that they have created themselves that does work on a nokia 920? i like to try it on my phone.

thanks.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
You have to have the genre as "Ringtones" I had the genre as "Ringtone" and they did not show, added the "s" and they are all there & usable.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You have to have the genre as "Ringtones" I had the genre as "Ringtone" and they did not show, added the "s" and they are all there & usable.

This is no longer the case for WP8. If this worked for you, then it's just by coincidence with something else.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Can you do custom alert tones? (I didn't try this when I had my 8X before I unlocked it and sold it.)
Alert tones is a different kettle of fish. I tried to create a number of folders with names I thought must work but none of them did. I just can't find the right name of folder to make custom ring tones appear in the list.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
This is no longer the case for WP8. If this worked for you, then it's just by coincidence with something else.
Well this I what happened the first time i plugged my phone into laptop....just copied my previous WP7 files into Ringtones folder and it didn't work first time so I added the S to match the folder name and it worked....maybe it's coincidence but for whatever reason they didn't show up first time.

I did this on Saturday and didn't do the setup to synch normal music and photos until yesterday.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was pulling all my iPhone ringtones onto my desktop with iPhone Explorer and then dragging them into the ringtones folder of my 920 while it was plugged in. I don't know if it was a function of WP8 or Windows 8 but it was getting converted to the proper format on the fly.

Confirmed..all my "M4R" files got converted to "WMA" files automagically - nice to know I can use my ringtone maker on my iPhone to create my Lumia ringtones!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel