Disappointed by Microsoft's latest OS

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Still no searching local music (seriously). Still doesn't support a bunch of Exchange ActiveSync policies (cannot support your own server product).
Still no default tap to resume.
I want only to listen to music, and not want to carry an old blackberry except the shiny new Lumia 920.

Am I asking for too much for this $100 phone?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
That's all a tad vague if you will describe the issues you are having we might be able to help you.

What do you mean by search local music? Are you looking for concerts in your area because we can search that.

I have no clue what you are trying to do with Exchange. I can't help you there.

No tap to resume are you using a Windows Phone?

Listening to music on a L920 has to be the easiest thing to do ever have you used a smartphone before?

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
That's all a tad vague if you will describe the issues you are having we might be able to help you.

What do you mean by search local music? Are you looking for concerts in your area because we can search that.

Listening to music on a L920 has to be the easiest thing to do ever have you used a smartphone before?
yea. I agree. he should know abou6t this now. it's in Wp8

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to take a few guesses here.

Search local music->
I assume he means he wants to search for music stored on the phone. I don't have a WP8, so if there's no way to do that, you can just use the accent-colored letter tiles to quickly locate certain artists. Unless you just have an incredibly large number of artists that begin with the same letter, that should be about as fast as searching would be.

Tap to resume->
Do you mean tapping on a tile to resume it instead of using the multitasking functionality? That should be present on most built-in apps, and I would assume that aspect should come to other apps once they update for better WP8 compatibility. I remember hearing about the Twitter or Four Square app having that now...

I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but I gave it a shot.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Alright.... This is on the shiny all new Lumia 920. In Xbox music, there is no way to search for music stored on the phone (yes, search for marketplace music will bring music stored locally). This feature has been requested on the suggesting feature forum for some time. Jump list for artists is a way, but it is super annoying because I have 13GB of music (not including tunes from Xbox music pass), and a lot of them are non English names......

Exchange ActiveSync always gives me problem. First it's security certificate, then it's some policies cannot be enforced. Android and iPhone work fine with our server.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

Easiest music player compared with iPhone? On iPhone, people can edit playlists on the go and sync them across different devices with iTunes Match. There is always a search box on long list. Easiest? Organizing music with windows phone is a nightmare.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to take a few guesses here.

Search local music->
I assume he means he wants to search for music stored on the phone. I don't have a WP8, so if there's no way to do that, you can just use the accent-colored letter tiles to quickly locate certain artists. Unless you just have an incredibly large number of artists that begin with the same letter, that should be about as fast as searching would be.

Tap to resume->
Do you mean tapping on a tile to resume it instead of using the multitasking functionality? That should be present on most built-in apps, and I would assume that aspect should come to other apps once they update for better WP8 compatibility. I remember hearing about the Twitter or Four Square app having that now...

I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but I gave it a shot.

thanks. But unfortunately message and people and me don't support tapping live tile to resume....

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Alright.... This is on the shiny all new Lumia 920. In Xbox music, there is no way to search for music stored on the phone (yes, search for marketplace music will bring music stored locally). This feature has been requested on the suggesting feature forum for some time. Jump list for artists is a way, but it is super annoying because I have 13GB of music (not including tunes from Xbox music pass), and a lot of them are non English names......

Exchange ActiveSync always gives me problem. First it's security certificate, then it's some policies cannot be enforced. Android and iPhone work fine with our server.

They must either be that those certificates are improperly signed or that you just need to email those certificates and open them on the phone. WP8 is supposed to include better enterprise support.

Easiest music player compared with iPhone? On iPhone, people can edit playlists on the go and sync them across different devices with iTunes Match. There is always a search box on long list. Easiest? Organizing music with windows phone is a nightmare.

I can get music started alot faster on my windows phone than I could on one of my previous Androids or any iDevice. Xbox music also has a matching feature now and the jumplist should be easier to find artists unless they're non ABC or ????? type characters otherwise the marketplace search works fine.

thanks. But unfortunately message and people and me don't support tapping live tile to resume....

Using the back button is more efficient than going start>tile.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i would be interested in knowing what version of Exchange you have. Android and iOS do some back assward things to "support" exchange policies, but really they are just sending false positives back when Exchange queries the device. IMO, Microsoft shouldn't allow that **** but they have allowed it to slide on older versions of exchange. A lot of the features Android and Apple "support" are deprecated features like "Allow IrDA file transfer"

Only Windows Phone supports the most pertinent features of the current version of Exchange.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just throwing in an idea - if you aren't happy with Lumia 920 and want someone to take it off you, I am ready to buy it off!

I can't bloody get hands on one of those babies and I see people who complain about a phone AFTER they got it because they did not ask the sales rep/computer lady/ internet BEFORE they got it!

rclifton

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Just throwing in an idea - if you aren't happy with Lumia 920 and want someone to take it off you, I am ready to buy it off!

I can't bloody get hands on one of those babies and I see people who complain about a phone AFTER they got it because they did not ask the sales rep/computer lady/ internet BEFORE they got it!

In the ops defense his issues wouldn't have been answered before purchase by talking to any store rep/salesperson prior to buying it.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Its a different way of doping things if you get used to it its easy. Want a song just open XBOX music, pick music, then songs, then use the alphabet jump boxes to get to the song. Want to start a play list just pick another song tap and hold to chose add to play list. You can even name the play list you just made and save it. Honestly how often do you share a play list? I had an iPhone I never shared a play list. Is having options a good thing yes it is I hope for people who would use that feature I hope we get it. For me the biggest PITA on iPhone was getting back to the music app if I navigated away from it while music was playing. On WP I just tap the up volume and then tap the song playing and your are back in the hub. So there are trade offs in every OS. you have to chose what is right for you.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Jump list is like the greatest thing ever for me, it pisses me off that it isn't in the Windows 8 app. That said, I don't have a lot of non English music. What happens, do they all show up under a single "non-English" header?

Perhaps someone will come a long and make their own Music playing app, it would be welcome and completely possible given the file system and background audio support. It'd be nice to have a bare bones client as an option.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit confuzzled. If music is a principal use case of yours, and you want the music player to act exactly like the iOS one, why'd you opt for Windows Phone?

Serious question.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit confuzzled. If music is a principal use case of yours, and you want the music player to act exactly like the iOS one, why'd you opt for Windows Phone?

Serious question.
This.

And I can almost guarantee the OP that the Windows Phone works properly with Exchange and the iOS and Android devices are giving false responses. I think Microsoft knows a little bit about the Exchange server they designed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb