01-10-2014 06:41 PM
75 123
tools
    It is one of those things... If it wasn't possible, it wouldn't be a big deal. The fact that it is Possible and it ALMOST works all the time, indicates to me that it's just a boneheaded coding error that needs fixing. While on the phone with Verizon today, we attempted to call Nokia, Got hung up on twice...
    03-14-2013 11:15 AM
    MS just released a brand new version of Sync. I have an iPhone and have been thinking about a new WP8. Love the integration!
    03-17-2013 01:05 PM
    MS just released a brand new version of Sync. I have an iPhone and have been thinking about a new WP8. Love the integration!
    what is your source on this? I am very interested.
    03-20-2013 09:16 PM
    I've been very vocally ticked off about the fact that hands free texting works so great in my 2011 F-150 and like crap in our new Taurus MFT system. We'll, I drove the wife's Taurus to work today and the hands free texting worked great for me. Don't know what changed or maybe its her phone (we both have 8x's) guess I'll find out soon enough when she's home so I can test. But for now I have to bite my tongue. Its really impressive and convenient texting hands free. The Nav is still crap, phone works way better for that, but hands free texting is rocking!
    03-21-2013 08:56 PM
    No problems with my 2012 Focus and Lumia 920. Every once in awhile I have issues with privacy, but you just tap the Bluetooth icon on the call screen twice to turn it off and then back on. Always fixes the problem. I also had this issue with my iPhone, but not as frequent.

BT text is not supported, but it doesn't matter because Sync just uses BT passthrough for the voice commands. What I don't like is that I have to press and hold the start button on the phone to initiate it in my car. Sync should have a command for BT passthrough. GM does...

But the speech to text is the best part by far. Love replying to texts with my voice.
    03-21-2013 09:10 PM
    My Escape 2010 has the issue with going into privacy mode that others have reported. Receiving and responding to text messages works fine. I've never tried initiating a new text message, so I can't say whether that feature works. Streaming music over Bluetooth does not display track information.
    03-22-2013 08:57 AM
    I have noticed with my 2011 Mustang w/ sync (not MFT) and my iPhone 4S, if you answer an incoming call with the phone, it will switch to privacy mode. Likewise if you initiate a call with the phone. If you answer or inititate calls with the steering wheel controls, the phone remains connected through Sync.

I don't know if this is what is going on with the Windows Phones, but it might explain the privacy mode issues people are having. Make sure you answer/make calls with the Sync controls and not the phone unless you want to be in privacy mode.
    05-11-2013 04:27 PM
    Hi,
    Did this privacy mode issue get resolved. I have a 2010 ford escape and a nokia 920 with the same problem.
    05-13-2013 11:57 AM
    Hi,
    Did this privacy mode issue get resolved. I have a 2010 ford escape and a nokia 920 with the same problem.
    No, it hasn't. I'm dealing with it on a new 2014 Ford Mustang. So far it seems that the first outgoing call I make after connecting the phone to SYNC will default to Privacy Mode. I'm not yet ready to label this as a definite WP8 issue, though. I've now had the same Lumia 920 handset paired with multiple vehicles with SYNC in the past few months:
    2012 Ford Expedition SYNC w/ MyFord Touch
    2013 Ford Flex SYNC w/ MyFord Touch
    2013 Ford Explorer SYNC w/ MyFord Touch
    2014 Ford Mustang SYNC (no MyFord Touch)

On every unit previous to this one not only did I never get the Privacy mode issue, but the connections were almost seamless. I'd be listening to music (or on a call) before getting in and the moment the car was up and running it would transfer over to SYNC flawlessly. Artist/Song text would be displayed on the screen, and I rarely if ever had any kind of crash issues. On the 2014 Mustang, I very frequently get the Privacy mode issue which makes "hands free" calling an impossibility. It seems to take much longer (10-15 seconds) sometimes to connect via Bluetooth whereas on previous versions it was almost instant (maybe 3-5 seconds). And whenever I get into the car I have to force SYNC to select Bluetooth Audio whereas in the previous versions it was automatic.

I've received some conflicting responses from Ford support on this, and while I've been happy with how my dealer has responded to the concerns I'm not exactly happy with a solution of "leave the car with them for a few days" just to figure out what is going on. Next on my list to check is to try using other non-WP8 devices to see if I can pin anything down. But since I've heard reports of these things happening on WP8 and non-WP8 phones, on some versions of SYNC but not others, there just seem to be too many variables and I don't get the sense that Microsoft really cares about the issue.
    05-15-2013 10:23 AM
    I have identical issue with Focus Zetec Econetic 2013 and HTC 8X WP8. It is definitely NOT a Nokia issue. Windows phones are not listed as compatible on the Sync site. I have the UK Ford Sync team looking in to it! I had no problems with my last Focus (2012) with this handset - text messages, hands-free calling, BT Audio - all worked perfectly. It would seem that in this latest revision of Sync Microsoft have decided to stop supporting their on OS!?! This is the second windows phone I have had hoping that it would catch on and that software developers would invest in the OS, but several years later and the OS is still the last to be supported (Spotify is a good example) and now Microsoft have put the final nail in their own coffin. Android or iOS from now on!!
    05-29-2013 06:08 AM
    I have a 2013 focus and my Lumia 920 is just terrible with my ford sync. Un reliable. While my friends with iPhones work perfectly. Its so ironic... I think it has something to do with the Bluetooth stack that Microsoft is using. It stutters for the first 10 minutes while playing music. The solution I have found is to pause for those 10 minutes and it fixes on its own. And everything plays normal. And of course there is the clutching when getting a call and resuming music afterwards.
    05-29-2013 08:06 AM
    i just bought a 2013 escape, haven't picked it up yet. i was looking at the ford website trying to learn about sync, when i realized they completely omitted windows phones. why does microsoft does such incredibly stupid things. i want to love my windows phone but microsoft keeps getting in my way.
    06-02-2013 12:35 PM
    From Ford SYNC Tech Support Chat:
    Ford Sync rep says:I would recommend performing a soft reset on the phone. Sometimes the Bluetooth Link in the phone will freeze when the phone is left on all the time, and will not allow the Bluetooth connection to work properly. By resetting the phone, it will reset the Bluetooth, and then allow it to work normal.
    Ford Sync rep says:
    Please place a call from the vehicle once this is done.
    Ford Sync rep says:
    Please press the SYNC radio Menu button and scroll to privacy using the seek arrow.
    Ford Sync rep says:
    Please press OK.
    Ford Sync rep says:
    Scroll to Privacy off.
    Ford Sync rep says:
    Press OK.
    Ford Sync rep says:
    These steps can only be followed while you are on a call.

Just doing the software reset worked for me on my Lumia 928!
    06-05-2013 08:51 PM
    It stutters for the first 10 minutes while playing music. The solution I have found is to pause for those 10 minutes and it fixes on its own. And everything plays normal. And of course there is the clutching when getting a call and resuming music afterwards.
    I have a 2014 Ford Explorer and I have the same issue. It is intermittant. It works perfectly sometimes but stutters others.

Does anybody know what the best support forum for Microsoft Sync is? The Ford forum is horrible. And there does not seem to be much moderator response.
    07-09-2013 07:52 AM
    It semi works. I can take a call, but can not make one. It will read texts and allow you to reply. But it will not work with anything that requires the Sync system to make a phone call, such as directions and vehicle health reports. On the Ford site, no Windows Phones are listed as supported by Microsoft Sync. I don't think Microsoft thinks Microsoft Windows Phone is worth supporting.

Microsoft did a good job of putting together a phone operating system. It was supposed to work like the PC and tablet operating system, but doesn't. The idea that a PC and phone would work the same was a big gun for Microsoft, but they just shot themselves in the foot with it. I like my windows phone, and don't mind windows 8 on the PC (although it still needs a lot of work), but Microsoft just seems to be screwing up the details.
    07-09-2013 02:59 PM
    2013 Escape here, bought in February. I mentioned I was switching to WP frm Android and the guy went off about how I should never, ever do that - it's totally incompatible blah blah blah I should get an iPhone yada yada yada (I tuned him out completely after that).

Lumia 928 works perfectly. No problem making or recieving calls or texts.
    Admittedly, I don't play music through the phone.
    07-23-2013 08:49 AM
    brother uses his 928 in his 2013 ford fusion. seems to work seemlessly/flawlessly. plays music, library on the phone shows on the touch screen, hands free texting and it reads texts to him, hands free calling, etc.
    07-23-2013 09:05 AM
    Actually, Microsoft did not create Sync. They only made the base OS. Ford actually developed early Sync versions in house. For MFT, the outsourced it to a third party company. This is probably why development on Sync has all but stopped.

I have a Nokia 810 and a 2011 Flex. My biggest frustration has been the voice commanding to dial the phone. I does not work at all properly on my phone. I had no problems with my Nexus One Android phone. I also get no music info over BT
    Last edited by James Lillard; 07-24-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    07-24-2013 08:12 PM
    I have the Lumia 1020.
    My Lumia 900 used to work with every feature on my 2012 Ford Focus ti with Sync and MFT. Switching to the 1020 and now not only does it not allow me to respond to a text or read a text to me via bt but it doesn't even alert me i got one anymore.

This is a major let down and really really ridiculous. My mother has the 928 on a 2010 Lincoln MKZ with Sync and that allows text message responses, but goes into privacy mode everytime she makes a call (which is really a joke).
    08-13-2013 11:55 AM
    I have the Lumia 1020.
    My Lumia 900 used to work with every feature on my 2012 Ford Focus ti with Sync and MFT. Switching to the 1020 and now not only does it not allow me to respond to a text or read a text to me via bt but it doesn't even alert me i got one anymore.

This is a major let down and really really ridiculous. My mother has the 928 on a 2010 Lincoln MKZ with Sync and that allows text message responses, but goes into privacy mode everytime she makes a call (which is really a joke).
    I have the same problem with my Beamer.. WP7 had a better integration. Including showing SMS, Facebook contact pictures in the car, etc...
    looks like Bluetooth capabilities in WP7 are better for car integration.
    08-30-2013 08:53 AM
    i updated my software a couple weeks ago its been working fine for me, although i dont drive that vehicle much. the wife got the new car this time.
    here is the email they sent me:

At the Ford Motor Company, we’re constantly striving to go further – in everything from design and engineering to the ongoing enhancement of vehicle technologies. It is in this spirit that we are pleased to announce our latest MyFord Touch« software version 3.6 (v3.6). With v3.6, we have taken steps to enhance and improve system performance and phone connectivity. In August, this software update will be available for download at SYNC Technology | SYNC Support | Ford.com.

We also have made downloading this software much faster through our redesign of the support.ford.com website. This cutting-edge resource provides a one-stop shop to get questions answered, watch how-to videos, manage your SYNC« account and a whole lot more. Online content can be accessed from all your devices (computer, tablet and phone).

To be notified of future software updates, log in or register at support.ford.com to access your SYNC« owner account, then click on your name to set up your Owner Profile Information in “Account Settings.” Future software updates will also be available for download by using a USB drive.
    08-30-2013 09:37 AM
    My Bluetooth issues with sync in a 2012 focus were completely resolved after loading gddr 2 on my 920
    10-31-2013 10:51 AM
    MS dropped the ball on this one. Especially since a lot of newer cars will be running with the iOS.
    01-10-2014 10:16 AM
    how so? Many of the issues are with an older car running a brand spanking new phone. Something that Microsoft or any software company could ever foresee. I used to have issues with my Iphone and Ipod when I purchased my 09 escape. none of which were ever totally resolved. So far my 920 on my 09 escape has been working really really well since the GDR2 update.
    01-10-2014 11:08 AM
    Lack of updates or anything in general. There's really no how to with the system. I have a 2011 Ford Edge and it just seems nothings has changed since then. Also MYFORD was supposed to be able to have the ability to download apps which never happened. I spoke with Ford about that and they said they haven't gotten it yet and have been waiting.

From the looks of the new 2015 Edge it will be running with iOS, so yeah I think Microsoft dropped the ball on this one. Great concept but never really capitalized on it.
    01-10-2014 06:41 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD