Question - How well does WP8 work with Ford Sync

ldwolf1

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
2011 Ford F-150 with Synch. Verizon Nokia 822. Bluetooth calls randomly go to Privacy mode. No pattern to the problem. Tested my phone and my wifes and they both had the problem, yet hers works fine on a 2006 Camry Hybrid. Go Figure. More Microsoft failings!!!!! All 4 of our phones are going back.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Works great on my 1st generation 2009 Ford Taurus. I've just done it via Bluetooth since I already have a Zune HD plugged into the USB. Anyway, phone calls are great and when i use Bluetooth for music it works great too.

I do wish I could initiate a text message from Sync. If I have an inbound text, Sync will pause the music and my 822 will tell me over Sync that I have a message and if I want to play it. After it reads it to me, it asks me if i want to reply and I go ahead and do that. I just can't hit the Sync button and start a message, have to hold down the windows key, which if I have it mounted to my dash isn't the end of the world.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Works well with my 2009 escape with the Gen 1 system running version 2.1. The only issue I have is with the first outgoing call defaulting to private call. After that first one everything runs fine. I do not use it via USB though, which is used with my first Gen iPod lol

lumianut

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Works well with my 2009 escape with the Gen 1 system running version 2.1. The only issue I have is with the first outgoing call defaulting to private call. After that first one everything runs fine. I do not use it via USB though, which is used with my first Gen iPod lol

I have trouble with in privacy as well.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I have trouble with in privacy as well.

It seems to be a common problem, I do not think it is on Syncs end either. I had problems with my Iphone and indexing songs, so problems are not new to me with sync. Hopefully they will have it fixed in the next update. Its not too big of a problem for me, I usually just call myself right after I get the car started, and hang up. That fixes it for a time since it only happens with me for the first call after starting up the car.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I posted similar in 8x forum... My HTC 8x works great in my 2011 F150 with Sync but in 2013 Taurus with MFT says the phone doesn't support BT text. I use BT text a lot so this is a big fail for me, but I'm expecting an update will come along and resolve the issue. Nice how MFT specifically says the phone doesn't support the feature but I can hop in my other vehicle and use the feature that it claims is unsupported. Lol.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
My ford says the same thing regarding text. I just press the power button on my phone, then hold the start button to activate the voice stuff on the phone, works great through bluetooth.

mkempton

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Just joined to say I'm having terrible audio quality issues between my 2010 Fusion (w/o Nav) and my new HTC WP8x. It's going back b/c no one can hear me. I switched back to my GSIII and people can't even tell I'm in a car. I had read bad reviews of the WP 8X audio quality but was sad to see it extends to the Bluetooth system.

I also had the phone put the call in privacy when I call my father.

I did enjoy having it read text messages again. Very nice feature I lost with the GSIII.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
As someone who's had to argue with the dealer to get him to fix sync issues, I am ready to do battle. I have 2011 F-150 and a 2013 Explorer with My touch. iPhone works fine. My HTC touch pro 2 was sporadic. Just ordered the 822, and Now we shall see. I would be very surprised if the 822 does not actually support the full Sync features. The Sync website compatibility list has not been updated in years so I just one just wings it with a $40,000 vehicle. Hey. It's only money.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Ive got a 2010 Mustang and an 8x (i used to use an HD7). Sync will read text's just fine. PLaying music (kind of ) works. It plays songs from BT on my phone (it only displays BT Media on the screen) and i can change songs via the steering wheel controls. HOWEVER, i am experiencing an odd problem. Id like for someone else with a 2010 model sync to try to recreate this. 1) start the car 2) reboot the phone to insure that no music is "active" 3) wait for BT and SYNC to sync up. 4) try to open the music player!! For me, when i follow these steps, the entire phone freezes for about 2-3 min. The screen comes on but I cant do anything. This happens EVERY time. If i already have the music "open" on my phone when it syncs, it works fine. Also, after it unfreezes it works fine. Can someone please try to recreate this. thanks

I suspect you have auto download set. Is this the case?

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Please Make sure your Sync is up to date! There have been three or four updates within the last year or so! You can download the update to a USB thumb drive or order a free update USB storage drive!

MyFord Touch | Get the latest SYNC software updates | Ford.com

My son has a 2012 Titanium Focus with Sync and has a Lumia 920 as far as I know he said the last update fixed a lot of issues he had! He ordered the USB stick once but now just downloads the updates...

radioage54

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
2008 Focus and Nokia 822- Inbound calls and texts work fine. Outbound calls always go to privacy mode! Is there an update to sync or are the mamby pamby good for nothin gov't trying to shut down our use of phones in the car?

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Only 2 things that have changed with my HTC 8x and Sync are text messages don't come across the car's speakers anymore and privacy mode. When I make a call through SYNC, it goes in to privacy mode at times. When I make the call directly from the phone, no issues.

radioage54

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
2008 Focus with Sync (updated) still sporadic with my 822. This morning my daughter called me on my way to work and after approx. 3 minutes the sound went off and phone and sync locked up! I couldn't hang up and none of the 822 buttons worked at all! I had to shut off car when I got to work and also pull the battery on the phone to reset. Everytime I call out it seems to go to private mode too. Ford, Microsoft or Nokia need to investigate these problems ASAP!!!

Ludaman64

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just updated to Sync Gen 2 v3.5 on my 2012 ford focus mytouch; from v3.02 (I Think). I also have a Nokia 920 that is up to date.

Before and after the update I could not initiate a text with Sync. It reports as this feature being un-available. Before I could respond to text messages, I will check this tomorrow.

Before and after the update calling seems to work perfectly.

Before the update I could stream music from the internet to Sync reliably(per a data connections reliability). Also before the update, I could not reliably stream any music stored on the phone, my music library or the Nokia app that stored the music offline; this behavior showed itself by randomly disconnecting the music portion of the phone from sync, seemingly more when I tried to skip tracks or the next track naturally came up.
After the update I have tried to play music from the nokia app streaming from the internet and locally from my music library and there are audible pauses every couple seconds with both sources, however, now I have been able to mash the next button without the phone disconnecting. So overall this update is worse because now I can not listen to any music via the phone.

On the note of any music via the phone; before the update I could connect via USB and the phone would index and play some music. This experience was not enjoyable because it would not search through the phone for the songs I wanted reliably at all. Also the index process took 10 minutes and seemed to want to do this each time I would connect or start my car.
After the update: the phone does not seem to get recognized at all as connected via USB. I will update if this changes in the next few days.

NOTE: while I was sitting reading a book in my car as Sync updated the Nokia 920 froze and I had to hold all of the buttons down to reset it (I had just turned Bluetooth off). If this means my phone fubared itself then I may try a complete reset this weekend and this fact comments on the observations above...that the Nokia 920 breaks itself...or something.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Before the update I could stream music from the internet to Sync reliably(per a data connections reliability). Also before the update, I could not reliably stream any music stored on the phone, my music library or the Nokia app that stored the music offline; this behavior showed itself by randomly disconnecting the music portion of the phone from sync, seemingly more when I tried to skip tracks or the next track naturally came up.
After the update I have tried to play music from the nokia app streaming from the internet and locally from my music library and there are audible pauses every couple seconds with both sources, however, now I have been able to mash the next button without the phone disconnecting. So overall this update is worse because now I can not listen to any music via the phone.

On the note of any music via the phone; before the update I could connect via USB and the phone would index and play some music. This experience was not enjoyable because it would not search through the phone for the songs I wanted reliably at all. Also the index process took 10 minutes and seemed to want to do this each time I would connect or start my car.
After the update: the phone does not seem to get recognized at all as connected via USB. I will update if this changes in the next few days.

I have the same issue with Bluetooth audio after upgrading. I've noticed that it seems to happen when I get back in the car and the input is set to bluetooth audio. If it starts off on something else (FM/sirius/etc) it doesn't happen. Usually just switching inputs to something else and then back to Bluetooth audio fixes it for me as well, but not always.

I also have the same issue with USB post update. Before the update, it would REALLY REALLY SLOWLY index the phone, but only if I plugged the phone in unlocked. Now it doesn't seem to do anything other than really slowly charge.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the 822, and I cannot play music to my V.3.5.1 Ford MyTouch, It skips and jumps. Works fine in my older non touch version in my pickup, and it works great with an iPhone. Dunno who to blame, I think it's part of the bluetooth problems before the portico update. Which verizon does not have yet.

There might be an update to Sync. I like this part:
Please Read: This software contains all previous enhancements. The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT turn off your vehicle. You must wait until you see a message, "Installation complete". When "Installation Complete" displays on the center screen, touch "OK". While the update is loading, SYNC? will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.

RUN THE CAR FOR AN HOUR? Are they NUTS?

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Updates for my loyal followers, (Do I have any?) There is no update for Sync, I have the newest version. I spoke to the sync people. They have no data on Nokia 822 phones. So they started with mine. And so far it's not looking good. I had noticed the other day that only half or less of my phonebook downloaded to my phone. I tried a reverse pairing procedure they suggested, I was informed that this a more secure way of pairing. Since doing that, I have all my phonebook. (Yay) but BT streaming locks up the phone solid (Boo).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99