Question - How well does WP8 work with Ford Sync

nanoware

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2013 focus and my Lumia 920 is just terrible with my ford sync. Un reliable. While my friends with iPhones work perfectly. Its so ironic... I think it has something to do with the Bluetooth stack that Microsoft is using. It stutters for the first 10 minutes while playing music. The solution I have found is to pause for those 10 minutes and it fixes on its own. And everything plays normal. And of course there is the clutching when getting a call and resuming music afterwards.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
i just bought a 2013 escape, haven't picked it up yet. i was looking at the ford website trying to learn about sync, when i realized they completely omitted windows phones. why does microsoft does such incredibly stupid things. i want to love my windows phone but microsoft keeps getting in my way.

Radioage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
From Ford SYNC Tech Support Chat:
Ford Sync rep says:I would recommend performing a soft reset on the phone. Sometimes the Bluetooth Link in the phone will freeze when the phone is left on all the time, and will not allow the Bluetooth connection to work properly. By resetting the phone, it will reset the Bluetooth, and then allow it to work normal.
Ford Sync rep says:
Please place a call from the vehicle once this is done.
Ford Sync rep says:
Please press the SYNC radio Menu button and scroll to privacy using the seek arrow.
Ford Sync rep says:
Please press OK.
Ford Sync rep says:
Scroll to Privacy off.
Ford Sync rep says:
Press OK.
Ford Sync rep says:
These steps can only be followed while you are on a call.

Just doing the software reset worked for me on my Lumia 928! :smile:

Eric Immerman

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It stutters for the first 10 minutes while playing music. The solution I have found is to pause for those 10 minutes and it fixes on its own. And everything plays normal. And of course there is the clutching when getting a call and resuming music afterwards.

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer and I have the same issue. It is intermittant. It works perfectly sometimes but stutters others.

Does anybody know what the best support forum for Microsoft Sync is? The Ford forum is horrible. And there does not seem to be much moderator response.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It semi works. I can take a call, but can not make one. It will read texts and allow you to reply. But it will not work with anything that requires the Sync system to make a phone call, such as directions and vehicle health reports. On the Ford site, no Windows Phones are listed as supported by Microsoft Sync. I don't think Microsoft thinks Microsoft Windows Phone is worth supporting.

Microsoft did a good job of putting together a phone operating system. It was supposed to work like the PC and tablet operating system, but doesn't. The idea that a PC and phone would work the same was a big gun for Microsoft, but they just shot themselves in the foot with it. I like my windows phone, and don't mind windows 8 on the PC (although it still needs a lot of work), but Microsoft just seems to be screwing up the details.

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
2013 Escape here, bought in February. I mentioned I was switching to WP frm Android and the guy went off about how I should never, ever do that - it's totally incompatible blah blah blah I should get an iPhone yada yada yada (I tuned him out completely after that). :eck:

Lumia 928 works perfectly. No problem making or recieving calls or texts.
Admittedly, I don't play music through the phone.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
brother uses his 928 in his 2013 ford fusion. seems to work seemlessly/flawlessly. plays music, library on the phone shows on the touch screen, hands free texting and it reads texts to him, hands free calling, etc.

James Lillard

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually, Microsoft did not create Sync. They only made the base OS. Ford actually developed early Sync versions in house. For MFT, the outsourced it to a third party company. This is probably why development on Sync has all but stopped.

I have a Nokia 810 and a 2011 Flex. My biggest frustration has been the voice commanding to dial the phone. I does not work at all properly on my phone. I had no problems with my Nexus One Android phone. I also get no music info over BT

Last edited:

vanquishedagain

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the Lumia 1020.
My Lumia 900 used to work with every feature on my 2012 Ford Focus ti with Sync and MFT. Switching to the 1020 and now not only does it not allow me to respond to a text or read a text to me via bt but it doesn't even alert me i got one anymore.

This is a major let down and really really ridiculous. My mother has the 928 on a 2010 Lincoln MKZ with Sync and that allows text message responses, but goes into privacy mode everytime she makes a call (which is really a joke).

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the Lumia 1020.
My Lumia 900 used to work with every feature on my 2012 Ford Focus ti with Sync and MFT. Switching to the 1020 and now not only does it not allow me to respond to a text or read a text to me via bt but it doesn't even alert me i got one anymore.

This is a major let down and really really ridiculous. My mother has the 928 on a 2010 Lincoln MKZ with Sync and that allows text message responses, but goes into privacy mode everytime she makes a call (which is really a joke).
I have the same problem with my Beamer.. WP7 had a better integration. Including showing SMS, Facebook contact pictures in the car, etc...
looks like Bluetooth capabilities in WP7 are better for car integration.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
i updated my software a couple weeks ago its been working fine for me, although i dont drive that vehicle much. the wife got the new car this time.
here is the email they sent me:

At the Ford Motor Company, we’re constantly striving to go further – in everything from design and engineering to the ongoing enhancement of vehicle technologies. It is in this spirit that we are pleased to announce our latest MyFord Touch? software version 3.6 (v3.6). With v3.6, we have taken steps to enhance and improve system performance and phone connectivity. In August, this software update will be available for download at SYNC Technology | SYNC Support | Ford.com.

We also have made downloading this software much faster through our redesign of the support.ford.com website. This cutting-edge resource provides a one-stop shop to get questions answered, watch how-to videos, manage your SYNC? account and a whole lot more. Online content can be accessed from all your devices (computer, tablet and phone).

To be notified of future software updates, log in or register at support.ford.com to access your SYNC? owner account, then click on your name to set up your Owner Profile Information in “Account Settings.” Future software updates will also be available for download by using a USB drive.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
how so? Many of the issues are with an older car running a brand spanking new phone. Something that Microsoft or any software company could ever foresee. I used to have issues with my Iphone and Ipod when I purchased my 09 escape. none of which were ever totally resolved. So far my 920 on my 09 escape has been working really really well since the GDR2 update.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Lack of updates or anything in general. There's really no how to with the system. I have a 2011 Ford Edge and it just seems nothings has changed since then. Also MYFORD was supposed to be able to have the ability to download apps which never happened. I spoke with Ford about that and they said they haven't gotten it yet and have been waiting.

From the looks of the new 2015 Edge it will be running with iOS, so yeah I think Microsoft dropped the ball on this one. Great concept but never really capitalized on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon