Petition to allow DataSense for unlocked phones

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
If you aren't on contract, why should the carrier be expected to help you do things to help you save data? I don't really have a problem with this at all. Unlocked gives you the freedom to switch carriers whenever you want. They owe you nothing.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
If you aren't on contract, why should the carrier be expected to help you do things to help you save data? I don't really have a problem with this at all. Unlocked gives you the freedom to switch carriers whenever you want. They owe you nothing.

Since we pay the carriers it is perfectly reasonable to expect them to give us a service in return. Having locked or unlocked phones and the ability to switch carriers is irrelevant.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Goodbyemoff

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Firstly, I believe data sense should be available on ALL devices. Why? Well why does an app by app data usage app require my carriers approval? Is my carrier monitoring my app usage? This is the feature im most excited about though.

Secondly, I can understand how the data compression might require carrier support, but hasn't opera browser done server side compression for years, granted Microsofts method might involve a different method though.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
If data compression is limited to contract phones, fine. At least enable all the rest of the data tracking stuff. Microsoft goofed up by combining the two, the compression should have always been considered as an add-on to DataSense that is separately enabled. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to see how much data I've used, regardless of the carrier.

lonbraj

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was loaded in unlocked phones. This makes no sense. In Brazil nobody buys carrier branded phones, you get no subsidy, so we are left out of the most important feature implemented (data compression) in WP8 (there aren't many) for me at least because cellular data is expensive and limited here.

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
i don't think we even know enough about the infrastructure necessary to implement data sense. if it was just browser compression and a data usage monitor then it could all be implemented by an easily recreated phone app. just use Opera Mobile and a data counter.

however i seem to remember Belifore talking about smart data throttling across all apps which would require an infrastructure change by the carriers which is maybe why in the US it's only starting out on Verizon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon