Live Tiles not so Live?

tejChicago

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, have been moving into a Lumia 920 this weekend.

So far, mostly great, except for Live tiles. Have a number of them that aren't updating!

Some are (Weather Channel, Photos, Calendar, Battery Level). But others stubbornly don't update, ever: ESPN, ESPN Scorecenter, Facebook, Twitter, FourSquare.

None of those apps show up under Settings /Background task either, am I missing a setting somewhere else ?

Not the end of the world, just not the expected behavior (and kind of boring!).

Any ideas welcome, thx!

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site

So far, mostly great, except for Live tiles. Have a number of them that aren't updating!

Some are (Weather Channel, Photos, Calendar, Battery Level). But others stubbornly don't update, ever: ESPN, ESPN Scorecenter, Facebook, Twitter, FourSquare.

None of those apps show up under Settings /Background task either, am I missing a setting somewhere else ?

Any ideas welcome, thx!

Some apps don't really have full live tile functionality or are broken (known). For example ESPN (Not the Nokia version) doesn't have one, Facebook only shows a counter for new notifications, no tile stuff otherwise, Twitter I don't know, I use rowi or Cowlick twitter clients as they are better than the official one, and Foursquare used to have a functioning Live Tile, but after a certain update a while back it stopped working and hasn't been fixed for whatever reason. So bottom line is it's not a WP thing, it's an app specific thing and the devs for them need to fix/add functionality in these cases.

TheBigJMoney

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It's disappointing that there's not one "great" app that has a live tile that really shows off the OS. Especially for people who might switch phones or walk into stores to check out the phone there's not a single great app that relly encourages switching to WP8.

Reactions: DaveGx

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
For twitter - go for Rowi/Cowlick/Gleek - all have efficient design and live tiles.
Facebook - hopeless.
Foursquare - Get 4th & Mayor - hands down the best thing!
ESPN - Nokia versions are better I've heard, don't use it.

Not all apps have live tiles. There are apps and there are live apps.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I think part of the problem is that many Apps haven't been updated to work with WP8 yet. WP7 live tiles might not always work on WP8.

Also, there seems to be a general issue with background apps. Both toast notifications and live tiles are inconsistent to say the least. This is not new to WP8.

There's also a limit on the number of background apps, something required for live tiles I believe.

Lastly, apps that are unopened for 2 weeks have their ability to update live tiles and status turned off. This is something MS promised to fix shortly.

So yeah, this is a under-reported flaw in WP OS.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
There's a trick to the Nokia espn app; you need to hold on a team in your "my team" list, and change alert settings.

I find that the ESPN Scorecenter app works better though.

The_Zizzler

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Agree with all the above. I too have a Lumia 920 and noticed a lot of things wouldn't work in 'Live' mode.

Examples:

I have linked 2 GMAIL accounts and have one tile that appears on the home screen. There are no live updates to this tile. The only alert that appears is a number (depicting how many unread messages I have). I was led to believe that the tile would display the last/most recent email without me having to go into it.

Sky News - Nokia and Sky versions. I have installed them both to no avail. The both just dump a static icon on the home screen.

The only tiles that do seem to update are the ones that came with the phone - Photos, People, Groups, ME.

Do we know when this is likely to be fixed?

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Any ideas welcome, thx!
in the ESPN app you have to go into the settings and enable the live tile AND you have to set up your favorite teams/sports for the live tile to work, I had the same problem when i activated the live tile but it still didn't work, but when i set up fav. team/sport worked like a charm

bscott1204

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The most frustrating thing for me so far is that I can't find a weather app with a working Live Tile. Even the one packaged with the Lumia 920 (the Nokia Weather Channel one) doesn't update automatically.

Anyone having consistent success with a weather app live tile they can recommend?

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... Haven't had any issues with the weather channel apps live tile works perfectly on my new 920, try uninstalling and reinstalling and see if that helps

Mpm277

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
ESPN - I've set my favorite teams and sports and set the live tile on, but still nothing.

Weather tile - It doesn't flip or move at all, but does shoe the current temperature and forcast on the front.

Master_Nuno

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
ESPN - I've set my favorite teams and sports and set the live tile on, but still nothing.

Now wait for an update on those teams for something to show. It doesn't go backwards and get old information so that the tile is updated.

Weather tile - It doesn't flip or move at all, but does shoe the current temperature and forcast on the front.

I use The Weather Channel app that came with it. and it flips from current weather to tomorrows weather.

i'm also on the 920

Mpm277

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I use The Weather Channel app that came with it. and it flips from current weather to tomorrows weather.

i'm also on the 920

I made the weather channel app larger and now it flips with the back being the weather map.. which is kind of useless lol.. I'd rather have tomorrows forcast.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
You have the right ESPN app, the one from Nokia Collection?

I actually find that the ESPN Scorecenter app (by ESPN) works better. In that one you can go to settings> My Team, and pick a team to occupy your live tile. It'd be better if you could select a couple teams still, but it actually uses a high resolution live tile, unlike the upscaled Nokia ESPN one that is blurry.

The_Zizzler

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You have the right ESPN app, the one from Nokia Collection?

Same for me!

Uninstalled the Nokia version and installed the ESPN Score Center app as per the above suggestion. Don't know if it will work or not. Just a quick question though, how do I remove a category under "my sports"?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)