Save battery on Nokia Windows phones

umtwademel

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So I found that my battery lasts a lot longer one day when I blocked Nokia Drive from running in the background. Go to:

Settings -> Swipe over to applications ->background tasks -> tap on Nokia Drive and block it.

If you don't do this, then when you "exit" out of the app, it'll still sit in the background grinding away at your battery.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I just used Drive for a 7 hour trip. I stopped nav and backed out. No problems here.

I'm not disputing the drain, only the supposed cause. There's something more to the issue.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I just used Drive for a 7 hour trip. I stopped nav and backed out. No problems here.

I'm not disputing the drain, only the supposed cause. There's something more to the issue.

Well you are one person against the dozens of us on Reddit, Verge, WPCentral who noticed significant battery rates with it being blocked from background access.

umtwademel

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok, a few updates for those who are confused about this.

1.) If you were to stop navigation, that doesn't stop Nokia Drive from tracking you in real time. I know this for a fact because I did stop the navigation, closed the program and kept driving, and it kept sending alarms to me that I was speeding.
2.) Blocking the program from working in the background basically means that it's not allowed to track or provide navigation for you. Since GPS tracking in of itself is highly taxing since it is constantly searching for several solid satellite links, so stopping this from happening = massive battery savings.

I had Nokia Drive run in the background for 2 hours one day and say that by half way through the day i was already at 30% battery left. After blocking this program from running in the background, it is now the end of the day, and only now does it read 30% battery left.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I also want to point out that location services draining battery, is not a new exclusive issue.

The iPhone 5 also had the same problem with Maps leaving location services on permanently. I helped a co worker turn it off and it helped his battery dramatically.

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I also want to point out that location services draining battery, is not a new exclusive issue.

The iPhone 5 also had the same problem with Maps leaving location services on permanently. I helped a co worker turn it off and it helped his battery dramatically.

yup I've always been weary of background location services on all of my previous iPhones. I quickly learned which icon meant an app was using my location on this 920. Now just need to learn more about which ones are using it, and how to disable that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa