I want to switch from but be honest - what will I absolutely miss from iOS?

Tilemaker

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This thread is not meant to bash any other OS or start any flame wars. I am a long time iPhone user. It's not a ****** thing, I just like the things it does and the way it does them. However I am absolutely in love with the new windows phones. I think they're gorgeous, and the OS seems like so much fun.

So I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting a Lumia 920!

So I have read a lot, and researched. I know it's still a young platform, app ecosystem isn't quite there yet, yada yada. But what I'd like is honest feedback from any other switchers - what will I miss the most moving from iOS to WP8?

Your honest responses will be greatly appreciated.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Knowing when the next update will be released, and what devices will be supported, ahead of time. Apple does the best job with updates. When it's released, it's put out there for all their products that support it.

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Drive is quite good. I had a little trouble with it a few weeks ago when going to this Halloween thing in a VERY rural area, but my friend who has an iPhone gave the same exact route. That's the only issue I've encountered.

Can't comment otherwise since I haven't used an iPhone.

jbwpcentral

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
This thread is not meant to bash any other OS or start any flame wars. I am a long time iPhone user. It's not a ****** thing, I just like the things it does and the way it does them. However I am absolutely in love with the new windows phones. I think they're gorgeous, and the OS seems like so much fun.

So I have read a lot, and researched. I know it's still a young platform, app ecosystem isn't quite there yet, yada yada. But what I'd like is honest feedback from any other switchers - what will I miss the most moving from iOS to WP8?

Hey I just switch from being a committed IOS user. All my friends have an iphone, and they all think im crazy for getting the Lumia 920.

Things to think about:
  • Imessage
  • Ipod = this is completely and virtually seamlessly replaced by windows phone media player, but I can tell you from experiance it's just as good as ios
  • The apps - Youll hear it alot, windows phone does have less apps, but what peopel tend to glaze over is that WP has alot of the basic apps you need or want like flixster for movies or kindle for reading and so on..
  • Build quality - i personally have never owned a Nokia, and Apple makes quaility products ( in terms of materials and build quality.) I wasnt sure how i felt about going back to a plastic phone, but from what i've heard it's very durable
  • Siri - Microsoft has tellme, which is like a basic siri, you can send text messages, launch apps, etc..
But what sold me on the lumia is:
The camera - night shots are better then any other camera
Nokia music - Nokia creates custom playlists for you to listen to and download for free, no ads or skip limits.
Wireless charging - a convenience apple over looks.
Live tiles - a way better way receive data and have a more interactive experience.

Thats about it i think let me know if you have any questions my lumia comes tomorrow..i hope

Last edited:

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

There is room for both you can always keep your IOS device with you and use the apps while you can snap low light photos using your L920

Brian McBride

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Tilemaker,

I moved from the iPhone4 to the 920. Here is what I miss about the iPhone:

1. WP8 itself is slick and fast, but I am seeing a lot of the apps here and there in rough stages. Not crashing, but just not polished. Take a timer for instance - nothing comes with WP8 and the current timers are just "ok". World clock too, I think all the world clock apps suck.

2. Headphones! Last year, I couldn't find a pair of headphones other than Apple that had volume control inline. Now, I can barely find headphones that don't to work perfectly with non-Apple devices. Basically, if headphones are made only for Apple, they won't work right on Android or WP8 phones. Some of the more expensive brands support both, like the Dr. Dre headsets. However, often volume controls won't work (all the others do).

3. Of course, there are tons of other iPhone accessories you won't have access to. But, that's not too horrible. I'm finding I'm using Bluetooth more and more to stream audio to speakers and if the unit is an Apple dock, it usually has a headphone jack in it to use a straight through cable on. But it is a knock.

4. There are a few app holes. 80% of what I want is there. Of that, a portion needs some refinement to make me happy. It is very akin to earlier iOS days when apps were being developed and people were still figuring out the Apple SDK and stylings. I am eagerly awaiting Pandora, and Skype - for instance. I'd also like LogMeIn to make an ignition client for WP8.

5. I'd like to have Chrome on WP8. Explorer is great and runs better than expected. But I like the tab interface Google made with Chrome better. I hope they decide to make a WP8 client.

I will say, the deep integration of Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn, etc.. is very cool. The people hub idea works well. I am NOT a big social media guy, yet now I am actually finding it way useful. If anything, it really fills out my contact list. My business contacts get their LinkedIn profile data worked in there and my friends get their facebook data worked in (I keep the two separate).

Google really needs to get Google+ in there, otherwise if WP8 gets successful, it will just be another hurdle for Google's social service.

Overall, I like WP8 more than the iPhone. You won't think it is slow and I love the tiles over the sea of icons iOS is. However, you'll also be reliving the early iPhone days where you'll be finding the new apps as they are made and dropping the ones that were so-so in favor of something better.

TheBigJMoney

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
If you have the time the best thing to do is just go into a store and play around with the phone (especially the App Store). I did that at an ATT store and found that most of the apps I "need" were available but that some of them absolutely sucked. For example, the ABC News app on WP8 is little more than a portal to the website versus a self-contained app. Also, there are few high quality sports and fantasy football apps. Even without those apps, I'm bored enough with Apple to make the switch.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Some tiny details you are going to miss: screen orientation lock; separate volume control for speaker/headphones; built-in timer, stopwatch, compass

Tilemaker

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you have the time the best thing to do is just go into a store and play around with the phone (especially the App Store). I did that at an ATT store and found that most of the apps I "need" were available but that some of them absolutely sucked. For example, the ABC News app on WP8 is little more than a portal to the website versus a self-contained app. Also, there are few high quality sports and fantasy football apps. Even without those apps, I'm bored enough with Apple to make the switch.

I have played with it in the store, but that really doesn't give you a sense of living with the OS day to day. Obviously I'll just need to find out for myself but the input here has been tremendously helpful.

Kelly Prophet

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Some good replies already...

Coming from an iPhone 4 to the Lumia 920 here's what I've got for gripes:

1) No physical switch to go from vibrate to ring. I am in and out of meetings all day - I don't want to have to fiddle with my phone to change the ring settings. The iPhone did this very well with a small, easily accessible switch.

2) Singular volume control shared betweens apps and the ringer. What? What sense does that even make? If I'm in an app and I turn the volume up for my app, I just turned my ringer up, as well. To me, this is probably the must frustrating bit. Granted, if you have your phone set to vibrate it's not a huge issue but I go back and forth between. It's a convenience thing - and WP8 is not winning any awards from me in the convenience department on this subject.

3) Internet Explorer - you're locked in. Much like on iOS you are locked into Safari. Even the third party browsers are still really just repackaged Safari. Same thing on Windows Phone 8. Yes, IE can surf websites and it's fairly smooth - but you have limited options and I, personally, am no fan of Microsoft's browsers. They have a history of trying to force their own standards and compatability issues.

I saw this right away when I tried to log into my banks website. To say it is difficult to manage my account would be an understatement. Granted, I was not using the 'mobile' version, I don't feel I should have to - either. I used the non-mobile version on my iPhone on a regular basis with no issues.

To me, that's WP8's biggest downfall - the browser. The other things I think will be fixed in time. I don't, however, think Microsoft will ever open up to other browsers being available without a court order forcing them to do so.

I also don't really expect them to make the browser itself better, because IE has been at the bottom of the pool, in terms of quality, for the better part of a decade.

Overall, though, vs my iPhone 4 I love my Nokia Lumia 920. It's not giant or heavy like the reviewers have cried. My tiny little 5' 4" wife manages the phone (she got one as well) quite fine, and has no complaints. It doesn't feel heavier in hand than my iPhone 4 did, although I am fully aware it technically 'is' heavier - it just doesn't feel it. (Opinion, obviously)

Those are really my only gripes.

I know a lot of folks have gripes about apps - and I had hundreds of apps on my iPhone 4 - but I found that most were duplicates and the vast majority of them really were sub-par.

Well, it's not much different in WP8. What IS different in WP8 is that I've already been around and seen the majority of games -- so when I see a block slider game... well, I've already had 20 of those on the iPhone so I don't really want another, already burned out.

The majority of the apps I'm interested in I've found already. It's obviously a younger marketplace. The only really bad thing I can say about it is that it seems there are a lot of WP7 apps that are there. There's really no way to tell what an app was designed for - and WP7 apps sometimes lack in terms of features. Largely because the OS didn't support things when the app was made. This also skews reviews a lot - as people are complaining about the app not doing things they want - but those things weren't supported in WP7x and now it's supported in WP8 and the app does it.

Just kinda messy. Then you mix in a bunch of xBox live apps that are much more expensive than an iOS user is accustom to paying (Some are $6-7!).

I think a lot of that will clear up over time. As more apps come in - I expect MS will clear out a large amount of the clutter and organize things better. Right now, every app - no matter how bad - is still +1 on their app count. Can't say it's any better on iOS or Android - both of those markets are full of garbage, too.

In a nutshell, I'm glad I switched. Really annoyed by those top 3 things, though. Especially the ringer sharing volume with the apps - there's no excuse for that one.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Some good replies already...

Coming from an iPhone 4 to the Lumia 920 here's what I've got for gripes:

1) No physical switch to go from vibrate to ring. I am in and out of meetings all day - I don't want to have to fiddle with my phone to change the ring settings. The iPhone did this very well with a small, easily accessible switch.

Agreed, there should be a quicker way to switch profiles. It's a glaring omission.

2) Singular volume control shared betweens apps and the ringer. What? What sense does that even make? If I'm in an app and I turn the volume up for my app, I just turned my ringer up, as well. To me, this is probably the must frustrating bit. Granted, if you have your phone set to vibrate it's not a huge issue but I go back and forth between. It's a convenience thing - and WP8 is not winning any awards from me in the convenience department on this subject.

Agreed, this is annoying and I thought for sure it would have been resolved in WP8.

3) Internet Explorer - you're locked in. Much like on iOS you are locked into Safari. Even the third party browsers are still really just repackaged Safari. Same thing on Windows Phone 8. Yes, IE can surf websites and it's fairly smooth - but you have limited options and I, personally, am no fan of Microsoft's browsers. They have a history of trying to force their own standards and compatability issues.

Agreed. I very rarely have a problem with IE on the phone, but it is annoying to be locked into one browser, especially when it is one that isn't compliant with the most widely used standard (Webkit). We need real 3rd party options.

I saw this right away when I tried to log into my banks website. To say it is difficult to manage my account would be an understatement. Granted, I was not using the 'mobile' version, I don't feel I should have to - either. I used the non-mobile version on my iPhone on a regular basis with no issues.

Understood. Though using the mobile version isn't a big deal, it's not as "pretty" but you're there to check your balance, not look at pretty HTML5 graphics. Web developers need to step up to the plate here too and not just optimize their sites for Webkit only.

I also don't really expect them to make the browser itself better, because IE has been at the bottom of the pool, in terms of quality, for the better part of a decade.

That hasn't really be true for a while. IE sucked on Windows XP and ever since then people keep blindly repeating the IE sucks mantra. I'm a Mac user, so I am no Microsoft apologist, believe me, but IE 9 and IE 10 are excellent and just as good as any other browser for the most part. Certainly as good as Safari that's for sure.

Overall, though, vs my iPhone 4 I love my Nokia Lumia 920. It's not giant or heavy like the reviewers have cried.

I was one of those who really dreaded the increase in weight over the Lumia 900, but I'm surprised to say it is a non-issue. If anything the 920 is more comfortable to use because they did a better job of shaping it for better ergonomics than the 900.

I think a lot of that will clear up over time. As more apps come in - I expect MS will clear out a large amount of the clutter and organize things better. Right now, every app - no matter how bad - is still +1 on their app count. Can't say it's any better on iOS or Android - both of those markets are full of garbage, too.

Agreed. There's a decent selection of apps now with only a handful of missing popular apps and I think we will see a large number of new WP8 optimized apps coming out in 2013. You're absolutely right on the app count too. I care about the apps I want, not some arbitrary number. iOS or Android having 200,000 more crappy bikini girl apps to wade through doesn't impress me. :p

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I, personally, am no fan of Microsoft's browsers. They have a history of trying to force their own standards and compatability issues.

Sorry, but coming from an iOS switcher, this made me laugh just a bit more than the time it took to read the rest of your post. Actually the rest of your post was tainted by me thinking about this comment repeatedly. Other than that I agree with some of your comments.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The iPhones silence switch was a stroke of genius and I really miss it when I walk into a meeting at work and I have to pull the damn thing out of my pocket, hit the lock button, then the volume rocker, then the vibrate button and then lock it again. Ballache.

The ringer volume going along with all other volume is really annoying as the other poster said up there. Its really frustrating but I can just about live with it.

Podcast apps. I used to use Downcast on the iPhone and it was brilliant. Windows Phone 8 Podcast apps are crap. No offence to any developers but they are. Sorry. I need a decent podcast app top come out. Settled for WPodder at the moment but its not great.

Camera speed. I could take about 1 photo every half a second on my iPhone. I had to do that to get a photo of my kids. They never stay still so I need to take about 10 photos to get one that comes out ok. The HTC 8X takes one photo every second at best. Minor issue but it bugs me a bit.

Hmm.. what else. Oh yeah, the music player in WP8 is god damn awful compared to the iPhone. Simple as that. It plays music, thats about it. Everything else is basic, no seek function on tracks, missing artwork, it tags things wrong over your own tags. Blah blah crap.

BUT...... Its a big but to!

BUT, this OS is ****ing great. Its fast, slick, nice to look at, original, interesting and exciting. Its got good apps. Not many of them yet but they are coming. Its getting better every day. The hardware is good. HTC 8X is great. The live tiles are cool and useful. The People Hub is incredible. It actually works better than I expected. The social network integrations is superb.

Honest to god this OS is right up there. Its just going to take a bit of time for the developers to get on board and get this thing moving and shaking. I think it will happen though.

As an ex iPhone user of 3 years (a 3GS and a 4S) and as an iPad owner, I can tell you for a fact that I love this damn phone and the software on it. I do not miss my iPhone. I just miss those few features I mentioned above. No biggy.

Oh and just for the record. I like the IE Browser. I think its quick and streamlined and I prefer it to Safari. I just think it needs better access to the tabs. Other than that its all good.

mshaw2k

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Scienide ur a brave man coming here and picking faults in our OS(only joking) ur absolutely right and as an ex Iphone 3, 4 and jumped ship at 4s i agree. There a number of things that apple do right. Gettin in first is the main one. I love the WP7 and now WP8 os its second to none, i have tried using an iphone since i moved and i just cannot, everything is so static and boring. So far i have had a Titan, a lumia 800, a lumia 900 and i am now on the 920. The problem i find with all these phones and indeed the os is is this, e.g. if u take a person new to Smart Phones and give him the Iphone and the WP for a day he would no doubt choose the WP, coz it looks better, it works better it feels better. Its a better experience. But after a time you realise that we just ain't yet ticked all the boxes, we are slowly and i dare say that we will eventually, hopefully when its not too late. So far i have managed to get 6 people to move from IOS or android to a WP, 3 are happy and 3 are not. And i find that you have the biggest problem when u go in and look at what is missing and compare to the iphone l, instead try to look at what is there, personnaly i could never go back to ios, yes the apps are there, yes they have refind it. But it is just s?#t to use. Whenever i try and get people on board with WP i put a rider on it. If u want integration with sky, if u want 4od, bbc iPlayer, angry birds And everything else iphone has, dont get a windows phone. If u want something good, something sexy and the CHOICE of some of the best hardware manufacturers in the industry do. And as we can see we got angry birds star wars for 79p. So if not anything else this is a sign we will fill the gaps. Its just gonna take time.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Nokia music - Nokia creates custom playlists for you to listen to and download for free, no ads or skip limits.

On my 920 there is definitely skip limits and you can't download for free. You can make mixes 'offline'. All that does is make the station you're listening to download the next 12-20 songs it was going to play downloaded to your phone temporarily. It's handy for sure, but it's not the same as downloading songs you want for free. After 6 skips, it tells me that due to licensing issues I cannot skip anymore.

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

The licencing misspelling is great :)

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Switching from iOS myself to WP8 I know that I will miss all the latest and greatest apps. That's my #1 sadface.

iOS always gets the best version of every app. Usually the most updated as well.

The trade-off is a better OS with a faster web-browsing experience and better native apps (email, maps, navigation, music) I am into Xbox and love the integration also.

I won't miss iTunes I can tell you that. Even when I deal with iTunes on my mac-book it's less than optimal for managing music. However it's a great application to organize and get album art. It's just clunky as **** when actually using it to import, export, burn, transfer... etc.

WP8 is just different! I love VZW's tagline for their WP8's saying "So advanced it's simple." It's very true. It allows you to get deeper into the OS than iOS but it's not completely customizeable to where it's easy to break like Android. It's simple, but it has customizeability where it's needed most and allows for better user experience.

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I made the move from IOS to WP8 after being an iPhone user from Day 1. No regrets at all. The issues mentioned above echo my own. Let's hope MS addresses these.

I did try dipping my feet in the Android waters a while back, but that lasted a week before I returned sheepishly to the iFold. I have no such issues with WP8. In fact my observation is that the interface really makes it apparent how moribund the IOS interface now is. For it's time it was a game changer, but nothing substantive has happened since. WP8 brings a new level of integration and ease of use which Apple would do well to heed.

On the app front, there are a few missing. Having said that I had loads of apps that were never used, so I don't really miss them. Regarding quality of apps one of my most used "London Travel" combines the functions of three apps I had on the iPhone and does a better and neater job. So not all the WP8 apps are found wanting.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the ecosystem is the biggest thing with WP vs. iOS, although it's been blown out of proportion. It's not about how many apps the platform has, or apps that would cover a basic smartphone users' needs. The iPhone always gets the greatest, newest apps first, as well as the cool new ways to interact with the world - I suppose you would call this accessories. ;) WP is still sort of left in the dust.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss