Windows phone 8 email bug / lumia 920

STM 69

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
My messaging app starting acting funny as well. Taking 1 hour+ to deliver texts.
Is there any way to prevent this 'security setting' that requires you to tell it to download images in each email? Very annoying. Also, just noticed that if I forward an email, it's actually forwarded as an .eml attachment- can this be turned off someplace?

ghawkescs

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure

Is there any way to prevent this 'security setting' that requires you to tell it to download images in each email? Very annoying. Also, just noticed that if I forward an email, it's actually forwarded as an .eml attachment- can this be turned off someplace?

I believe the images not being downloaded in the emails is also a way to save bandwidth. I am not sure how to change this setting.

When I forward an email it just seems to send a 'normal' email and not an attachment. I have tried this with Google and Office365 accounts.

ghawkescs

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Other issues

Also related to my email syncing issues:

Trying to open the email app just crashed back to the Start screen. If I close all running instances of the email app then I can get it to open.

Sometimes when opening the email and account settings it will crash back to the main settings screen.

Anyone else seeing these issues as well?

STM 69

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe the images not being downloaded in the emails is also a way to save bandwidth. I am not sure how to change this setting.

When I forward an email it just seems to send a 'normal' email and not an attachment. I have tried this with Google and Office365 accounts.

this happens with my Exchange account. Never had this issue with IOS.

brudolph1211

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
My bug list

I to have had similar issues. Scrolling through my email and BAM back to the start screen. Reading an email, BAM back to the start screen. Sometimes nothing showed up in my inbox. Other times I had a list of emails with (unknown sender) and (no subject) for every email. I went into settings and also had issues where my Microsoft account would just hang at syncing. I have my Microsoft/hotmail account, Exchange account (Work), and my personal email account which is me.com. But for me it isn't isolated to email. I've had Skype crash, Photos, and countless other apps.

Then I also started to get weird problems with txting. I would start a text, tap send, and nothing. It would just sit there. And the persons name at the top whom I was sending the txt to had disappeared. Tap the back button, try again, same result. After several tries and different method of txting someone, it finally worked. Now I'm worried if i'm receiving txts and they aren't getting to my phone. Also in the messaging app under 'online' it said "set up a Microsoft account to chat on Messenger and Facebook". Um hello, I have a Microsoft and Facebook account setup.

I'm also curious if anyone has had a sporadic cell signal bar? Mine seems to jump around on the lock screen. Even when I'm standing in the same spot and not moving around. On my old iPhone 4 I never had the signal bar go up and down that much.

I've tried restarting the phone but that only seems to fix things temporarily. So looks like I will be trying a restore. This has been a very exciting and frustrating journey so far. I really hope Microsoft is working on some updates.

jrpeters89

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Same Problem

Hey All,

Looks like everyone is having a similar problem here. I got the Lumia 920 yesterday and everything was working fine until about 10:00am this morning. My emails are stuck in sync mode and I can't delete or open emails without the App crashing.

I have also had the texting issue (I would click the button, but it wouldn't send), but I just fully closed out that application and that finally worked.

The email thing is a real issue and I see that a bunch of people here have reset their phones. I have never had a windows phone before and I know how to do a regular shut down, but could anyone help me out with doing a reset like most of you are taking about?

Andrew Foley

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey All,

Looks like everyone is having a similar problem here. I got the Lumia 920 yesterday and everything was working fine until about 10:00am this morning. My emails are stuck in sync mode and I can't delete or open emails without the App crashing.

I have also had the texting issue (I would click the button, but it wouldn't send), but I just fully closed out that application and that finally worked.

The email thing is a real issue and I see that a bunch of people here have reset their phones. I have never had a windows phone before and I know how to do a regular shut down, but could anyone help me out with doing a reset like most of you are taking about?

Phone reset is under "about" in the settings. Make sure you back up your photos and videos first. If you have it setup to sync/backup to your MS account then the phone does a good job of reinstalling apps and reapplying certain settings.

wpc posted this issue today attributing it to gmail syncing issues.
I've had this issue with and without gmail synced to my phone. Before and after a phone reset. I'm syncing exchange, 2 outllooks and facebook. I can't email, message or post from the Me app. In "accounts" it just says that all my accounts are syncing constantly. Phone reset fixed it for 1 day but it's back at it again. The send button in messaging is unresponsive for me just like you all.

ghawkescs

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
More texting issues

Hey All,

I'm having a lot of texting issues too. My Microsoft account is still stuck at syncing and my texts aren't going through. It is sometimes taking me 4+ hours to receive texts and when they come through the phone does not buzz or show a number in the messaging live tile.

Gadgetman110

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a lot of texting issues too. My Microsoft account is still stuck at syncing and my texts aren't going through. It is sometimes taking me 4+ hours to receive texts and when they come through the phone does not buzz or show a number in the messaging live tile.
My phone has been acting odd all day. I noticed my Live, Twitter and Comcast accounts stuck on syncing. I tried a reset and now my phone is stuck on the Nokia splash screen. I've tried the volume down/camera button down/power down reset s few times and no luck. Seems to be dead :(

Sure hope they all aren't like this. I LOVE this phone.

Corbin Mitchell

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It looks like this issue is being caused by Skype. Email is working fine after uninstalling Skype.
+1 with Sivz, I had the problem with all my accounts greyed out and showing as syncing. E-mail would crash, contacts would crash, didn't try texting.

I uninstalled Skype, rebooted.... everything working now.

After I installed Skype, I tried to login with MS account and it told me I needed to merge my accounts, I went to the Skype website and did that and after logging into Skype on the phone is when the problem started happening. Not sure if that's what causes the constant sync issue, but figured it was worth mentioning.

ghawkescs

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Same here, uninstalled Skype and things have been running smoothly for the past couple of hours.

I had to reboot my phone after the uninstall for everything to work.

Andrew Foley

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Didn't work for me. I uninstalled skype and rebooted. Having the same issue. Some accounts are greyed out and syncing... but never do sync. Email crashes. I can't select emails or long press them. Send button in messaging does nothing. Not receiving messages. My accounts are MS/outlook, Nokia, facebook, exchange, linkedin, personal imap.

spliffmonkey187

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys just wanted to add to the woes that seem to be plaguing alot of WP8 users out there.

Phone: Nokia Lumia 920
Network: Orange EE UK

Sync Issue, Email Bug, insane vibration due to skype:

I am getting the same email bug that everyone else and the OP has posted and oddly enough its not only on my GMail account but also my MS live account and Outlook Account . I did install Skype and oddly enough these issues seemed to have started when on my Windows 8 PC i was told to merge my skype account to my microsoft account. I have done what other posters have advised [uninstalling skype > reset > should be all fixed] but that has failed to take any effect.

I am not sure if any of you have also noticed but must if not all 'active feeds' I.e. People hub's Whats new as well as the one in the Photo hub. Trying to enter these areas gives me the error "We can't connect to your feeds at the moment". And yes i did make sure i am connected on WiFi and 3G internet when testing out these two issues i am having.

Is it just me or is there a connection to Skype and the merging of MS accounts? i am highly doubtful this is a hardware issue.

Then the last issue i have had with my lumia 920, i realised that skype while active in the background if you receive multiple messages via skype and/or a skype call your vibration goes insane and actual remanins on until you reset your phone. had it happen to me 3 times yesterday. Seems MS is being tightlipped about these issues so far though, lets hope the community can force them to get these issues fixed asap, having customers have to Hard reset devices or go in and trade for new ones is a ridiculous way of fixing what may be a simple bug fix.

spliffmonkey187

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok so after some fiddling around i think i have found a way to get it all working again without the need for a hard reset.

From what i can make out the source of email bug and live feeds breakdown (as far as i can tell, i am not part of the MS support team) is Microsoft Account merging. If you happen to be on a Windows 8 device and you told it to merge your skype account while you were logged in on yuor regular skype username then this problem propagates to the ret of the phone, probably some sort of conflict with the user accounts and WP8 trying to make heads and tails of whats going on. This also seems to be the case for ANY accounts that your Microsoft account CAN merge with eg. Google, linked-in, Outlook, Twitter and Flickr etc (check on your MS account page and see what you have told it to merge with)

My way of fixing it:-

-Switch phone to Flight mode & TURN OFF wifi

-Now uninstall Skype (and any apps that uses twitter or any other 'mergable' account)

- Delete ALL accounts apart from your MS account (it wont let you delete it)

- Facebook might give you problems deleting it saying 'attention required' if it does then reset your phone and try again it should eventually let you delete it.

-Now you only have your MS account on there now reset your phone.

-Once your phone is on switch on wifi and turn flight mode off.

-Now on a computer or via the phones browser log on to your MS account and check that ALL your merged accounts are in order.

-Now go to email and accounts and start adding them one by one (i did facebook first to make sure my feeds came back to life)

-After you have add all your accounts check that your emails get synced. Test them by sending them emails and entering the client works properly.

-Once that is shown to work install Skype and Twitter or whatever apps you used to use and MAKE SURE to log on with your MS ACC (skype gives you the option on the bottom do it)

- Your phone should now be syncing and back to normal without the hassle of a hard reset.

Give that a try and lets see if that works for the rest of you.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I did merge my Skype account with Microsoft account on the phone. Its possible this is what created the problem. Others said uninstalling Skype fixed it.

Ok so after some fiddling around i think i have found a way to get it all working again without the need for a hard reset.

From what i can make out the source of email bug and live feeds breakdown (as far as i can tell, i am not part of the MS support team) is Microsoft Account merging. If you happen to be on a Windows 8 device and you told it to merge your skype account while you were logged in on yuor regular skype username then this problem propagates to the ret of the phone, probably some sort of conflict with the user accounts and WP8 trying to make heads and tails of whats going on. This also seems to be the case for ANY accounts that your Microsoft account CAN merge with eg. Google, linked-in, Outlook, Twitter and Flickr etc (check on your MS account page and see what you have told it to merge with)

My way of fixing it:-

-Switch phone to Flight mode & TURN OFF wifi

-Now uninstall Skype (and any apps that uses twitter or any other 'mergable' account)

- Delete ALL accounts apart from your MS account (it wont let you delete it)

- Facebook might give you problems deleting it saying 'attention required' if it does then reset your phone and try again it should eventually let you delete it.

-Now you only have your MS account on there now reset your phone.

-Once your phone is on switch on wifi and turn flight mode off.

-Now on a computer or via the phones browser log on to your MS account and check that ALL your merged accounts are in order.

-Now go to email and accounts and start adding them one by one (i did facebook first to make sure my feeds came back to life)

-After you have add all your accounts check that your emails get synced. Test them by sending them emails and entering the client works properly.

-Once that is shown to work install Skype and Twitter or whatever apps you used to use and MAKE SURE to log on with your MS ACC (skype gives you the option on the bottom do it)

- Your phone should now be syncing and back to normal without the hassle of a hard reset.

Give that a try and lets see if that works for the rest of you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo