Bing Maps

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I know that Nokia Maps is the "official" mapping application on WP8, but honestly I prefer Bing Maps (the traffic feature on Nokia Maps seems inferior to Bing Maps). Bing Maps is still installed, as it's launched by virtually every app, but there is no way to launch it directly. Does anyone know how to go into Bing Maps directly?

-R

Totalfixation

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Another problem with nokia maps is you cant do voice command on it.

I dont mind the nokia maps so much. Might be a factor of getting use to it, but without the voice command to input my address it could be very unuseful to me.

Last edited:

glassadam

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I just miss the way Bing maps did that cool fade in thing when you'd zoom in or out really quickly. It was a really neat and clever way to mask the loading, whereas Nokia maps just does what every other mapper does with squares that just abruptly get filled in.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I dont mind the nokia maps so much. Might be a factor of getting use to it, but without the voice command to input my address it could be very unuseful to me.

I could not agree with this more. I am making the transition from android where google maps and google navigation had this feature and it worked very well. I could touch the search button on my phone, hit the mic button, and say "navigate to..." and it would pull up the navigation app in google maps and start the process. It worked almost flawlessly.

I dearly hope that nokia drive and maps will get that integration, preferably from the search screen or the voice command function.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Do this:

I just held the home button to start voice and said "Search (my address)". The top result was a small map with my address. I clicked on it and then clicked on the link with my address on the map. Clicked on direction and it instantly opened up Nokia Drive with turn by turn voice directions.

It works great.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Do this:

I just held the home button to start voice and said "Search (my address)". The top result was a small map with my address. I clicked on it and then clicked on the link with my address on the map. Clicked on direction and it instantly opened up Nokia Drive with turn by turn voice directions.

It works great.

That worked ok for a city search. I'll have to try it out with some specific addresses. Thanks for the tip!

Either way, it would be a smart function to include in the app itself or to provide a "navigate to" function in the start voice.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
That worked ok for a city search. I'll have to try it out with some specific addresses. Thanks for the tip!

Either way, it would be a smart function to include in the app itself or to provide a "navigate to" function in the start voice.

I hear you. But it does work for specific addresses too. I just did it! In fact, I think it works extremely well.

Billy Donkervoet

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I wrote a free app that just opens Bing Maps. You can find it in the store under the name FastMaps or you can go to the site here.

It was just published to the store today but I already submitted a bug fix; there was a problem with the location detection. It still opens Bing Maps but the option to open to your current location is broken without the update, which should go through quickly.

Thanks and enjoy!

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I hear you. But it does work for specific addresses too. I just did it! In fact, I think it works extremely well.

Yep, I have used it several times now, with good success. What I have found is that if I don't add the word "map" at the end of my query, it won't always pull a map up. So, for example I would say something like "search for, 555 main street, Chicago, Illinois, map". That has worked every time I have tried it.

Having said that, I still believe that not having a voice search navigation option built into Nokia Drive is a big omission and should be remedied. It also should tell if exits and locations are on the right or left.

Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa