Cannot play voicemail .wav files

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, its not changable on out VoIP system. And honestly, if it worked on wp7.5, and continues to work on all ios, I shouldn't have to change it on my end.

What happens if Apple stops licensing that codec? Then it won't work on anything. :)

We are going to change the codec we use on Cisco. We are a large company so it will take us a little while for testing and stuff, but with it already a pain on Android, and now not working on WP8, that is really our best option. If Apple stops supporting it for some reason we would be really screwed.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
That makes no sense, you already have the voice mail on a 3rd party system (your phone) what matters how you listen to it.

BUT, the new "phone in a box" systems from cisco are just ass. We have a an older Mitel system and i've had this issue on 2 androids, I've just started downloading mx player to listen to them, and google music plays them fine.

this is an issue, if M$ can't license a 20 year old codec... i'm pretty sure our system only as one codec, it's pretty basic, we only have 18 ppl, but we support close to 2000, so I tend to get a few voice mails when i'm traveling. Why is this an issue in 2012?

iHeartInfoTech

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There is a short discussion about this on the Nokia Forum. Perhaps if that forum got a few more hits we'd get an official nod from a Mod that a solution is in the works. I too an experiencing this most annoying inconvenience with my Verizon FiOS VM attachments. I mean a device running Windows not being able to play a simple .wav file. Makes me sad. However, I choose to remain hopeful. I love my Windows Phone!

You can also post up on the Windows Phone Feature Suggestion Board

Let us be heard...

pkvillager

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I wasnt too worried about this since I get my VM's as attachments and text but now its bugging me. I am an Avaya phone system engineer and our MM VM system sends VM's in email as a wav. My 920 wont play it so I moved my account from MM to Exchange UM. Still wont play the wav, so I changed my codec on my account to wma, STILL wont play. Ill try PCM next.

I cant believe this made it out to the street, not one MS engineer tried to play a wav or wma from an email attachment?!

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My cloud phone provider was also able to change my file type to MP3 and that works for me.

But clearly, the codec issues still needs to be resolved.

-m

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I saw in a thread in the 8X forum someone said his device does play .wav files now but I haven't been able to verify myself since ATT hasn't pushed the update yet.

tomcahill

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I installed the update that Nokia just rolled out on my 920 and can confirm that I am still unable to play my voicemail .wav files.

I presume the HTC updated will be the same as far as the Windows Phone OS is concerned. I just happen to have a HTC 8X as well so when that update is finally available on Bell in Canada I will confirm.

tomcahill

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
as a temporary solution I found this site:
Voicemail Conversions: - Home

I was able to setup my account so my voicemails go there, get converted, then get sent to my email address.

It works great and I was able to setup my account so the originals are deleted automatically which lessens any privacy concerns for me.

Frankprivat

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello!
Now that I have a Nokia 920 it says the file type is unsupported. This will be a big problems for business adoption of Windows Phone 8.
the cause is an error of Microsoft Windows Phone 8th
I hope it will be repaired soon with an update.
Until then, I'll help myself to the service of :wink: :
Voicemail Conversions: - Home
It must be set up once, then it's always automatic.

Greetings
Frank
(Germany)

stevethenerd

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has been cutting back on expenses... As they don't own the .wav file technology, they pay a license fee for every copy of Windows. Removing the codec is supposed to be cost savings... I don't think they had realized how many of us actually use this dated technology. Thank MS ;)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft has been cutting back on expenses... As they don't own the .wav file technology, they pay a license fee for every copy of Windows. Removing the codec is supposed to be cost savings... I don't think they had realized how many of us actually use this dated technology. Thank MS ;)

I used to think that, but everything I've read is that G711 is an open source codec and requires no license. Even if it did cost, they would save next to nothing since they still support it all their other Windows Products. It's a bug and I think it's going to be fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos