Cannot play voicemail .wav files

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

Our voicemail system e-mails us our messages in .wav file attachments. I was able the play them fine on my Titan 1 with Windows Phone 7.5. Now that I have a Nokia 920 it says the file type is unsupported. This will be a big problems for business adoption of Windows Phone 8.

Any ideas on how to get these to play?

Thanks.

-m

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi!

Our voicemail system e-mails us our messages in .wav file attachments. I was able the play them fine on my Titan 1 with Windows Phone 7.5. Now that I have a Nokia 920 it says the file type is unsupported. This will be a big problems for business adoption of Windows Phone 8.

Thanks.

-m

Uggg, Android has the same problem. For whatever reason wav files for voicemail like Cisco and Avaya are encoded in a particular way and Android phones do not support that codec. It used to work then at like Android 2.2 or some verision it just stopped....

We've always told people to download an app like RemoteWav to play them. I wonder if the same thing is going to have to happen on WP?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
That's not cool. I did some more digging and at least it looks like on Cisco Unity we have the ability to change codecs so I am going to start to look at that I guess.

redbluff

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

Thanks.

-m

Same think on HTC 8x. Big issue for me. :mad:

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a solution on how to play them but I did demonstrate this problem to a couple people on the Windows Phone team while I was in Redmond for the Build conference. And the initial opinion was a missing codec, so they are at least aware of it. I'll try to get a follow-up response on it to see what is happening. The same file played on their Windows Phone 7 device, too... so I'm pretty sure they consider it a bug to be fixed on Windows Phone 8.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I wish I knew how stuff like that happens. Same issue on all our Android phones. They used to support our voicemail codec in Avaya, now Cisco, and after like 2.1 of Android they magically stopped. Even brand new Galaxy S3 devices will not play them. I believe the impacted codecs are GSM6.1, and like ULAW and ALAW formats.

On our entire Android fleet we have people download an app called Remote Wav which will play those files. Heck, maybe someday Apple will push out an update that will remove those codecs...

It makes me wonder if somebody owns those codecs and Google, and now Microsoft have decided not to pay to license them anymore and that is why they get removed? That is the only possible thing I can think of. It's been a problem on Android for like 2 years and they've not fixed it so I can't think of another reason.

We will proably end up modifying the codec we use to save voicemails, but as a larger company we just can't do that overnight.

evilkingteapot

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely killing me. I upgraded from a WM6.5 TP2 and even that played the wav files fine.

I'm almost positive some codec license must have expired - hoping someone will be able to get new codecs on the phone.

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
All:

I asked our telecom vendor about this, and they were able to tweak my mailbox to send me mp3's instead of wav's. Solved my problem instantly, and only took them about a minute logging in remotely. FWIW, we've got a Mitel NuPoint voice mail system.

Alan

mhunter6378

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have been watching this thread and researching this topic everywhere I can since this is an issue for me. All my business voicemails get forwarded to me through email. We use the Mitel IP phone system that sends out the voicemail as a wav file that will not play on the Lumia 920. All the other smartphones I used over the past years, Blackberry, iPhone, Lumia 900 and Galaxy S3, played the files natively without issue. Now for whatever reason the latest and greatest Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 will not. I am disappointed with this but it is not a deal breaker for me. I have other ways to get my voicemails and I love this phone too much just to give up and switch to another phone that I would not like as much. Anyway, there are threads on Nokia's Support and also Answers at Microsoft. Also there is a User Feature Suggestion thread on Microsoft's Windows Phone site where you can post comments and place a vote to support getting this feature added, I have included the links below if you are interested. Hope this helps and maybe we can get this feature added soon.

Nokia Support Discussions - Lumia 920 email wav file attachment won't play - Nokia Support Discussions

I GET MY VOICEMAILS EMAILED TO ME IN A WAV FILE.... BUT NOW THE NEW - Microsoft Community

Support .wav file. It's obscured that you don't. I get voicemails via email and can't play them. Retuned the phone same day.

bigdjunk

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I just discovered this today at work, and I am afraid that I may have to return the Nokia 822's and get stupid I-phones. :(
One would have thought MS would have worked closely with its partners to discover this. I mean Cisco is HUGE. What, you guys (meaning MS) missed this?!?

I am seriously bummed. I really liked this phone :(

doors6626

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You have to change the codec that you're UM is on. GSM 711 MU-LAW did not work with our system. We changed it and Linear PCM worked. It also worked on iPhone/BB.

madmoondog

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, its not changable on out VoIP system. And honestly, if it worked on wp7.5, and continues to work on all ios, I shouldn't have to change it on my end.

PhoneConvert

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
-Disclaimer: I run this website-

If you have a codec like 'GSM 711 MU-LAW' or 'RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 8 bit' or 'GSM 6.10', my website phoneconvert dot com might allow you to still listen/use your Windows 8 phone. Files that have licensed codecs don't work.

Greg

Hardera

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmmph. I just discovered the issue today as my voicemail system was just changed over to Cisco Unity Connection Messaging. This looks bad on Microsoft and Cisco.
I wish there was a way to know if Microsoft/Nokia/Cisco are working on this and an expected fix date. <sad panda>

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786