Syncing music with WMP creates duplicates of every track

xyon01

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
At the end of last week I finally got my hands on a Lumia 920 & while there are a few gripes (mostly getting used to a new OS, had my last phone for 4 years) there's one really big issue: MUSIC.

I tried the Windows 7 connector app which crashed whenever it tried to read my 300gig+ music library. I turned to iTunes mode (& wiped that library so it only had a couple of albums) which worked, but the tags were screwed up & made playing albums unusuable. I tried copying straight to the device over USB, but that also created its own mess of tags.

Finally (& based on comments here), I tried Windows Media Player which seems great, I can add albums, etc (it's not perfect & media player found a bunch of music not in the library), BUT when I try to play anything on the phone, each track is listed twice. It's the same in both Xbox & Nokia Music.

If I look in Explorer there appears to be only one copy of each track & if I look in media player on the phone it lists one album under 'unknown artist' & dumps all the music in there in filename order, but still has only one copy of everything.

Short of syncing then deleting every other track on the phone, how the **** am I supposed to get music on this thing?

I dabbled with a WP7 phone last year & loved Zune syncing (particularly wireless with the ability to queue things up for later) but right now I just want to be able to get music on the phone so I can listen to it.

Any thoughts?

Paul Dela Cruz

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
im also having the same issues unfortunately did you find a solution? i might just take this phone back tomorrow and get another one to see if it works...

xyon01

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No luck so far.

I have discovered that the awful Windows 7 connector is listing each track twice on the phone, one of the correct size & one at 0 bytes.

I don't think its a dodgy phone, this is a problem with the OS & the sync software. I'm still trawling forums trying to find out what to do.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Try any other program that supports synch or transfer for iPods or other music players. It should work well while MS updates the WP desktop app.

I'm using J. River Media Center (my favorite music library/player for years) to transfer songs to my 8X and it works wonderfully.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
hmm

I had an iphone 4s before my 920. What I noticed is that a lot of songs got translated to wma from the m4a file format. So when I synced with windows media player my music got converted to wma and the m4a file was on my phone so now I had two of everything.

I went into windows explorer and deleted all the m4a versions of the songs off my 920.

The problem right now is if you had all your music in iTunes . There is no SANE way to do it.

Its actually easier to use the windows phone utility on the mac to get your music from iTunes to your windows phone then it is to do on windows itself.

xyon01

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think I've cured it now.

The Xbox update option is still off on the phone. I used explorer to delete everything in the phones music folder except for the default four folders which I emptied.

Now WMP is syncing one track at a time & can see the albums when I reconnect the phone later on.

All I have to do now is fix WMP's libraries as its finding music it shouldn't.

Thanks for the help.

Eswa

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. Getting all my music on my Lumia is no problem, but keeping up to date with my libary, it suddenly starts adding duplicates!
(I let WMP sync with a part of my collection: the part which has "Sync" as a composing artist (ID3tag) in an automated playlist)

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I've found that the only way Xbox music works right most of the time, is to have W8 laptop with Xbox music pass. Mine was a mess at first as well. I dumped everything and started over. Removed all music locally stored in phone. Then I loaded all of my music to My Music for Xbox music to pull. If album/artist has a cloud symbol on left, it is synced to cloud. If it doesn't you have to go in and manually pick album to sync and sometimes individual songs. Once you get your music library synced to cloud, everything will come through correctly to RT and/or Wp8. (300gb? You may want to switch OS as I don't think it would be worth the time and frustration.) It is a process, but once all music is cloud synced, you can download to phone. I create my playlists and only download that music to phone. I only have about 20gb and it took me all weekend. If you don't have W8 laptop, I don't know how it would work.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
While I don't personally have a WP (I own an SGS3), the girl I'm dating does---Lumia 920. I've been tasked with getting her music, from her itunes library on her laptop, to her Lumia, and it's been a pretty hair-pulling experience for me. I can only imagine what it's like for somebody who isn't as savvy or familiar with other music organization and syncing software outside of iTunes.

This part of the user experience should be Job #1 for the Windows Phone team, on the same level as ramping up the app selection. It can't wait until Windows Phone 8.5 or WP9.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Once you have it all cleared up again, make sure you eject the phone from Windows before you disconnect from the computer. I have found storage corrupts very easily on my 822.
I know this is not the entire problem but I was used to WP7 that did not require eject because Windows did not mount it as a file system. WP8 does.
Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss