internet sharing not connecting to anything

Mike Dominski

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had a Lumia 900 last week and decided to get the new 920 instead. So far the only thing I like about windows phones is the simple user interface. Everything else is just a massive fail. Simple things that should work like a GPS that doesn't loose its signal every 5 min or the ability to close apps without mashing the back button until your at the home screen again. I have no idea what they were thinking being a windows platform and putting so many limitations on their devices. The NFC ability is one reason I grabbed a 920 and the wallet app is joke compared to googles wallet app. I load my debit card onto it and the only thing it has the ability to do is purchase apps. No I want to be able to use my phone as an alternative payment method whenever I see a paypass tag at the register.

Maybe I'm just used to android. Its just sad cuz I'm in love with how everything is do simplified and just flows together.

the final nail in the coffin is this internet sharing thing. It says its enabled but none of my devices will actually connect to it. My wifes iPhone my old optimus elite, laptop, and I even tried the ps3.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I had a Lumia 900 last week and decided to get the new 920 instead. So far the only thing I like about windows phones is the simple user interface. Everything else is just a massive fail. Simple things that should work like a GPS that doesn't loose its signal every 5 min or the ability to close apps without mashing the back button until your at the home screen again. I have no idea what they were thinking being a windows platform and putting so many limitations on their devices. The NFC ability is one reason I grabbed a 920 and the wallet app is joke compared to googles wallet app. I load my debit card onto it and the only thing it has the ability to do is purchase apps. No I want to be able to use my phone as an alternative payment method whenever I see a paypass tag at the register.

Maybe I'm just used to android. Its just sad cuz I'm in love with how everything is do simplified and just flows together.

the final nail in the coffin is this internet sharing thing. It says its enabled but none of my devices will actually connect to it. My wifes iPhone my old optimus elite, laptop, and I even tried the ps3.

I connected my Surface to my Sister-in-law's 920 via Internet Sharing with no issues.

As far as closing apps, you are right. You are use to Android. The urge/need to close apps borders on OCD. Heh. I get it sometimes as well. But, it's entirely unnecessary. As closing out of an app doesn't do anything. The app uses no resources at all and if you open other apps it gets pushed out of memory anyway. But, eventually I'm sure they'll have a way to make the thumbnail go away as this is an oft requested feature.

Your GPS sounds jacked up. I don't get this issue and I have one of the buggiest WP models ever (Dell Venue Pro).

I can't comment on the Wallet experience as I didn't go over that on my brother or sister-in-law's phone and I don't have my device yet.

So, I'm not sure if this is a specific device issue you're having with a few of these. I know the app closing thing is a personal preference and that's understandable. The other items are OS or device related. Maybe return the device for another and see what happens.

jeduhl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920. Seem to have same problem. I can't get internet sharing to work with my Samsung tablet. The tablet connected to my iPhone and computer WiFi network just fine - as well as to a another WiFi hotspot. If I can't get internet sharing fixed phone goes back. Would appreciate any tips or other help from community.

jeduhl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly enough I plugged the phone into a charger and all of a sudden the hotspot worked. Maybe this is partly a side effect of low battery saver routine?

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly enough I plugged the phone into a charger and all of a sudden the hotspot worked. Maybe this is partly a side effect of low battery saver routine?

If your battery was low enough it may have turned off this feature. It may even tell you under Battery Saver if this is one of the features that gets turned off.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Do people ever just return their phones anymore or do they feel they have to come to the internet and whine for a good 10 minutes and that it will fix everything.

It really makes me ma.... OH WAIT! Troll.

Almost got me.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I wish my Windows Phone was more like my Galaxy S III. My Galaxy S III totally beat my Windows Phone in lots of areas:

1) It crashed WAY more often. My WP seems incapable of crashing, while my GSIII outperformed it by crashing three, four, sometimes five times a day.

2) WP lacks the freeze feature of Android. Android freezes regularly, but it looks like Microsoft missed yet another modern smartphone feature by not building in "random freezing" to WP8. MICROSOFT GET IT TOGETHER!

3) Android has 57,000 malware titles, growing at a compounded rate of 1,850% annually (according to Kapersky Security). How many malware apps does Windows Phone have? Can you believe ZERO?!? WP is so lame... tens of thousands of Android malware apps and a pathetic big ZERO for WP.

Mike Dominski

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Sarcasm doesn't help anything.

yesterday morning the drive+ beta app wouldn't get a proper lock on my location. It finds the GPS signal rather quickly but it would show where I was miles off then jump around every once in a while. Worked fine on the way home though.

internet sharing still won't connect to anything. Went through at&t tech support and they pretty much walked me through stuff I tried already. This is a real issue for me seeing as I have no hard line internet access where I live. My Lumia 900 connected to everything fine. But that's the only thing it really did do well.

on a fantasy note, if Microsoft wants to get back in the game I'd like to see a phone that can use any app across all 3 platforms. Not that would ever happen but it's a cool thought

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Right. So your phone isn't working correctly, clearly indicating a broken phone, but you're not returning it. And the only thing your Lumia 900 could do was function as a WiFi modem.

/eyeroll

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sarcasm doesn't help anything.

yesterday morning the drive+ beta app wouldn't get a proper lock on my location. It finds the GPS signal rather quickly but it would show where I was miles off then jump around every once in a while. Worked fine on the way home though.

internet sharing still won't connect to anything. Went through at&t tech support and they pretty much walked me through stuff I tried already. This is a real issue for me seeing as I have no hard line internet access where I live. My Lumia 900 connected to everything fine. But that's the only thing it really did do well.

on a fantasy note, if Microsoft wants to get back in the game I'd like to see a phone that can use any app across all 3 platforms. Not that would ever happen but it's a cool thought

Pretty sure Microsoft will survive without you haha. Just return your phone and go away please. Nobody will care or miss you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb