IE10 (Mobile) and playing videos.

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Using a Lumia 920 (beautiful phone!)

Guys I need some help understanding how the new IE10 works with videos online. I love the new OS, it's very fast and fluid. But there are some things that are quire frustrating and making me regret switching from apple.

The main one is the deficiency in playing a lot of videos on the internet. For example gametrailers.com , many videos on ign.com (mobile version). The reason I ask is because on my older iphone 4 I could play them with no problems. With my Lumia 920, I simply get a blank section of the screen, it's very frustrating. Is there perhaps an app or plugin/update I missed for this feature?

Also, when browsing, how do I get back to the top of a webpage?

Thanks,

U

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The problem doesn't exist with the browser so much as those sites have been coded specifically to play on iOS devices. If those sites were coded to work on WP8 then it would work just as well. This has a lot to do with market share.

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So it just boils down to the fact that these sites have coded specifically for iOS :O

That sucks if it's true. Surely MS kept this in mind when designing IE10 for WP8? I'm sincerely disappointed.

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So it's a coding issue, so these web sites are pro-apple? I thought it was upto the mobile OS's browser to enable their OS to these websites?

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Very disappointing to hear.

So there is nothing I can do about these videos? Even on their mobile site versions they aren't playing :(

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I was a web developer for 7 years, its common practice to do a UA string condition and use different style sheets/javascript/server-side coding depending on the string returned. In order for iOS to play these videos they have mp4 videos replace the flash video. They apparently don't have a condition set for windows devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99