12-24-2013 11:30 PM
75 123
tools
    Man, I hate to say it, but it's the little things like this that **** me off about Microsoft. Why are they so slow to adding small, commonsense features? Do their WP8 staff even have other phones? Isn't it mandatory that in comps like these, they're required to use devices the competition developed, so they can see what are good features to implement/ improve upon? These are the little details that Microsoft are not paying attention to, how, I don't know. Must something like this really need to be submitted to their site by users? MICROSOFT, if you or anyone of your representatives are reading this, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, FAST!
    Something to think about. WP has it basis in simplicity. Microsoft surly knows some might want a feature but wont add it. Why do I think this is. Well it has its basis in security and patents. Plain and simple if Microsoft can give us the feature and keep our device safe and our data secure we get it. There might be security reasons preventing the addition of some features. WP uses sandboxing to keep applications from pulling secure data from one app to the other. Could this be why are developers having a hard time figuring a way to give us this simple option without limiting the security of the device? Could it be that this option when used in the traditional fashion is patented by another entity. All of this plays into what will be made available to us. I am not making excuses for Microsoft am just pointing out that I would rather deal with a device where I have to take a second to adjust the volume once in a while than to have a less secure device or to have to pay more for my device because of a patent lawsuit
    12-29-2012 06:47 AM
    My problem is that when I'm listening to music or Audible with headphones, I need to turn down the volume. Then later, my phone rings or I receive a text and I can't hear it because the volume is at 5/30 and I'm more than 10 ft away.

The answer in my opinion is to provide separate volume controls for different things, but to satisfy those who claim it's too difficult to understand (not sure how) make it so each one by default is locked to the master -- which is pretty much as it is now.

Media, Notification, Ringer and Master would be great.
    Last edited by AfroPhysics; 01-29-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    spiff_p239 and svenhassel like this.
    01-29-2013 10:33 PM
    This made WP uncool?

Welcome to WP Central. Excellent first post.

Edit: Oh, and the solution, a rather clunky one is, turn on vibration i.e. ring+vibrate.
    How is that a solution? I don't think vibrate is going to help him hear the phone in the other room.
    01-30-2013 07:37 AM
    Something to think about. WP has it basis in simplicity. Microsoft surly knows some might want a feature but wont add it. Why do I think this is. Well it has its basis in security and patents. Plain and simple if Microsoft can give us the feature and keep our device safe and our data secure we get it. There might be security reasons preventing the addition of some features. WP uses sandboxing to keep applications from pulling secure data from one app to the other. Could this be why are developers having a hard time figuring a way to give us this simple option without limiting the security of the device? Could it be that this option when used in the traditional fashion is patented by another entity. All of this plays into what will be made available to us. I am not making excuses for Microsoft am just pointing out that I would rather deal with a device where I have to take a second to adjust the volume once in a while than to have a less secure device or to have to pay more for my device because of a patent lawsuit
    Apple apps are sandboxed as well.

I understand your post, but I am not sure how adding sound profiles would be a security risk or a patent issue. Even the master switch isn't an Apple exclusive.
    01-30-2013 07:41 AM
    Jesus you guys are so lazy you can't use volume rocker for about 1.5 second to turn volume down or up. What I want is profile settings, that if anything makes more sense. Example, click volume rocker and choose between 1-5 setting for different profiles. Profile for work, vibration, cellular off WiFi on, brightness low. Profile for home, mid volume + vibration, brightness low cellular off WiFi on. Outdoor/city profile, high volume, no vibration, brightness high, cellular off. That actually saves time, really adjusting volume is not hard, but it waste time when I have to completely reconfigure my phone very time I leave home.
    01-30-2013 08:06 AM
    What I find annoying and a hassle twice every day is that I want to kill notifications at night (emails and texts) but I want to hear phone calls. What I have to do now is disable the tones for email and texting individually when I go to sleep then try to remember to re-enable them each morning.

On android we had an app zdbox that would mute "notifications" between the hours of X and X on X days of the week. I have been looking for apps that will handle notification schedules since we started using WP8 but haven't found anything. I am not even sure if microsoft exposes those controls to 3rd party apps.
    01-30-2013 09:47 AM
    Seeing this thread bumped reminded me that it seems like WP8 is already keeping track of different volume settings (at least for bluetooth devices). When I'm connected to my car, it keeps the volume high (25 so I can actually hear music over A2DP), but then when I turn the car off, volume returns to normal.
    01-30-2013 11:04 AM
    I use a Lumia 920 and I think having one volume setting is very stupid and here is why. I want my ringtones to be on level 20 (just an example) but everytime I listen to music with my headphone I find that the music is too loud and then I have to reduce my volume back to 5. The OS is not intelligent enough to revert back to my previous volume setting of 20 when I remove my headphone (I find it is much easier to just pull out my headphones when I'm done as this stops the music). So after I pull out my headphones I sometimes miss calls because I cannot here my phone (with the setting on 5 since I reduced it when I was listening to music). Now everytime Ilisten to music I have to reduce the volume and then increase it when done. I have always used Nokia phones and this was never a problem until now. Now I find myself returning calls because I missed calls.

I would like at least two different volume settings. 1. for my notifications (when I choose my ringtone I also want to choose a volume level....think Nokia 5110 if lost). The second one for my media. Obviously when I choose silent mode everything should be silenced to nothing with the exception of the music because if I actively go play my music then I want to hear it.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    05-08-2013 02:03 AM
    So after I pull out my headphones I sometimes miss calls because I cannot here my phone (with the setting on 5 since I reduced it when I was listening to music). Now everytime Ilisten to music I have to reduce the volume and then increase it when done. I have always used Nokia phones and this was never a problem until now. Now I find myself returning calls because I missed calls.
    Of the three people (including myself) that use WP we have all had exactly the same problem. For me it's that I have to turn the volume down whilst gaming but forget to turn it back up afterwards.

It is probably the only thing I really dislike about WP7 & 8
    05-08-2013 02:34 AM
    I don't get the Android and iOS people who want 5 different "volume" settings on one device. It's confusing and makes no sense.

It also means that, when apps adjust volume, it's inconsistent. Some apps will mute important volumes (like the alarm, which may make you sleep in).

Other times, you think audio is off when it's not. On the iPhone, for instance, you can actually put it in mute mode by flipping the mute switch (which Apple totally stole from Palm and the Treo, BTW -- where's the lawsuit?!?), and still have sound happen. This happened to me in an important meeting when I had an iPhone in "mute" mode that started BLASTING one of those annoying web video ads when I was looking up information pertinent to a topic being discussed. On Android and iOS devices, mute doesn't actually mean mute -- it means "sometimes mute."

With Windows Phone, audio is simple, easy and straightforward. Mute is ALWAYS mute, not "hopefully" mute. Volume level medium means medium volume, across the experience. It is how things should be. Multiple volumes is a complicated, confusing "feature" that adds nothing to the experience and significantly detracts from overall usability.
    There is media sounds, notifications sounds and alarm sounds for iOS MUCH MUCH better then WP8's implementation. Quite clearly you do not understand iOS and Android.
    05-08-2013 02:57 AM
    LOL It's not confusing on iOS.
    What is so confusing... one is for Notifications... one is for everything else.

DONE!
    No, one is for media one for notifications and one for Alarms but still, how is it confusing?
    05-08-2013 02:59 AM
    Simplicity is defined by doing less and getting more in my books. Having to adjust my volume everytime falls out the scope of simplicity. I also do not think the people that work at Microsoft use Windows Phone because they would have noticed within a week that this is an irritation. No one can honestly tell me that he/she is okay with having to adjust the volume in their device more than 5 times in one day depending on what you are doing. I think Windows phone should have taken a Nokia (example once again) and used all the features that people never had a problem with (i.e being able to choose different profiles from the start screen, or choosing your own ringer volume and a different media volume). I doubt Nokia would have sued Microsoft for this, instead Nokia would have loved this because people who bought a Nokia would still be getting the good nokia features and losing the bad ones. That is how I would do it if I worked for Microsoft....
    Dazzi likes this.
    05-08-2013 04:25 AM
    I find this really convenient as a student. I can easily mute my phone whenever I go into a lecture or an exam without having to go to settings and mute everything just to be on safe side, or turn off the phone.

Although looking over on the PC side with Xbox Music, it has its own volume slider. Although this is partly useless, as adjusting the volume from media keys will default on the system volume. This is where I don't see the point, you listen to music, say at volume 30, and the system volume set at 70. The notification sounds will obviously be louder, that is if you want to hear them really loud than the music, but I doubt no one does that so what if the music volume were to be at 70 and the system at 30? The music volume will obviously be dominated by the system volume, so even if the music slider is at 100, whilst the system volume is 40, the music volume will still fall at 40 together with the notification sounds.

So if Windows Phone had different volume sliders for each, and you put the music volume to mute but left the system slider unmute and you play a song and couldn't hear anything, wouldn't that be confusing? Because you'd generally see that the phone is obviously not on mute but the music player is? So what's the point? If you want it on mute, then might as well mute the whole phone.
    Dazzi likes this.
    05-08-2013 05:05 AM
    My problem is that when I'm listening to music or Audible with headphones, I need to turn down the volume. Then later, my phone rings or I receive a text and I can't hear it because the volume is at 5/30 and I'm more than 10 ft away.

The answer in my opinion is to provide separate volume controls for different things, but to satisfy those who claim it's too difficult to understand (not sure how) make it so each one by default is locked to the master -- which is pretty much as it is now.

Media, Notification, Ringer and Master would be great.
    This is the solution. I hope that they finally they solve this issue in WP 8.1, blue, whatever!
    05-08-2013 07:05 AM
    i'm guessing from the myriad of responses, it needs a tickbox for "let me choose seperate volumes".

patents, security, too-difficult-to-implement, and "but we hate how android/ios does it !" are excuses for lacking functionality.
    tgp likes this.
    05-08-2013 07:08 AM
    I also have to disagree with the OP. One single sound control is a pain. Like some others here, my ringtone volume is set on 30. I forget about it, put my headphone on to listen to some music and BAM, music is killing my eardrums. Not nice. And then, of course, I miss calls because I lowered the volume down to 5/6. Different sets of volume controls are not difficult or confusing, they are practical and needed asap. This has nothing to do with turning WP into an iPhone or an Android clone. It's just good sense.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    05-08-2013 07:42 AM
    Well, Windows Mobile 6.1 and Windows Phone 6.5 had separate volume controls for the phone and everything else, I'll post a picture so you guys can see what I mean when I find one, so there's no reason why MS can't implement something similar in Windows Phone but I'm not all that bothered personally.
    05-08-2013 09:33 AM
    I also have to disagree with the OP. One single sound control is a pain. Like some others here, my ringtone volume is set on 30. I forget about it, put my headphone on to listen to some music and BAM, music is killing my eardrums. Not nice. And then, of course, I miss calls because I lowered the volume down to 5/6. Different sets of volume controls are not difficult or confusing, they are practical and needed asap. This has nothing to do with turning WP into an iPhone or an Android clone. It's just good sense.
    When the volume is set to 30, its not load enough. Its not like a black berry with the bass /volume boost.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    xpxp2002 likes this.
    05-08-2013 09:43 AM
    Boggles my mind how some in this community hates the idea of options. Its borderline irrational, IMO
    xpxp2002 likes this.
    05-08-2013 09:50 AM
    When the volume is set to 30, its not load enough. Its not like a black berry with the bass /volume boost.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    I really think that depends on the phone lol. I'm usually the guy that keeps his volume all the way up, but that has certainly changed with the 8x! Thing has the ability to blow your brains out!
    05-08-2013 10:01 AM
    Wow, this will be something I guess I will miss too when I switch to WP8. I love the multiple volume settings. They fit various situations throughout the day. I never really thought about it not being on another OS but it is definitely something you will miss if you have to do without. Now I'm concerned on what other little features I will be without moving from JB to WP8(8.1)?
    05-08-2013 05:12 PM
    Seeing this thread bumped reminded me that it seems like WP8 is already keeping track of different volume settings (at least for bluetooth devices). When I'm connected to my car, it keeps the volume high (25 so I can actually hear music over A2DP), but then when I turn the car off, volume returns to normal.
    I was beginning to think I had a special, magic phone, but then you ruined my dream... You took my one chance of happiness and crushed it. Crushed it into little tiny, bite-size pieces.

Anyway, the people still on about it: it's true. When my Bluetooth headset is connected, the phone volume remembers that I set it to 30 before and, when I disconnect the headset, the phone volume goes back to what it was before, which I had set to 16.
    05-11-2013 08:57 AM
    Mine even has a separate level when headphones are plugged in.
    05-11-2013 09:15 AM
    Hate this "feature". If I have the volume turned down while listening to headphones or Bluetooth, the ringer is also affected. That means that if I forget to turn the volume of the ringer back up when I have finished listening to the headphones the ringer volume will be reduced and I can miss calls if I do not hear it. Also, it would be nice that if I plug in my headphones that they return to the previous volume level so that I don't get my ears blasted at the ringer volume level. If you want to view the Ringer as the phones speaker so that the level affects the ringer or media that would be ok so that mute really is mute for all sounds.

I only see positives having a separate volume profile for Ringer (speaker), Headphones, and Bluetooth. Further why does the EQ only work with headphones?

My Moto had a great feature that when turning down the ringer volume it went to vibrate-only just before going completely silent; fast and great way to move from audible ring tone to vibrate only rather than having to dive through menus to make this happen.
    12-24-2013 04:34 PM
    I keep my speaker around 8/30. This is unusably quiet for phone calls.

The ability to manage profile for sounds would be nice. They should take notes from Blackberry, here.
    12-24-2013 11:30 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD