My initial choices for getting a WP8 device were Nokia devices, however it looks like the 920 might not work with my carrier. In that case I'm looking at the 8X and Ativ as potential phones for me.

I just wanted to ask how HTC and Samsung have been with getting firmware updates out for their newer WP7 devices (WP7 devices like Titan, Focus S, etc)?

I had an HD7 in the past and I knew HTC was slow with updates, and then eventually left the phone high and dry. Also, I have heard stories from Focus owners that they barely got updates as well. So I just wanted to know if HTC and Samsung have changed their ways in recent times.

Also, does anyone think MS will release updates in the future without going through carriers?
    11-14-2012 12:02 PM
    As a former Focus owner, I can tell you that some of the problem was the two hardware revisions. Another problem was carrier interference, especially AT&T. Microsoft's strategy for WP8 is deliver updates directly to the devices, much like Apple does, either OTA or via a connected PC.

On a side note, the best devices for updates have to be Blackberries, since you could pretty much install any OS for your device from any carrier, as long as the radio technologies were the same (e.g. CDMA or GSM). ****, you could also mix and match if you really wanted to.
    11-14-2012 12:54 PM
    I didn't realize HTC did updates. I just thought they released new devices.
    SSK the Gr8 likes this.
    11-14-2012 01:32 PM
    I didn't realize HTC did updates. I just thought they released new devices.
    I believe the previous model was that Microsoft would give the update to the OEM, then the OEM would give it to the carrier and the carrier would (eventually) push it out to the devices.
    11-14-2012 01:48 PM
    Pretty sure if you get an unlocked sim free handset that MS is pushing the updates.
    11-15-2012 10:03 AM
    Pretty sure if you get an unlocked sim free handset that MS is pushing the updates.
    Not quite. You have to have an unbranded device. As in its internal branding (T-Mo, AT&T, etc) has been removed from its memory. That way the phone doesn't know which carrier to poll for updates, so it polls MS. As far as I know this was only possible with a few Samsung phones. Otherwise you're stuck waiting on the manufacturer and carrier to release updates, even if your phone is unlocked.
    11-15-2012 10:06 AM
    I bought my 8x from Clove so no branding or link to any carrier other than the sim I've put in it :) but are you saying I will still have to wait for htc?
    11-16-2012 02:57 AM
    Curious. Having had the HD7 since launch, i think i've had every single update that came out. Some havn't been quick, but from everything i've read, thats been due to my telco, rather than HTC themselves.

Personally i'd have no worries about buying another HTC phone.
    11-16-2012 03:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD