What would you do in this situation re:8x/920

scottt732

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been annoyed with Verizon as a company for a while now, but not as a service provider. I think their network is awesome, but it's been > 7 years since I was an AT&T customer.

So here's the deal. I wanted the Lumia 920 since I first laid eyes on it. I like Nokia, I like the apps, and a co-worker has a 920. I like their apps. I would appreciate a decent camera and I really don't need Beats Audio, so the 920 seems like the right choice for me. When Nokia went exclusive to AT&T, I was disappointed and started reading up in the 8x.

My current phone is an HTC Thunderbolt, which is about as bad of a phone as I've ever owned. The battery life is/has been abysmal, and the thought of HTC putting an underpowered battery that can't be replaced in a top of the line phone makes me very worried about the 8X. Now I'm reading about random reboots which hopefully can be resolved via software updates, but given HTC's track record, I wouldn't expect anything if it turns out to be a hardware issue. Plus, who knows how long Verizon will kick the can on the 8X release. This same BS happened when the Thunderbolt was coming out. It was a total failure of a launch.

My new every 2 is up on Verizon on Saturday, but the contract still has time on it. If I cancel my contract, I owe Verizon $160 for early termination. On the flipside, the Lumia 920 is $49 at Walmart (ugh). $49 + $160 = $209 is only $10 more than Verizon is charging for the 8x.

So the question really comes down to the quality of the network. I'm in the NYC metro area and rarely travel, so I assume AT&T has it together around here. Is Verizon's LTE superior enough to AT&T's 4G/3.5G to stick it out with them? Any pros/cons I'm missing in terms of the networks.

jsk0703

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow, this is really weird. You're story is almost identical to my own. I too am torn between the 8x and 920. I also currently have the HTC Thunderbolt and Saturday is also my eligible upgrade date. LOL

I'll have 4 months remaining on my Verizon account which I'm willing to pay the early termination fee to switch over to AT&T. Just can't decide what to do.

scottt732

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow, this is really weird. You're story is almost identical to my own. I too am torn between the 8x and 920. I also currently have the HTC Thunderbolt and Saturday is also my eligible upgrade date. LOL

I'll have 4 months remaining on my Verizon account which I'm willing to pay the early termination fee to switch over to AT&T. Just can't decide what to do.
That is really really weird. The AT&T coverage map shows that I'm on the edge of LTE 4G and HSPA+ 4G (3.5G), but I gather AT&T is playing catch-up. I was in the same situation with the TB when I got it.

So I you don't mind, which way are you leaning & why? I've got to tell you, I can echo the sentiments of everyone here when I say VZW doesn't seem to care about WP8. Everyone I spoke to didn't have any idea about the devices/availability. When I called the local AT&T store, WP8 was mentioned before I even got to the menu.

Hrmph. I'm going to go run to the mall :)

jsk0703

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
That is really really weird. The AT&T coverage map shows that I'm on the edge of LTE 4G and HSPA+ 4G (3.5G), but I gather AT&T is playing catch-up. I was in the same situation with the TB when I got it.

So I you don't mind, which way are you leaning & why? I've got to tell you, I can echo the sentiments of everyone here when I say VZW doesn't seem to care about WP8. Everyone I spoke to didn't have any idea about the devices/availability. When I called the local AT&T store, WP8 was mentioned before I even got to the menu.

Hrmph. I'm going to go run to the mall :)

Well, I'm currently leaning towards the 920 for a few reasons. Cost, aesthetics, ram and camera. I actually went to my local store and played with the 920 for a bit. It took every bit of self control not to pull the trigger. But I decided to wait until I can officially get my hands on the 8x to make the determination. I am into music so there is an increased interest in Beats audio.

I live smack in the middle of LTE for both carriers so that isn't a big concern for me right now.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been annoyed with Verizon as a company for a while now, but not as a service provider. I think their network is awesome, but it's been > 7 years since I was an AT&T customer.

So here's the deal. I wanted the Lumia 920 since I first laid eyes on it.
So the question really comes down to the quality of the network. I'm in the NYC metro area and rarely travel, so I assume AT&T has it together around here. Is Verizon's LTE superior enough to AT&T's 4G/3.5G to stick it out with them? Any pros/cons I'm missing in terms of the networks.

Go for it. I believe AT&T has LTE in NYC anyway, if they don't they soon will. The difference between their networks is the most overhyped load of crap I've seen. I've had both, and unless you are a road warrior 365 days of the year or live in the middle of nowhere you are never going to notice the difference between the two.

The 920 poops all over anything HTC has ever made.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb