Anyone want folders?

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone 4, I'm a little conflicted over this. I bought my Lumia 920 because I wanted something different from Apple and I definitely got it. I love the phone but I've found a potential problem.

With my iPhone, I would have tons of apps organized into folders such as Networking Tools or Utilities etc. I didn't remember the exact name of each app but with the limited number of apps in each folder, I could quickly find the one I want.

With my Windows Phone, I only create tiles for my favorite apps. For apps less frequently used, I have to remember the name of the app in order to find it in the list. Today, I wanted to do a bandwidth test and I new I had an app installed for it but I had a brain fart and couldn't remember the name (It was under "Q" for Quick Bandwidth Test).

So, would folders solve this problem? I'm wondering if Microsoft is considering some type of structure to organize apps. As more and more apps become available, it's easy to have 100+ installed. What are your thoughts?

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Out of the few iOS features I wouldn't mind having, folders isn't one of them. But I don't have a million apps like some do. Folders don't benefit me because I use my phone as a mobile music, video, internet device and it does all those better than the rest. Apps and games are just a nice bonus so I don't have enough to organize them.

muddtt

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
in wp7 the homebrew community came up with a folders system that actually worked quite nicely. Hopefully one of them can get it on wp8 soon. I know that doesn't help you much atm or if your even into the rooting thing, but options will eventually be out there.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
in wp7 the homebrew community came up with a folders system that actually worked quite nicely. Hopefully one of them can get it on wp8 soon. I know that doesn't help you much atm or if your even into the rooting thing, but options will eventually be out there.

Assuming that you did use that app, which i did, what wp8 has now is essentially what the folders app was and actually better.

The homebrew app that created folders held only four apps in it, you had to open the folder to get to the app to open.

Fast forward to today with wp8, the small squares would fit four within one medium sized box which is essentially a version of the homebrew app. The difference being you dont have to open a folder to open an app and also the small apps like emails ca reflect live data like a number notification for received emails.

I dont see a folders feature that would fit more than four apps, they want the tiles on your screen and running live data, the folders kills that feature.

You can fit so much on that screen as it is already.

muddtt

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Assuming that you did use that app, which i did, what wp8 has now is essentially what the folders app was and actually better.

The homebrew app that created folders held only four apps in it, you had to open the folder to get to the app to open.

Fast forward to today with wp8, the small squares would fit four within one medium sized box which is essentially a version of the homebrew app. The difference being you dont have to open a folder to open an app and also the small apps like emails ca reflect live data like a number notification for received emails.

I dont see a folders feature that would fit more than four apps, they want the tiles on your screen and running live data, the folders kills that feature.

You can fit so much on that screen as it is already.
The folder app I used held many more than 4 items. Think i had 6-7 apps in there and it was resizable in the 7.8 ROM that was floating around. Worked really well.

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
It's funny to me, the resizable tiles, it alleviates all the need for me to have folders. I look at it like this now.
Most people have about 10 apps they use (including the builtin OS apps) on Smartphones.
Before an application had to be great to get on my home screen. The tiles were fairly large and I hated scrolling down the screen to find every app. Then you swipe to the right from the home screen and see just a huge list of apps. most of the time I'd install apps and forget about them cause I just don't really use that screen all that often.

Now however I can fit so many tiles on the screen that I don't really need folders. Everything is right in front of me with very little scrolling. Making re sizable tiles was an incredible solution to the folder problem... at least it was to me.

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I believe it is coming as well. Either in the app list or custom "categories" on the home screen under which you can group whatever apps you may like. The next year will be interesting now that the foundation has been laid in wp8 to see what MS can come up with for improved end user experience. I think notification center (basically confirmed by belfiore) and folders will be two items high on MS list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos