Play .Flac & .MKV files

Nick Sykora

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I recently switched over from Android to the Nokia Lumia 920 and am very disappointed in the media player app selection (or lac there of) I've found.

Converting the files is a ridiculous solution as these files should just "work".

Any suggestions out there?

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but these formats are not natively supported on any mainstream OS (including desktop) so I do not see them being on mobile OSes soon unless it is through an app. I do not know if there are licensing issues or what. Perhaps this is an opportunity to develop an app which I would be more than happy to look into. I just have a feeling that there are legal reasons or some other limitation that is preventing this.

Also these are very special formats that very few people use. Though I would love both formats natively supported on Windows RT.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
While I understand your frustration, let me just say that mp4 is a much better format than mkv. It's supported by almost every mobile OS and it has higher quality per Kb.

As far as alternatives (to anything really), I highly doubt MS will allow those apps to be published on the store.

Undersky

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
While I understand your frustration, let me just say that mp4 is a much better format than mkv. It's supported by almost every mobile OS and it has higher quality per Kb.
Mp4, just like mkv, is just a container. It can contain the exact same stream of video and audio (say, a h.264 / AC3 combo, which is very common). Ergo, there isn't any difference between their quality, as it's the codec that decides it. This is also why you can remux an mkv to a mp4 rather quickly, without re-encoding it (and with that lose even more quality).

The plus side of mkv is that it's an open format. The negative, of course, is that it's hardly never (if ever?) native supported by OS's.

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I can't agree that MP4 is better unless you know of a way for it to support AC3 or some equivalent multi-channel audio and have a method for me to convert a video to such a format. I have never seen a way to successfully convert a HD video with multichannel (5 channels or more) audio.

Undersky

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't agree that MP4 is better unless you know of a way for it to support AC3 or some equivalent multi-channel audio and have a method for me to convert a video to such a format. I have never seen a way to successfully convert a HD video with multichannel (5 channels or more) audio.
No problem, mp4 has support for 5.1.

You're probably talking about some remuxing software (making a mkv playable on a PS3 or Xbox by turning it into a mp4). Those softwares I've seen converts the audio into stereo. Probably due to licensing issues. AC3 belongs to Dolby and requires licensing. h.264 is also a licensed technology, but often, in the pirate scene, an open source library called x.264 is used.

But mp4 as a container has support for 5.1, both as AC3 and AAC.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The formats provided on WP8 devices are actually all in the hardware, so the chipset will do all the work to decode them in hardware, thus saving battery usage.

I'm sure at some stage apps will come along with .MKV/.FLAC/.whatever support, but they'll be using the CPU to decode them, so there will be performance and battery issues, because of those formats.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i find mkv more used nowadays than mp4. the lumia 920 will not play ac3, it just throws out an error. mp4 does support ac3 but there is no app at the moment on the store that will play that combination. most mp4's are h264 with aac muxed. mkv is much more common to have h264 with ac3 muxed. windows store just needs an app that has the codecs in it natively that will just use the phone hardware to decode. the first app that comes along and is able to do that on windows phone and do it without many bugs will make alot of money.

pkvillager

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I rip my own movies to MKV for playback on my HTPC. There would be no reason for me to want those files to be playable on any phone they are 20+GB. If I wanted those movies on my phone I would just handbrake them to a smaller file size and a supported format and only keep the stereo track.

Now if this was the Windows 8 forum **** yes I would like MKV support on the new UI video player. Currently Im stuck with shark007 codecs and WMP.
As for flac, that would be nice I have a bunch but small percentage of my library.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I bet some entity will sue Microsoft if they allow MKVs.

isnt mkv open source? isnt h264 (x264) open source? isnt ac3 open source? who would sue them?

you dont really need MS to have it native in their OS, just need the apps to have the codecs. (its the same with windows operating system)

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Many pirated movies, for sure. My feeling is that Microsoft won't natively support .MKV because it carries a stigma of supporting pirated videos. What else could it be?

Oh please, that is just so not true and a very narrow view as with any format, things are open to abuse
I used a program called makemkv(beta) to rip my entire DVD collection to my home server for all the obvious benefits that brings

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Oh please, that is just so not true and a very narrow view as with any format, things are open to abuse
I used a program called makemkv(beta) to rip my entire DVD collection to my home server for all the obvious benefits that brings

If you're in the United States, what you just described, ripping DVDs, it also against the law because those ripping apps circumvent the encryption technology on the disks. You can thank the Digital Millennium Copyright Act for that.

BokiV

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the main features i miss on my 8x... I hope with good news that wp8 is getting momentum, we will get those apps. You need to remember that VLC had great problems getting on the ios too!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)