Where is Nokia Play to for WP8?

cajunlte

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How can the Lumia 920 not have the ability to support DLNA capabilities? I am talking about the ability to serve pictures, videos and music through a DLNA type setup on the phone.

thirdsun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
This shouldn't even be a Nokia issue - a significant feature like DLNA streaming shouldn't require a certain device or app. Microsoft should have integrated this into the OS, it's the perfect opportunity to counter Apple's Airplay. The standard is already there, well established and supported, even by the devices that existed way before Windows Phone.

But no, Microsoft left another item on their list of obvious features unchecked. On the other hand, why would we expect anything else from the company that decided to limit podcast functionality to one country, refuses to support any standard lossless file format (WMA lossless is anything but standard), is unable to provide simple meta data enhancements (like artist pictures) without breaking the whole music library* or even offer flawless syncing capabilities?

I know this sounds very frustrated and I understand that not everyone is as focused on media and music features as me, but using the phone as music and podcast player has been an utter disaster at this point. And it's not like the these issues are asking for magical solutions - these are simple things and no-brainers that don't require much effort or time. It's just sloppy.

*Footnote: Has anyone seen Track 8 on iOS? It's an alternative to the default iOS music app and copies the metro design from WP8's music app. Except it works flawless, has no problems finding pictures and info tied to your library's artists and does so without touching and breaking your meta data. This also applies to Artist Info, a similar app for Windows Phone. These small developer shops are able to pull off what Microsoft apparently isn't able to provide with their huge amount of ressources.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
This shouldn't even be a Nokia issue - a significant feature like DLNA streaming shouldn't require a certain device or app. Microsoft should have integrated this into the OS, it's the perfect opportunity to counter Apple's Airplay. The standard is already there, well established and supported, even by the devices that existed way before Windows Phone.

But no, Microsoft left another item on their list of obvious features unchecked. On the other hand, why would we expect anything else from the company that decided to limit podcast functionality to one country, refuses to support any standard lossless file format (WMA lossless is anything but standard), is unable to provide simple meta data enhancements (like artist pictures) without breaking the whole music library* or even offer flawless syncing capabilities?

I know this sounds very frustrated and I understand that not everyone is as focused on media and music features as me, but using the phone as music and podcast player has been an utter disaster at this point. And it's not like the these issues are asking for magical solutions - these are simple things and no-brainers that don't require much effort or time. It's just sloppy.

*Footnote: Has anyone seen Track 8 on iOS? It's an alternative to the default iOS music app and copies the metro design from WP8's music app. Except it works flawless, has no problems finding pictures and info tied to your library's artists and does so without touching and breaking your meta data. This also applies to Artist Info, a similar app for Windows Phone. These small developer shops are able to pull off what Microsoft apparently isn't able to provide with their huge amount of ressources.

I share the frustrations. But on the bright side, windows 8 has thus functionality implemented in charms - the bummer is video app doesn't support it and my music app refuses to cooperate. But other apps work just fine.

The Sand

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I forgot all about DLNA ? it was on my LG Quantum (It was LG that provided it) and I never used it because it's not something I do? but it should absolutely be on the Nokia 920. You are right, the standard is there, why not include it?

Coming from iTunes, I got my music (all of it, as I unlocked everything) onto the 920 and it does show the artwork and play but there are many, many others frustrated as you are with the music media part of WP8. Most are Zune subscribers? which I find tragic because they have supported Microsoft with their music purchases and now they can?t play those songs on WP8.

The syncing you mentioned is a train wreck. I can?t even install the Windows Phone Program (I have Windows 7 Ultimate) because it thinks I don?t have Net Framework 4 (I do and it?s patched and ready.) So I haven?t even seen the program, which from reading about is no loss.

I use GoodSync to sync everything onto my other smartphones (Blackberry and Nokia N900.) WP8 shows up as a ?Portable Device? on my computer not as an external hard drive so GoodSync doesn?t see it. I wrote and asked GoodSync about this and they said they are going have capability to sync to WP8 like they do for Android. They did not tell me when though? Until then I used Windows Media Player for the music and copy/pasted my pictures and videos.

Some of these issues should get ironed out, but I don?t see it happening fast. We all know every launch has its ?problems? but to be frank ? the music issue stunned me, more so than the sync. I don?t think it should have happened.

It hasn?t dampened my love for this hardware/software combo - it truly has become my favorite device of all the smartphones I have tried and owned. I hope they resolve some of this ?stupidity? as quickly as a company that large can move (yeah, probably not very quickly)?

Wallis24

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree completely. This is a must have especially on a nokia flagship, where media has always been a strongpoint. I cant beleive how unfinished this software and hardware combo is. And no usb flashdrive support! WTF? Is this windows or Apple?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99