XBOX Music Problem List

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
This is not to be a gripe post about XBOX Music but to rather list the serious issues it has both with and without Windows Phone 8. Perhaps we can get someone at Microsoft to notice and get this fixed. In my experience, here are the problems I've encountered:

Syncing To Windows Phone - A lot has been said about syncing. Most of us were focused on the "Modern" Windows Phone App and how it would simply transfer music and not sync it. We also tried Windows Media Player which did a good job except it would not sync XBOX Music Pass songs. The Desktop Windows Phone app does a better job but it is still quirky. We need something built into XBOX Music itself for music syncing.

Album Art - When I use the desktop app to sync music, album art is hit and miss, and more miss. The artist picture is in the background but over 60% of my album art is missing. I believe all music I've downloaded from XBOX Music pass have had no problems with Album Art.

Sluggish Performance - When I switch between songs by swiping over the album art, it will pause while moving and then settle down and play the song after 2-5 seconds. Also, when I go to play all my music or a playlist, there is a good pause before music starts at at least 10-20 seconds before the song info appears.

Streaming Playlists - I was a long time Spotify user and I decided to embrace XBOX Music and give it a chance (especially since I had to buy seperate XBOX Music passes between my wife's and my phone.) I loved having my streaming playlists available between PC's and devices (when I was on Android). I'd love to see the same thing with XBOX Music and it acts like I can do it. However, if I create a playlist either from my PC, Surface or XBOX, it never appears on either device. Just the one it was created on. This needs to be fixed because streaming is ideal for XBOX and low storage devices like the Surface.

XBOX Music Cloud - Wow! This is a mess! What is all of this info? I see playlists with various amounts of music in them, some maxed out at 1,000 with saying no more can be added, a mess of playlists and autoplaylists. Right now, with the exception of the XBOX, I have this turned off. Mainly because I can't sync streaming lists and all of this data is messy and all over the map. Is there a way I can get into this "cloud" an clean this up and start fresh? I'd like to see them perhaps get this setup like Spotify and Google Music. Would be a good combo. Most of all, I want streaming playlists to sync between ALL my devices.

Music Management On The Windows Phone - I'd like to see the ability to make playlists from albums and not just single songs (one song at a time)...and deleting music is also just one song at a tile, though you can check off what you wanted deleted and then delete them all. Both of these functions could be easier. Would also like to be able to check multiple playlists and then play them. The XBOX Music app on the PC or Surface will do so and that is nice.

Zune Like Experience - I would like to see them return to the Zune Like Experience when you listen to a song. RIght now, it is a static picture of album art (when it apepars) and a single background picture of the artist. Would be nice to see the big letters sliding across the screen with info and time left and changing background. This isn't a problem as it is a request.

Misc. - I am a long time Zune user and since my wife had to get her own XBOX Music Pass for her phone, that still allows me to use my Zune and ZunePass music, so I don't see it going away. It has 64GB and transferring one playlist to my Lumua 920 brought it down to 5.8 gigs left. So I imagine I'll use the ZuneHD for long trips or long periods of music. I am still on unlimited data on my phone so if I need to stream or even download an album on the fly with my XBOX Music pass, I can. Mostly, I'll be in wi-fi. Kind of excited about the JBL Power Up for the Lumua 920. A

So, I wanted to start a master thread to let people report the problems with the Music experience and perhaps see if Microsoft can fix these issues. I am standing behind the new ecosystem and this is where I see the most work needs to be done. As it stands, music is half-baked.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes. YES. So I'm NOT the only person who has massive freezing/hanging issues with Xbox Music! Glad to hear. (Well, sad to hear, but you know what I mean!)

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
On top of that, I got a notice that the Music app for Windows 8 had an update...I installed the update, came back to my PC and the app is totally missing now though the store says I own it.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I think they should just add more features on top of Zune and use that!

As for streaming playlists, I got them working from Windows 8 at least. I created a playlist in Zune, added 6 songs, then went into Xbox Music --> Playlists --> Right Click --> Import playlists. It automatically added my playlists from zune, but only 4 out of the 6 songs would match to the cloud. Created a playlist directly from xbox music. Added 9 songs... of those 9 songs, 8 of them were matched to the cloud. I exited the Xbox Music app on my Lumia 810, went back in and checked the new playlists (they were there), and was able to stream all the matched songs directly out of the test playlists I created.

Matching is very finicky though. If songs won't automatically match, you have to right click and hope for the circle with the three little dots in it. If you see that, you can click that, click match, and it always quickly finds an album or song match and throws it up in the cloud.

The playlist import is very half-baked, too, because - after already imported once from zune - if you add another song to a playlist in zune and then hit import, it will just create another copy of the same playlist but with the extra song in it. Then you have to delete the old one. wtf?!

I agree that the entire music experience is wonky and I really hope that Microsoft gets this all fleshed out, soon. How about they scrap their new desktop sync app, give zune WP8 functionality (and the ability to match songs, while they're at it), and fix the Win8 Xbox Music app entirely.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Streaming Playlists - I was a long time Spotify user and I decided to embrace XBOX Music and give it a chance (especially since I had to buy seperate XBOX Music passes between my wife's and my phone.) I loved having my streaming playlists available between PC's and devices (when I was on Android). I'd love to see the same thing with XBOX Music and it acts like I can do it. However, if I create a playlist either from my PC, Surface or XBOX, it never appears on either device. Just the one it was created on. This needs to be fixed because streaming is ideal for XBOX and low storage devices like the Surface.

XBOX Music Cloud - Wow! This is a mess! What is all of this info? I see playlists with various amounts of music in them, some maxed out at 1,000 with saying no more can be added, a mess of playlists and autoplaylists. Right now, with the exception of the XBOX, I have this turned off. Mainly because I can't sync streaming lists and all of this data is messy and all over the map. Is there a way I can get into this "cloud" an clean this up and start fresh? I'd like to see them perhaps get this setup like Spotify and Google Music. Would be a good combo. Most of all, I want streaming playlists to sync between ALL my devices.

That would explain your Streaming Playlist issues. I have created Playlists on my Windows 8 Desktop and Surface RT, they show up in all places. You must have Xbox Cloud Collection enabled for it to work. Or did it not work when it was enabled and you turned it off as a result?

I have had the occasional sync error in my Windows 8 box, but it seems to work eventually.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
On top of that, I got a notice that the Music app for Windows 8 had an update...I installed the update, came back to my PC and the app is totally missing now though the store says I own it.

Sounds like it has been unpinned from Start. Have you checked your All Apps list? You can either start typing Music from the Start Screen, or right-click/win key+ z/swipe up from bottom while on the Start Screen then click/tap the All Apps button at the bottom right. You should be able to find it in the list after that.

There's another way to delete the app if it is indeed installed and not showing in the apps list. Let me know and I can run your through that. Then you can see if you can reinstall from the Store.

To the OP. My Playlists sync'd fine. They were just there as soon as I turned on the sync'ing option. I'll check out the other stuff in a sec and report.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
According to Paul at Windows Supersite, our syncing woes appear to be "as designed" by Microsoft...

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-8-tip-understand-your-pc-sync-options

If what he says is true, then why is there virtually no way to make and maintain playlists ON the phone? You can make a playlist of one album but that's it, correct?
I took it a different way.

"It’s pretty basic, compared to Zune, but even compared to the desktop application (noted below), it’s lacking some key features like support for music playlists. This is by design: Windows Phone 8 is designed to be used largely PC-free."

The way I read that is that the phone is designed to not need a PC and playlists shouldn't have to be made only on a PC - since playlist functionality is non-existent in the Windows 8 app... whoever was in charge of the music experience on WP8 really blew it.

Chromeo_El_Lobo

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I just want to listen to my Zune Pass music on my Lumia 920 without getting a "We cannot confirm the media usage rights for this content" every single time.

OptimusDims

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I was chatting to a Win support person the other day asking about the the syncing issues. They said that their supervisor advised them at the beginning of their shift that there is known issues with the syncing on Zune pass content to WP8 devices. I told them it was unacceptable and that i was staying with MS because all my music was in one place. They could only suggest i download everything again. Really annoyed, this has tarnished the WP8 experience. Weird thing is I'm sure in the first few days I was able to play some bits depsite initially getting the usage rights error messgae on the first attempt at playing.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I finally got a playlist to show up between my Phone, XBOX and Surface...yet two of my PC's do not see them. And a side note, the PHONE needs to be able to create playlists...not the junky way you can simply add an album to a playlist and name it.

I am making Streaming Lists for my XBOX, Surface and my Phone, so I am OK there. But I am going to continue to use my 64GB Zune so I can have all of my music, stream free.

dudedud

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
To fix my DRM issues i have decided to do the most simple thing, remove the DRM with a program.
I tried to get around it by downloading the music manually from xbox music but it says "Song already in collection, click to buy" but it isn't "In my collection"
I also tried to allow xbox music to re-download my Zune collection but it just downloads ALL my music all over again. three quarters of my collection is non DRM protected music and xBox music just wants to re-download all of it with DRM.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I recently ran into a huge problem with the "cloud collection" in xbox music for wp8. Here is the issue I had:

-went to download an album from the Store using my paid Xbox Music Pass subscription
-saw that it was already "in my collection" (matched from windows 8 or recognised as a previous download on my wp7 device, not sure which) and therefore I could choose between buying it outright or streaming it. Neither acceptable really
-went into Xbox music and turned on "show my cloud collection"
-lo and behold, the artist/album was NOT THERE to download

I had to actually stream the album, go to the Now Playing screen, hit the three dots, tap Download, then skip to the next track and do the same thing. By the time I got to the last song Xbox Music crashed and the Store wouldn't open either. I had to reboot the phone and try again --TWICE-- before it worked. That's a pretty huge problem. Getting massively frustrated with this whole thing.

😠

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077