Can't play .wmv?

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So I got an email from a friend with a .WMV file attached. Download It and then I get a msg that my WP8 can't open these file types. Huh? My mango phone could. Last I checked Microsoft invented the format?

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
That's not new. They never did fix Zune to work with their new Media Center file format, so I could never transfer my recorded TV shows via it. They do this crap all the time.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This has nothing to do with Zune. I'm talking about a wmv file attachment in email. You can download the file but when u open it pops up saying the file can't be opened. There is simply no excuse for that. And there is nothing wrong with the file. I can open and play on my PC just fine. W7 or w8.

I am P3rfact

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
This is just ridiculous. Did win phone team got the clue that's in the name of this extension? WINDOWS media ?

I have switched from iphone to find basic OS features missing from WP8.

This is not a 1.0 product, this is a product at alpha stage.

Also no indication of update schedule and what will be fixed or added.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
It's Microsoft, don't expect it at all. Still better than Sony, which will go to great expense to include such functionality in launch products, then realize it costs too much and drops it in a silent revision later on.

On the other hand, the chipset itself may have limitations, no WMV Pro (9-Advanced?) codec content, at least for older chipsets (I don't know much about the new S4 chip).

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
To be fair I just synced a .wmv video file from my computer to my phone using the WP8 windows 7 app. can confirm that the video is playing fine. not sure why the e-mail video isn't opening for you.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I also haven't had any issues playing WMV files although I've only downloaded them via the web and haven't received them via email attachments. Are you sure the file isn't corrupt?

siulaymama

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Did you send it using a web email or regular email client? I use skydrive to store videos and found out for the same WMV file if I upload it with FFox the file WILL NOT play but IE seems to be fine. May be have something to do with how FFox handle large file?

Ganesh Subramaniam

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I was able to transfer a .wmv video to my Samsung Ativ-S wp8 phone. I did the following to get it to work
1. Connect your wp8 phone to the desktop/laptop and ensure that its recognized as a device that can be communicated with
2. On my win8 desktop, right click on the video you would and choose Send To -> Samsung Ativ-S (or whatever name your phone is identified by)
3. You will receive a message "Do you want to be able to play ***.mwv on your device?
Yes (recommended)
This file will be converted and copied, so you can play it on your device
No, just copy
Your file will be copied, but might not pay on your device"
Choose Yes and the file will be copied after conversion. The copy process would take longer than just copying, but once its complete, you should be able to play the video on your phone.
I have only tried it on my phone with the latest WP8 version, so this may not work with older windows OS + wp.

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
wmv is developed by microsoft, so obviously its not available on wp8 yet :).. it will be added to the platform soon, give microsoft a break, will ya?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05