05-27-2013 03:18 AM
112 ... 2345
tools
    I have Weather Live, CNN, MyStocks Portfolio, Flixster, IMDB, ESPN (Nokia), ESPN Scorecenter, TV Show, SportsScores, Metro Tube, USA Today, BBC Mobile, Weave, Fuse and Bill Reminder as third party apps with Live Tiles.

Of those, the only Live Tile that didn't work properly was the ESPN Live Tile. I don't recall if it was the Nokia version or Scorecenter... Nokia I think. It started, but then just fell behind on a football game. But, since I have SportsScores, I just minimized the ESPNs. But, every Live Tile I have works and works well. I'm using a Lumia 810 now, but that worked fine on my Dell Venue Pro too. Oh yeah. Even though, the Flixster tile works, it takes like a month to change. Hah.

Again, I believe a well-coded app works well. But, there can be so many variables that issues become hard to pin down. Make sure background tasks are turned off for apps that aren't pinned and check the app specific settings to make sure the Live Tile is activated in each of the apps you wish to use it. That's all I can really offer.
    -Scienide- likes this.
    11-25-2012 02:10 AM
    I had originally used Kik Messenger and Textplus on a Lumia 710 with WP7.5. Every time I get a toast notification, there would be a red badge with Kik and an incremental count on Textplus. However, for the last several months with the 710, Kik and Textplus were very sporadic when updating their live tiles AFTER a toast notification.

Now, on my Lumia 920, the tile for Kik has worked ONCE out of about 50+ messages even though toast notification is PERFECT. Textplus craps out with an error in registration (known issues). The live tiles for Kik just refuses to update in small, medium, or big tile. In fact, if I missed the toast notification, then I have no clue that a new message is waiting. For some reasons, toast notification and live tile are NOT updated at the same time, and it's very annoying for a messaging program. I have missed many messages thinking that no one has sent me anything.

I don't know who's to blame: Kik or Microsoft or both? For a period of time, Kik worked flawlessly when updating the red badge after a toast notification. Since then, I have less than a 1% success rate with it on the Lumia 710 and 920.
    11-25-2012 04:15 AM
    Espn Scorecenter stuck on Cavs-Heat halftime score when the game is actually over. This is probably bad coding as Premier Leagues + (football app, soccer if you're in the US) always updates fine like it was on WP7.
    11-25-2012 04:19 AM
    ESPN, doesnt update Bloomberg hasnt updated since yesterday. The Weather Channel updates certain times.
    11-25-2012 09:35 AM
    The only live tiles that are actually live on my WP7 are calls, messages and emails. The pictures tile plays a slide show of random pictures, but I dont think that counts as a live tile. I will there was a weather app with a live tile.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    11-25-2012 09:41 AM
    I will there was a weather app with a live tile.
    There are more than a dozen, easily.
    11-25-2012 09:54 AM
    There is a major problem here. The Nokia Espn, Espn Score Center, Weather Channel, and Facebook apps have problems updating their live tiles and showing notifications on my Lumia 920.

I think this is a problem w/ developers and not WP7 or WP8. My Me tile and WP Central tile work fine.
    What is the WP Central tile supposed to do? Mine won't go to full wide screen, only large square size and it has never shown ANY information since I installed it a week ago...
    11-25-2012 10:04 AM
    What is the WP Central tile supposed to do? Mine won't go to full wide screen, only large square size and it has never shown ANY information since I installed it a week ago...
    Mine has a number of unread news stories and it shows the picture of the latest story as the background. Its always up to date.
    11-25-2012 02:55 PM
    Here it is in action. The front and the back:

wp_ss_20121125_0001.pngwp_ss_20121125_0002.jpg
    11-25-2012 03:04 PM
    Did you go in and enable it? It has pretty detailed status about when the background task last ran, what errors occurred, and you can put a timestamp so you know the last time it updated
    -Scienide- likes this.
    11-25-2012 03:10 PM
    I can't believe headlines still get cut off on live tiles, that makes a lot of them just useless as you still need to open the app to check what the stories are actually about.
    11-25-2012 04:03 PM
    I can't believe headlines still get cut off on live tiles, that makes a lot of them just useless as you still need to open the app to check what the stories are actually about.
    Yeah it is a bit odd. To be fair though, thats one of the few times I've seen it happen on the WP Central App. Usually the headlines are short enough to fit. It's still a bit naff though and I think they should scroll or something.
    11-25-2012 04:12 PM
    Yeah it is a bit odd. To be fair though, thats one of the few times I've seen it happen on the WP Central App. Usually the headlines are short enough to fit. It's still a bit naff though and I think they should scroll or something.
    It's happened before on WPCentral, I disabled all my news apps because of that, that's just ridiculous. There's no glance and go if you have to open the app to read the full headline, why can't these apps use small fonts like on the Me tile? I know in WP7 developers didn't have access to smaller fonts and it looks like this hasn't changed in WP8.
    11-25-2012 04:31 PM
    It's happened before on WPCentral, I disabled all my news apps because of that, that's just ridiculous. There's no glance and go if you have to open the app to read the full headline, why can't these apps use small fonts like on the Me tile? I know in WP7 developers didn't have access to smaller fonts and it looks like this hasn't changed in WP8.
    I can undoubtedly say that this doesn't occur with BBC Mobile and News360. Full headlines are shown and don't get cut off. This leads me to believe it's on the dev to make sure this doesn't happen. Weave may be another news app this doesn't occur on.
    11-27-2012 08:44 PM
    An easy way around that would just be to render an image with the text on it in the font of your choice. I don't see why you'd HAVE to use the text property on he tile
    11-27-2012 10:23 PM
    I discussed that with a few devs and although they're aware of the picture rendering solution, they all agree it's a lot of work for a small task. They were hopping font resizing would be in WP8 which I don't think has made it. The Me tile does use different sizes depending on the content so it's really Microsoft not playing nice with developers.
    11-28-2012 03:23 AM
    I got an L900 a little over 2 months ago and for the third time some of my most-used tiles stopped updating. The first 2 times they just stated working again after 1-2 days. Right now the Weather Channel (original version), Accuweather, USA Today, My Stocks, Fox news, and WPcentral haven't updated in 4 days. BBC news, The Onion, Urban Dictionary, Arkwords, Daily Dilbert still work. (I realize that some of these are probably once a day update-type tiles).
    Had same problems with the LG Quantum I had for a year and a half. Had to do a factory reset 3 times to clear up the same problems I am having with L900 now. WTF.
    Regarding WPcentral-in the settings/live tile/background task info in "news task last run" it is stuck at "12:00 am". That is why I'm getting no notifications or tile updates. I've seen it at 12am before but then it would go some arbitrary time when it does do its update properly. Would love to hear from Jay Bennet about why its been stuck at 12am for the past 4 days!
    Last edited by scdkad; 11-28-2012 at 04:09 AM.
    11-28-2012 03:42 AM
    Sure, there's always an excuse isn't there?
    11-28-2012 03:53 AM
    Works fine on my device. Email works, SMS works, phone works, Me-tile works, contacts work, groups work, calendar works.

Not sure about third party apps, havent got any that require a live tile, but if its as horrible as people claim I do hope it get fixed, obviously.
    11-28-2012 04:01 AM
    First party apps have always worked fine even in WP7, the issues are with the 3rd party ones.
    11-28-2012 04:05 AM
    Pre-Tango WP7 had an internal issue where pull tiles would stop working once you hit 16-20 installed (not active) pull apps. You'd have to uninstall, restart, & they were back. This was fixed in Tango, & on my 920 I have 120+ installed apps, many of which utilize pull, & I've had no issues. You may want to try the pre Tango solution of uninstalling apps which show up in Background Tasks one at a time to see if it works. You mentioned a few apps that still work, but those look to be "push" & not pull.
    11-28-2012 06:29 AM
    My ESPN scorecenter is still showing me a scorboard from the 1st quarter of Monday Night Football. But given the live wallpaper that was hyped is still absent, there better be a big update coming for ESPN
    11-28-2012 12:46 PM
    It is funny, I was able to get push notifications from ESPN Scorecenter for the alerts but never anything for the tile. They should be using the exact same mechanism...
    11-28-2012 01:32 PM
    I will go ahead and add myself to this list. My 822 stopped updating tiles two days ago.

2 reboots later and they work again. I wonder how long until they stop.
    Last edited by ironsoulreaver; 11-29-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    11-29-2012 08:56 AM
    I had this now and then on my Omnia7 WP7, just got my Lumia 920 so I hope its better.
    11-29-2012 10:00 AM
112 ... 2345