Live tiles flat out don't work

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft could fix the problem by mandating push as part of the Live Tile system, but that would tick off developers who don't have enough resources to support push.

(BTW, Rowi is an example of a high profile app where the "free" version doesn't support real-time Live Tiles but the paid version does.)

Use the carrot, not the stick. Don't "mandate" push, but create a badge or category in the store that certifies the app to use live tiles. Considering that in mobile app stores having a high profile is everything, developers would jump at the chance to lift their product above the unwashed masses.

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
The only two ones that give me problem is, ESPN Doesn't update at all, the Weather Channel works only certain times. CNN and Engadget work flawlessly...Any know how to fix the weather channel? It shows daylight when it should be night.

Last edited:

dtiapril

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
To be fair I have a tile for my partner and it's been showing me the same status update on the live tile for the past 2 days, despite him regularly posting to Twitter and Facebook. It updates AFTER I click on him and view through what's new, but doesn't ever seem to update by itself, so what's the point? Wasn't sure if it was meant to be like this but that doesn't make much sense...

P.S. Click the link in my sig to read my blog if you think I'm an iTroll :D

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
To be fair I have a tile for my partner and it's been showing me the same status update on the live tile for the past 2 days, despite him regularly posting to Twitter and Facebook. It updates AFTER I click on him and view through what's new, but doesn't ever seem to update by itself, so what's the point? Wasn't sure if it was meant to be like this but that doesn't make much sense...

P.S. Click the link in my sig to read my blog if you think I'm an iTroll :D

Nope, it shouldn't be like that. I have two Live tiles set up for my sisters and every time they post a status update to facebook it comes through on my tiles. If they havent posted for so many hours then it just shows the picture and no status message. It works fine for me. Not sure why its not working for you, weird isn't it?

mrgstiffler

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have problems with pretty much all of my Live tiles. I have 8 pinned contacts. Only 2 of them show any data. Weather and Calendar seem to work. Everything else I've made small because they just don't show anything.

wfblue

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
espn tile updates immediately for me-almost no delay for live scoring in ncaa football today. Same with "top story" on CNN tile.

eidorian22

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
There is a major problem here. The Nokia Espn, Espn Score Center, Weather Channel, and Facebook apps have problems updating their live tiles and showing notifications on my Lumia 920.

I think this is a problem w/ developers and not WP7 or WP8. My Me tile and WP Central tile work fine.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I have Weather Live, CNN, MyStocks Portfolio, Flixster, IMDB, ESPN (Nokia), ESPN Scorecenter, TV Show, SportsScores, Metro Tube, USA Today, BBC Mobile, Weave, Fuse and Bill Reminder as third party apps with Live Tiles.

Of those, the only Live Tile that didn't work properly was the ESPN Live Tile. I don't recall if it was the Nokia version or Scorecenter... Nokia I think. It started, but then just fell behind on a football game. But, since I have SportsScores, I just minimized the ESPNs. But, every Live Tile I have works and works well. I'm using a Lumia 810 now, but that worked fine on my Dell Venue Pro too. Oh yeah. Even though, the Flixster tile works, it takes like a month to change. Hah.

Again, I believe a well-coded app works well. But, there can be so many variables that issues become hard to pin down. Make sure background tasks are turned off for apps that aren't pinned and check the app specific settings to make sure the Live Tile is activated in each of the apps you wish to use it. That's all I can really offer.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I had originally used Kik Messenger and Textplus on a Lumia 710 with WP7.5. Every time I get a toast notification, there would be a red badge with Kik and an incremental count on Textplus. However, for the last several months with the 710, Kik and Textplus were very sporadic when updating their live tiles AFTER a toast notification.

Now, on my Lumia 920, the tile for Kik has worked ONCE out of about 50+ messages even though toast notification is PERFECT. Textplus craps out with an error in registration (known issues). The live tiles for Kik just refuses to update in small, medium, or big tile. In fact, if I missed the toast notification, then I have no clue that a new message is waiting. For some reasons, toast notification and live tile are NOT updated at the same time, and it's very annoying for a messaging program. I have missed many messages thinking that no one has sent me anything.

I don't know who's to blame: Kik or Microsoft or both? For a period of time, Kik worked flawlessly when updating the red badge after a toast notification. Since then, I have less than a 1% success rate with it on the Lumia 710 and 920.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Espn Scorecenter stuck on Cavs-Heat halftime score when the game is actually over. This is probably bad coding as Premier Leagues + (football app, soccer if you're in the US) always updates fine like it was on WP7.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The only live tiles that are actually live on my WP7 are calls, messages and emails. The pictures tile plays a slide show of random pictures, but I dont think that counts as a live tile. I will there was a weather app with a live tile.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers