Live tiles flat out don't work

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I agree. Great in concept but as of now they are completely broken, not sure how MS didn't test some of this stuff out. Not sure if it's an OS problem or an app problem.

Last edited:

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen the problem in four days with WP8 -- all my live tiles keep updating (mail, messaging, weather, battery, etc.).

Is it with certain live tiles, or all of them? Do the tiles respond when you tap them? Are you seeing other glitches with the OS? Which phone?

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to click on them to update even tho I have them set to update. Even Facebook isn't updating or twitter. Great concept but but broken execution. Pretty much sums up the os

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Seeing as only a couple of people have "reported" this it could be caused by anything (if indeed its real and not trolling).

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
how come whenever anyone has a negative experience with a phone or the OS people always jump to the \" trolling" defense on these boards? Are wp8 users that defensive? -

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, there are a couple of reasons.

First, there is history of iTrolls and Android trolls coming in here posing as WP users complaining about "issues". The natural effect is to make people sensitive to the possibility.

Second, when you see people with limited post counts appear and on checking most if not all the posts are negative then it raises the odds that the person is trolling. In other words, just like everywhere else when people only chip in in a negative sense they do get assumed a bit to be trolling.

Trolls are a real problem because they both create a false picture that WP is "broken" and also by making it harder to identify real issues as opposed to fabricated ones.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Some apps update live tiles using backgroud tasks which is not what Microsoft recommend. The background task for the app could have been disabled. If the app hasn't been opened for something like 10 days, then the associated background task is disabled automaticaly. Check in settings--> applications --> background tasks.

Mangrove Mafia

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree that some of the live tiles don't update as I'd expect them to, but I also find that these are third party apps in my case. With that said, the installed Nokia/Weather Channel weather app hardly updated. Uninstalled that one and installed the Microsoft weather app and it updates very regularly.

nico002

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I am referring only to third party apps (CNN, espn, wpcentral, daily beast, fuse, etc). Background tasks are on, tiles update when they feel like it.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I notice my Facebook notifications don't update. My lockscreen and FB tile still show 6 notifications this morning, although I read them all yesterday. But most of my Live Tiles are working, weather apps, CNN, NY Times, Feed Reader, WP Central.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
how come whenever anyone has a negative experience with a phone or the OS people always jump to the \" trolling" defense on these boards? Are wp8 users that defensive? -

Because most of the people coming here lately are Trolls!

In the last week or so I've seen probably a hundred different issues being raised but I have yet to experience a single one of these. Either I have the only fully functioning WP8 device on the planet or some of these people are exaggerating / lying / too lazy to ready directions.

One of the above statements is true.

I did initialy see some isses with Weather Channel live title updating but they have since corrected that.

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Tiles actually don't update that frequently because background tasks are given a small window to do updates every 30mins. Some apps pull an image from the network, others store it locally if an app isn't updating it's probably not getting the chance to do it due to the way background tasks work on WP.

Maybe Microsoft gave people the wrong impression that it updated much more frequently than they normally do.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Ifeel like an easy fix would be to allow the user to define when updates happen. I wouldn't mind getting no updates until I unlock the phone. Once my phone is unlocked, then pull live tile information. For those who pick up their phone frequently tell it to update on lock but at most x times per hour. Easy.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Some of my apps update just fine. Here are the problems I have encountered so far:

ESPN live tile does not update AT ALL. Just sits on the nice little "ESPN" no matter what the tile size.

Facebook does not update. It just rolls between my profile banner and "what's on your mind"

Photos live tile keeps rolling through deleted photos unless I unpin and repin the photos tile. If I pin favorites, they do not refresh at all.

The only third party tile I have that is working is the HTC tile (I don't have that many).

Verizon HTC 8x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)