Live tiles flat out don't work

dtiapril

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
There is a major problem here. The Nokia Espn, Espn Score Center, Weather Channel, and Facebook apps have problems updating their live tiles and showing notifications on my Lumia 920.

I think this is a problem w/ developers and not WP7 or WP8. My Me tile and WP Central tile work fine.

What is the WP Central tile supposed to do? Mine won't go to full wide screen, only large square size and it has never shown ANY information since I installed it a week ago...

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
What is the WP Central tile supposed to do? Mine won't go to full wide screen, only large square size and it has never shown ANY information since I installed it a week ago...

Mine has a number of unread news stories and it shows the picture of the latest story as the background. Its always up to date.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Did you go in and enable it? It has pretty detailed status about when the background task last ran, what errors occurred, and you can put a timestamp so you know the last time it updated

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe headlines still get cut off on live tiles, that makes a lot of them just useless as you still need to open the app to check what the stories are actually about.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe headlines still get cut off on live tiles, that makes a lot of them just useless as you still need to open the app to check what the stories are actually about.

Yeah it is a bit odd. To be fair though, thats one of the few times I've seen it happen on the WP Central App. Usually the headlines are short enough to fit. It's still a bit naff though and I think they should scroll or something.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it is a bit odd. To be fair though, thats one of the few times I've seen it happen on the WP Central App. Usually the headlines are short enough to fit. It's still a bit naff though and I think they should scroll or something.
It's happened before on WPCentral, I disabled all my news apps because of that, that's just ridiculous. There's no glance and go if you have to open the app to read the full headline, why can't these apps use small fonts like on the Me tile? I know in WP7 developers didn't have access to smaller fonts and it looks like this hasn't changed in WP8.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
It's happened before on WPCentral, I disabled all my news apps because of that, that's just ridiculous. There's no glance and go if you have to open the app to read the full headline, why can't these apps use small fonts like on the Me tile? I know in WP7 developers didn't have access to smaller fonts and it looks like this hasn't changed in WP8.

I can undoubtedly say that this doesn't occur with BBC Mobile and News360. Full headlines are shown and don't get cut off. This leads me to believe it's on the dev to make sure this doesn't happen. Weave may be another news app this doesn't occur on.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

An easy way around that would just be to render an image with the text on it in the font of your choice. I don't see why you'd HAVE to use the text property on he tile

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I discussed that with a few devs and although they're aware of the picture rendering solution, they all agree it's a lot of work for a small task. They were hopping font resizing would be in WP8 which I don't think has made it. The Me tile does use different sizes depending on the content so it's really Microsoft not playing nice with developers.

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I got an L900 a little over 2 months ago and for the third time some of my most-used tiles stopped updating. The first 2 times they just stated working again after 1-2 days. Right now the Weather Channel (original version), Accuweather, USA Today, My Stocks, Fox news, and WPcentral haven't updated in 4 days. BBC news, The Onion, Urban Dictionary, Arkwords, Daily Dilbert still work. (I realize that some of these are probably once a day update-type tiles).
Had same problems with the LG Quantum I had for a year and a half. Had to do a factory reset 3 times to clear up the same problems I am having with L900 now. WTF.
Regarding WPcentral-in the settings/live tile/background task info in "news task last run" it is stuck at "12:00 am". That is why I'm getting no notifications or tile updates. I've seen it at 12am before but then it would go some arbitrary time when it does do its update properly. Would love to hear from Jay Bennet about why its been stuck at 12am for the past 4 days!

Last edited:

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Works fine on my device. Email works, SMS works, phone works, Me-tile works, contacts work, groups work, calendar works.

Not sure about third party apps, havent got any that require a live tile, but if its as horrible as people claim I do hope it get fixed, obviously.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Pre-Tango WP7 had an internal issue where pull tiles would stop working once you hit 16-20 installed (not active) pull apps. You'd have to uninstall, restart, & they were back. This was fixed in Tango, & on my 920 I have 120+ installed apps, many of which utilize pull, & I've had no issues. You may want to try the pre Tango solution of uninstalling apps which show up in Background Tasks one at a time to see if it works. You mentioned a few apps that still work, but those look to be "push" & not pull.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
My ESPN scorecenter is still showing me a scorboard from the 1st quarter of Monday Night Football. But given the live wallpaper that was hyped is still absent, there better be a big update coming for ESPN

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
It is funny, I was able to get push notifications from ESPN Scorecenter for the alerts but never anything for the tile. They should be using the exact same mechanism...

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I will go ahead and add myself to this list. My 822 stopped updating tiles two days ago.

2 reboots later and they work again. I wonder how long until they stop.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo