How to shut down a running app on nokia 920

fantom555

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
after i open an app and i dont want to have the window open anymore how do shut it down. if i click on the left arrow it shows all open windows or apps is there a simple way to shut them down.

LimeSoda

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Don't have wp8 but isn't it the same as wp7.5. (quick) back arrow to go back and eventually out of the app. Never had to worry about closing apps in 7.5

leftturney

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'll try and hopefully keep this easy.

Pressing and holding back will display all open apps, you can slide and tap to switch apps.

Once you are in an app, press the back button to exit it. If a exit dialog or menu appears, exit using that option, otherwise once it is back on the home screen (live tiles) it has exited.

If you are in an application and press the windows key to get back to the tiles, that application will remain open in the background.

Hope this helps.

fantom555

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Pressing and holding back will display all open apps, you can slide and tap to switch apps.

Once you are in an app, press the back button to exit it. If a exit dialog or menu appears, exit using that option, otherwise once it is back on the home screen (live tiles) it has exited.

If you are in an application and press the windows key to get back to the tiles, that application will remain open in the background.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so this is no single way to close all open apps in one shot thanks for you help

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Thanks so this is no single way to close all open apps in one shot thanks for you help

Nope not yet. I figure it's a matter of time before they add something in the task switcher view that will do this, but for now switching and then back arrow is it.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Pinning an app to the home screen and activating live tiles keeps notifications running. It gives you the benefits of an "open app" without the battery life issues.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyway to stop the new "resume from start"?

Example, I open Facebook, play some games, send an email. Any amount of time later, I click Facebook it goes to where it left off. This new feature I don't think I'll get used to when I get my new phone. Can this be disabled in the settings? What is it really called?

AC Burl

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Hope this helps.

Thanks - that's perfect! I have at least one app that I really like when I need it, but suspect it drains battery in the background when I'm not using it. Hoping this will let me kill it when I'm done with it and will see better battery life as a result.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks - that's perfect! I have at least one app that I really like when I need it, but suspect it drains battery in the background when I'm not using it. Hoping this will let me kill it when I'm done with it and will see better battery life as a result.

I don't think that list that pops up when you hold down the back button isn't a list of things that are running in the background. If you want to see what is actually running in the background do this.

1. Settings
  2. Swipe over to Applicatons
  3. Tap on Background Tasks

That contains the list of apps that are allowed to run in the background. They will either say 'allowed' which means they can run, but currently are not, 'blocked' which means they can not run in the background, or 'running' which obviously means they are currently running. Nokia Drive will show up as running if you have been using it for example...

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Not true - except in very rare instances, i.e. Nokia Drive. Apps simply remain in a "suspended" state but are NOT actually running.

"Resume from Start" is similar to but not the same as tombstoning. Either way it can't be disabled.

Lenas

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
A quick double tap of the back button will close any open application and won't store it suspended in the multi-tasker.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
A double-tap from the Start screen, that is.

Even a double-tap is not sufficient for certain apps, if they require more than one tap of the back button to close.

Gerrok

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed when I leave some app, either Star Wars Angry Birds or Audible, and go back to the start screen.. that if I hold the speakers up to my ears, I can hear a high pitched buzz. So, something at least has the "sound card" ( chip? ) whatever still engaged. So, THAT, at least is using up my battery.

I can even hear the buzz while Angry Birds is on mute.

Geoffrey Brown

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Three states an app can be in?

I have a Nokia 920 and it would seem to me that there are 3 ways in which users control the applications they run...

1) Pressing the back button in all cases appears to terminate the application or at least stop it operating.

2) Presssing the home button while in an app seems to sometimes keep the app runnin in the background but other times seems to cause it to stop working.

3) Pressing and holding the back button until the "taskmanager" starts. When doing this the application always appears to continue running if another application is selected.​

An example of an app that appears to operate in these 3 ways - TubeBox. Pressing the home key when in the app causes the video/audio to stop and when going into the app you are back at the start. Pressing and holding the back button and then going to another app keeps thing running in the background. Also doing a long press on the back button then pressing the home key still seems to keep apps running in the background.

Geoffrey.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster