GMAIL Exchange: I delete emails from 8X but messages stay in GMAIL on dekstop

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
An issue I've noticed is that any email I delete from my phone doesn't get deleted from gmail and vice versa. Anybody else use gmail exchange and have this issue? It worked fine on my iPhone.

My outlook exchange account for work has no issues and works fine. As soon as I delete an email from my phone, it disappears from outlook on my desktop.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
WP does not delete a message in Gmail, but rather archives it. This mean it's not actually deleted and remains on the server (you can see it when you go to "All Mail"). I do not think you can change this behavior in WP.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Gmail sucks. Gmail's "Exchange" isn't really Exchange, but a "compatible" version that doesn't work correctly, for e-mail syncing as well as calendar invitations.

If you want a trouble-free e-mail and calendar experience, switch from Gmail to Outlook.com. It really is that simple.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
WP does not delete a message in Gmail, but rather archives it. This mean it's not actually deleted and remains on the server (you can see it when you go to "All Mail"). I do not think you can change this behavior in WP.

Correct. Gmail archives the emails instead of deleting them so that it can scrape private data from your archived emails to resell to advertisers (while building a profile about you) as you surf the web and perform other activities on your device.

Bugrahan

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
An issue I've noticed is that any email I delete from my phone doesn't get deleted from gmail and vice versa. Anybody else use gmail exchange and have this issue? It worked fine on my iPhone.

My outlook exchange account for work has no issues and works fine. As soon as I delete an email from my phone, it disappears from outlook on my desktop.

The answer is on this link: https://plus.google.com/+Gmail/posts/6R1SroLimBc

You are welcome!

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The answer is on this link: https://plus.google.com/+Gmail/posts/6R1SroLimBc

You are welcome!

Thanks for the link. I actually was going to this link on my desktop and those options don't show up over there. So thanks to you I tried it on my phone and now I have those option. Unfortunately I still have the same weird problem. I delete the emails from my phone but they are still in my inbox when I log into gmail on my desktop web browser. I'm gonna delete my account off of my phone and try again.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Its the same for hotmail accounts, etc. I didn't read the link but what it likely states is that WP only sync's with email server every 30 minutes or so. It may be able to sync using a shorter time setting. but I've never looked into it. WP7 was the same way.

sachapman

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
It looks like this is what worked for me. Go into settings from the Gmail web client, then got to "Forwarding and Pop/IMAP". Then under IMAP access:

X Enable IMAP
Disable IMAP

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:
Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default)
X Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server.

When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:
Archive the message (default)
X Move the message to the Trash
Immediately delete the message forever

The confusing part was that I couldn't click "move the message to trash" until I turned Auto-expunge off. I'm not sure that makes sense, but it seems to have fixed the problem for me on WP8 on my Lumia 810.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss