WP8 Newbie Tips

oaooao

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Do you know if it's possible to kill them selectively?
If not, how can one kill specific running app -- part. browser sessions?

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

for the love of God! One does NOT have to KILL apps, they are suspended automatically (unless they have a dedicated background agent - Settings>Background apps). This ain't no frikkin' Droid ^_^ However you can keep tapping Back until they disappear from the suspended apps (tap and hold Back) and ad the browser - you can close the active tab to get a clean start next time You open IE.

jhdutch95

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
my lumia 620 wont load data, send/recieved text or make call on 3g or H. only do when on edge or H+. works fine on other phone.why?

oaooao

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for responding.

Myabe I misunderstand something. Let me ask you this: I go into a Starbucks and connect to their WiFi. It opens IE which prompts me to connect. After I do when I tap on the Back key, it does not get me away--it stays on the IE session. I can tap Home switch, but when I tap Back long I see the IE session still active. Is that how it should work? I ask, because on my PC once I connect I can close IE. Anything I am missing here?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responding.

Myabe I misunderstand something. Let me ask you this: I go into a Starbucks and connect to their WiFi. It opens IE which prompts me to connect. After I do when I tap on the Back key, it does not get me away--it stays on the IE session. I can tap Home switch, but when I tap Back long I see the IE session still active. Is that how it should work? I ask, because on my PC once I connect I can close IE. Anything I am missing here?

Its a bug i think. Go into the "tabs" menu and close the tab.

The back button will now function normally

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Read this thread - it will enlighten you.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...naging-background-apps-why-you-dont-need.html

Thanks for responding.

Since I don't go to Starbucks, I'm making an educated guess here.

You connect to their wifi, and since their wifi is one that makes you go through a browser page to accept terms (I'm guessing), it opens a browser tab. But when you hit back, it stays in the browser. You don't say if it goes back a page or not, so I'm going to assume that in your view it does not. My guess is that when they open the browser tab, it opens directly to a page that has a forward to the page that you actually see. So when you hit back, it goes back to the page that forwards you to the same page you were on. Does this sound like what's happening?

It also could be that they are not forwarding, but is in the way that Windows Phone handles the series of actions that lead to the web page. I can't be sure, but I'm leaning toward my first hypothesis.

As Kellzea said, close the tab.

Also, for browser sessions, if you want to remove it from the back stack, hit the start button, then hit the IE button (NOT back). After the browser reopens to where you just were, hit back. IE is no longer in the back stack.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Also, for browser sessions, if you want to remove it from the back stack, hit the start button, then hit the IE button (NOT back). After the browser reopens to where you just were, hit back. IE is no longer in the back stack.
that's a neat tip, thanks

as for the "back" bug, the m.youtube.com site tends to do the same, I have to ram the back key like crazy before it finally jumps one step before YT :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

as for the "back" bug, the m.youtube.com site tends to do the same, I have to ram the back key like crazy before it finally jumps one step before YT :)

That's going to be because it loads one page then forwards to another. I'm going to guess compatibility is the reason for the forward, but don't know for sure. Anytime you have a page forwarding to another page, you're going to find this.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I still don't see an answer how the one user was able to have multiple app updates on their lock screen. Anyone know how this was done? Thanks!

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I still don't see an answer how the one user was able to have multiple app updates on their lock screen. Anyone know how this was done? Thanks!

Let me repeat, he wasn't! ^_^ Probably a misunderstanding. There are three ways to have updates on lock screen: 1) background (music can override this with artist image if set), 2) text under the date, 3) five status icons. That's it.

niovhe

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Here are two tips:

In Bing Search if you press the (C) sign inside the photo you get detailed information about it.
In SMS Messaging if you tap & hold a conversation balloon you get presented with 3 options.

krpatel

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
After so many tips I thought let me share one I learn.

Press power button and windows phone home key to capture the windows phone screen shot, and you can share with any one.

:)

jimmiet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I missed it in here but I'm looking for a answer to my dilemma. Lets say my dad calls and I miss it. So I go to my call log and it says his name. I click his name and go to History, and it shows the missed calls. The problem is my dad has a cell, work, and home number and I'm not able to see what number he actually made the call from. Am I missing something???

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I missed it in here but I'm looking for a answer to my dilemma. Lets say my dad calls and I miss it. So I go to my call log and it says his name. I click his name and go to History, and it shows the missed calls. The problem is my dad has a cell, work, and home number and I'm not able to see what number he actually made the call from. Am I missing something???

Yes, You are :)
wp_ss_20130627_0001.png

lahirik

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
When browsing with IE, you can choose to open a new link in a new tab, window or in the same tab in the browser settings. after opening several tabs and want to close the after you are done you do not have to hit the back button several times, but click on the (...) on the bottom right hand corner, select tabs (which will show you all the tabs open) and click on the 'x'. This will close the tab. saves several clicks

lahirik

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for responding.

When browsing with IE, you can choose to open a new link in a new tab, window or in the same tab in the browser settings. after opening several tabs and want to close the after you are done you do not have to hit the back button several times, but click on the (...) on the bottom right hand corner, select tabs (which will show you all the tabs open) and click on the 'x'. This will close the tab. saves several clicks

lahirik

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss