06-05-2013 06:47 PM
72 123
tools
    Those options are available. After setting destination there is a screen with a map in the top and the trip info with start button on the bottom. On the bottom of the map there are icons. Click that row of icons to change from fastest to shortest, toll roads etc...
    That's it! I KNEW I'd seen it!
    11-23-2012 10:26 AM
    Those options are available. After setting destination there is a screen with a map in the top and the trip info with start button on the bottom. On the bottom of the map there are icons. Click that row of icons to change from fastest to shortest, toll roads etc...
    Aaaa, they changed it. I liked it better when you could change it in the "navigation options", after you hit "Start".
    11-23-2012 10:57 AM
    change the voice in settings and download the voices that have announced street names and select it for the voice to use.
    Which voices say street names?
    11-24-2012 07:44 PM
    Which voices say street names?
    Go "settings", "navigation voice", "download new", "English (US) announced street names". There is a male and a female voice.
    11-24-2012 09:30 PM
    I use Garmin StreetPilot. Anyone know how to set Garmin as the default navigation app when you have used search?
    11-24-2012 09:34 PM
    Now that I have the voice that says the street names, I'm quite impressed with Nokia Drive ;)
    11-24-2012 09:37 PM
    Now that I have the voice that says the street names, I'm quite impressed with Nokia Drive ;)
    Maybe next time you will explore the settings more closely before wigging out and lambasting us with your's (and other's) incessant b**ching and whining.

**Apologies, but these whiny posts are getting irksome.
    11-24-2012 10:56 PM
    Where was I whining/complaining in this thread?

I think lots of folks are making unnecessary complaints too, but at least know who you are attempting to attack....
    11-25-2012 12:30 AM
    I'm currently on the tail end of a family vacation and Nokia Drive has performed flawlessly. My only complaint is I wish you could access your contact list from within the app. Right now, the steps are contact -> maps -> drive, with many small steps included. I know this isn't a limitation of windows phone, as Navigon has this build in. I guess my other complaint would be not having all of Nokia's mapping offerings in one app. Drive, Maps, Transit, City Lens. I'm sure there is a good reason they are split up, but I can't think of it.
    Small criticisms though; I'm very happy with Drive.
    11-25-2012 09:28 AM
    After changing the voice to announce street names, I thought I would use Nokia Drive all the way home from Jachsonville, FL to Fort Worth, TX. Within 30 minutes I had switched back to my Garmin.

I was leaving form a residential area, and Drive got the first turn right, but it didn't announce the street name. I was only two houses from the corner and had noticed this behavior earlier. You will be told the street name every time until you actually are at the turn, then it will just say "turn right" or "turn left".

Then things got worse. There were about 6 turns to make before reaching I-10. After that first turn, it told me my next turn was 600 miles away in Mississippi. Right when I was supposed to be making a left hand turn, it told me to "continue on this course for 596 miles". Ugh, that would have put me in Virginia. It didn't mention any of the other turns I was supposed to make.

Interesting thing was that the map on display was correct, but the next turn indicator at the top of the screen matched the spoken commands.

Luckily my wife had her trusty HD7 handy and used Bing Maps and navigation to get us to I-10, then setup the Garmin.

#NokiaAppledMyMaps
    11-26-2012 08:44 PM
    After changing the voice to announce street names, I thought I would use Nokia Drive all the way home from Jachsonville, FL to Fort Worth, TX. Within 30 minutes I had switched back to my Garmin.

I was leaving form a residential area, and Drive got the first turn right, but it didn't announce the street name. I was only two houses from the corner and had noticed this behavior earlier. You will be told the street name every time until you actually are at the turn, then it will just say "turn right" or "turn left".

Then things got worse. There were about 6 turns to make before reaching I-10. After that first turn, it told me my next turn was 600 miles away in Mississippi. Right when I was supposed to be making a left hand turn, it told me to "continue on this course for 596 miles". Ugh, that would have put me in Virginia. It didn't mention any of the other turns I was supposed to make.

Interesting thing was that the map on display was correct, but the next turn indicator at the top of the screen matched the spoken commands.

Luckily my wife had her trusty HD7 handy and used Bing Maps and navigation to get us to I-10, then setup the Garmin.

#NokiaAppledMyMaps
    I think that the application has the word BETA after Nokia Drive. Does that say anything to you.
    11-26-2012 08:47 PM
    I've been using it for 2 weeks - just saw the english with street names map option - going to test it again.

Now if i can just figure out how to fix the fact that navigation voice is twice as loud as the music im playing... its impossible to use when it blows out your ears everytime it tries to direct you... anyone know how to get the music and navi normalized?

and most of all - traffic conditions - any idea when this might be integrated into the actual routing?
    11-26-2012 10:34 PM
    I was an iphone user and had Navigon and Waze. Nokia Drive is a joke and should come with a happy meal. The UI is clunky and not intuitive. The maps are not that great and had me going far out of my way. Traffic service?
    11-27-2012 03:32 AM
    Eh. We have Navigon and Garmin both of which are superior GPS solutions (actually both are from Garmin - the Garmin app currently does not store maps locally while NAVIGON does).
    11-27-2012 04:07 AM

#NokiaAppledMyMaps
    This sounds like the phone lost the GPS connection and just "guessed" where you are within 500m radius. Did you have a-gps active?

Not too much comments otherwise. I was Symbian3 user and have to say that NokiaMaps/Drive worked pretty much without any problems there. So I assume that if there are some hickups in WP8, those will be patched pretty soon. At least I hope so, because I bougth the Lumia 920.
    11-27-2012 05:31 AM
    This sounds like the phone lost the GPS connection and just "guessed" where you are within 500m radius. Did you have a-gps active? .
    I would agree with you except for the fact that the onscreen map tracked me perfectly. It was the spoken and written instructions that were wrong the whole time.
    12-03-2012 08:54 AM
    Did anyone of you had a text list of the route? It was weird that I could not review the route listing nor the route itself before starting. Not to mention when you use the map to the check the route, there is no "current location" button to get back to where you're at. Anyone confirm this behavior? I was super impressed having the whole Texas map on the phone. The TomTom will have to sit out more I guess.
    12-03-2012 12:50 PM
    Nokia Drive's routing leaves a lot to be desired, it's the worst routing of any navigation device I've ever used. It also doesn't re-route down the current road readily enough. If I decide to take a different route other than the one suggested, it spends the next 15 minutes asking me to make uturns down nonexistent roads, instead of coming up with a new route based on my current path. Even aside from that, the routes it is selecting is roughly equivalent to what was generated by navigation systems 15 years ago... sticking to highways, seemingly oblivious to any faster routes. Sometimes it will even route me in the opposite direction from my destination just to get me on a highway as soon as possible. Their routing strategy doesn't seem to be based on real world travel times, it seems to be instead based on posted road speed limits with weighting towards highways. That routing strategy is outdated.
    12-03-2012 01:02 PM
    Apparently making a kicka** mapping application isn't all that difficult, too bad nobody told MS:

Blackberry 10 Maps

12-04-2012 07:06 PM
    Apparently making a kicka** mapping application isn't all that difficult, too bad nobody told MS:

Blackberry 10 Maps

Did you miss the reference article where they compare, in detail, a half dozen map APIs and find that Bing is the best? And the Bing control is just like the BB one and can load multiple providers' maps (the GMaps app uses it)... so, for those keeping score at home... MS has a map API and BB doesn't, and MS's map control is functionally identical to BBs. Seems to me that MS wins in this case.

-E
    12-04-2012 07:30 PM
    Did you miss the reference article where they compare, in detail, a half dozen map APIs and find that Bing is the best? And the Bing control is just like the BB one and can load multiple providers' maps (the GMaps app uses it)... so, for those keeping score at home... MS has a map API and BB doesn't, and MS's map control is functionally identical to BBs. Seems to me that MS wins in this case.

-E
    Lol he didn't say Bing was the best mapping provider, he said it was the best at using less data when built into an app. Two totally different things.

Pretty sure the title of this thread had the words nokia drive. Before you say "yeah but u said MS bro!" MS makes WP8, nokia drive is on a flagship wp8 phone.
    12-04-2012 09:08 PM
    I have had none of the problems you are talking about. I have used it quite a bit. I even commented to my wife how fast it rerouted us and she was like yeah way faster than google. I have been very impressed with it as I hated google which was inferior to even vz nav.
    12-05-2012 08:51 AM
    and most of all - traffic conditions - any idea when this might be integrated into the actual routing?
    Yeah, for me live traffic is far more important than directions, I know where I"m going most of the time, but knowing when to take an alternate route due to traffic is vital.

I was an iphone user and had Navigon and Waze. Nokia Drive is a joke and should come with a happy meal. The UI is clunky and not intuitive. The maps are not that great and had me going far out of my way. Traffic service?
    I miss Waze on my android to an absurd degree. The live traffic was great, and it found alternate routes better than any other nav I've used.
    12-05-2012 10:02 AM
    Nokia Drive is excellent - works flawless for me!
    12-05-2012 11:02 AM
    Go "settings", "navigation voice", "download new", "English (US) announced street names". There is a male and a female voice.
    Guessing the feature just doesn't work in Canada then :(
    12-06-2012 11:11 AM
72 123