Nokia Drive isn't all that great

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a HD7 prior to my Lumia 810 and I was psyched about Nokia Drive but its not that great compared to Google Navigation. Takes for ever to reroute if you missed a exit, no live traffic and no street name or exit names. All of which Google Nav has, I am quite disappointed in Nokia Drive, it shouldn't be in Beta since it was on the Lumia 800 which came out a year ago.

Last edited:

zokstar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I used it briefly last night for about 5-10min to test. I thought it was actually pretty good! I agree, takes a while to pick up the correct direction you are going, but once it did that, was good.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...

You said that you understand that it's still beta...

...yet you also say that Nokia should have perfected it.

Those two statements don't make sense together.

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm...

You said that you understand that it's still beta...

...yet you also say that Nokia should have perfected it.

Those two statements don't make sense together.

I should of corrected myself, I don't know why its in Beta when they had it on Lumia 800 and it seemed to work flawlessly when people used it.What I meant to say is that it shouldn't be in Beta its been a year since Lumia 800 came out, it should of been perfected my biggest problem with Nokia Drive is no street name or exit name.

jpferguson

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
According to the Nokia website it has been completely re-written for WP8 to take advantage of the new hardware. So, no, it wasn't running on the 800 before. That was a different version. I'm sure once it's complete it'll have the same features as the version that ran on the 800.

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
According to the Nokia website it has been completely re-written for WP8 to take advantage of the new hardware. So, no, it wasn't running on the 800 before. That was a different version. I'm sure once it's complete it'll have the same features as the version that ran on the 800.

I didn't know that prior to today, I wish they would of perfected it before releasing it...Well I guess I'll hold of my complaint about more about it until the official one is out.

wizuriel

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It will announce those. You have to download and set the voice that includes announced street names.

In Canada doesn't say street names either :( (though this is the WP 7 version on my Lumia 710).

Edit: To tell the truth I've been pretty disappointed in a lot of Nokia's apps. I don't understand how here.net can get public transit routes (not as good as Google, but not bad) and display it on a map with the times that the bus arrives at that stop, while the Nokia transit or map app or can't do half of that :S

edit 2: Not sure on Nokia drive, but Nokia maps can show live traffic (though just a guestimated congestion level it seems).

emergenic

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Have to agee, the current Beta release is not fully baked yet...Tried it on a 9hr trip last night between Pennsylvania and Kentucky, and was sorely disappointed.
Slow re-routing, freezes often, and map detail leaves allot to be desired.
Missed MotionX-GPS Drive which was my go-to nav app on the iPhone.
Hopefully Nokia will be able to work out the issues I experienced so far.

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
In Canada doesn't say street names either :( (though this is the WP 7 version on my Lumia 710).

Edit: To tell the truth I've been pretty disappointed in a lot of Nokia's apps. I don't understand how here.net can get public transit routes (not as good as Google, but not bad) and display it on a map with the times that the bus arrives at that stop, while the Nokia transit or map app or can't do half of that :S

edit 2: Not sure on Nokia drive, but Nokia maps can show live traffic (though just a guestimated congestion level it seems).

I agree, was very excited for WP8 and Nokia Apps but have been a so far a bit of a let down.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's not so great, but then neither was Google's turn-by-turn when it first appeared on the market. It got a lot better after 3-4 years, which is what I expect will happen here. In the meantime, if you really need to rely on nav, get a dedicated unit or the Garmin app.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's not so great, but then neither was Google's turn-by-turn when it first appeared on the market. It got a lot better after 3-4 years, which is what I expect will happen here. In the meantime, if you really need to rely on nav, get a dedicated unit or the Garmin app.
Or the navigon app if you'd like to save the maps offline. Drive works ok, I did have it freeze up on me one night.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb