Nokia Drive isn't all that great

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know that prior to today, I wish they would of perfected it before releasing it...Well I guess I'll hold of my complaint about more about it until the official one is out.
Personally I'd rather have a beta than the alternative: No navigation, or (yeah, right) no Windows Phone 8 until Nokia Drive is done.

Well in the US where I am using drive, it announces all streets and exits just fine.
It hasn't for me....... but just downloaded. Didn't know I had to change voice to get that. Thanks.
"Nokia Drive+ Beta" is missing the options of "shortest", "fastest", etc.,route options :(
That's weird.... Was there an update of Nokia Drive that I don't remember installing? I would swear I saw it Monday when I used Drive the first time, but I sure don't see it now.

Have to agee, the current Beta release is not fully baked yet...Tried it on a 9hr trip last night between Pennsylvania and Kentucky, and was sorely disappointed.
Slow re-routing, freezes often, and map detail leaves allot to be desired..
Could the slow re-routing be due to the route length? I've only used it on short trips (my ride to work is 29 miles), and it rerouted faster than my Garmin on the dash (which, admittedly, is 4 years old). Seemed like it rerouted almost instantly.

jfo7404

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
"Nokia Drive+ Beta" is missing the options of "shortest", "fastest", etc.,route options :(

Those options are available. After setting destination there is a screen with a map in the top and the trip info with start button on the bottom. On the bottom of the map there are icons. Click that row of icons to change from fastest to shortest, toll roads etc...

tboggs13

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing about Drive. It was something I was really looking forward to with my new Lumia. First time I tried it, It had no street names. Completely forgot that some nav apps require you to select a voice that uses street names until I read this forum.

Without street names, the voice considers every road split as an exit. When travelling on highways, it would tell me to take the left exit, when my Garmin would have said "continue on". Very confusing with a carload of kids in a new city and lots of exits.

Also, I found it may have problems finding destinations if you are too specific but inaccurate with your destination. Family lives in a suburb of Jacksonville. Couldn't find the address, but Bing maps on my Wife's hd7 did. I even gave it the zip code and it couldn't find it. Finally just gave it the street and zip and it did find it under the actual suburb name. Their search logic needs to be a little more fuzzy. Quite often postal addresses don't match the actual city you live in.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
You're better with a strip map and a compass. I'm glad my land-nav skills are great. I was close to throwing the phone out my car window, without opening the window!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Those options are available. After setting destination there is a screen with a map in the top and the trip info with start button on the bottom. On the bottom of the map there are icons. Click that row of icons to change from fastest to shortest, toll roads etc...

That's it! I KNEW I'd seen it!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Aaaa, they changed it. I liked it better when you could change it in the "navigation options", after you hit "Start". :eck:

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Now that I have the voice that says the street names, I'm quite impressed with Nokia Drive ;)

Maybe next time you will explore the settings more closely before wigging out and lambasting us with your's (and other's) incessant b**ching and whining.

**Apologies, but these whiny posts are getting irksome.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Where was I whining/complaining in this thread?

I think lots of folks are making unnecessary complaints too, but at least know who you are attempting to attack....

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently on the tail end of a family vacation and Nokia Drive has performed flawlessly. My only complaint is I wish you could access your contact list from within the app. Right now, the steps are contact -> maps -> drive, with many small steps included. I know this isn't a limitation of windows phone, as Navigon has this build in. I guess my other complaint would be not having all of Nokia's mapping offerings in one app. Drive, Maps, Transit, City Lens. I'm sure there is a good reason they are split up, but I can't think of it.
Small criticisms though; I'm very happy with Drive.

tboggs13

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
After changing the voice to announce street names, I thought I would use Nokia Drive all the way home from Jachsonville, FL to Fort Worth, TX. Within 30 minutes I had switched back to my Garmin.

I was leaving form a residential area, and Drive got the first turn right, but it didn't announce the street name. I was only two houses from the corner and had noticed this behavior earlier. You will be told the street name every time until you actually are at the turn, then it will just say "turn right" or "turn left".

Then things got worse. There were about 6 turns to make before reaching I-10. After that first turn, it told me my next turn was 600 miles away in Mississippi. Right when I was supposed to be making a left hand turn, it told me to "continue on this course for 596 miles". Ugh, that would have put me in Virginia. It didn't mention any of the other turns I was supposed to make.

Interesting thing was that the map on display was correct, but the next turn indicator at the top of the screen matched the spoken commands.

Luckily my wife had her trusty HD7 handy and used Bing Maps and navigation to get us to I-10, then setup the Garmin.

#NokiaAppledMyMaps

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
After changing the voice to announce street names, I thought I would use Nokia Drive all the way home from Jachsonville, FL to Fort Worth, TX. Within 30 minutes I had switched back to my Garmin.

I was leaving form a residential area, and Drive got the first turn right, but it didn't announce the street name. I was only two houses from the corner and had noticed this behavior earlier. You will be told the street name every time until you actually are at the turn, then it will just say "turn right" or "turn left".

Then things got worse. There were about 6 turns to make before reaching I-10. After that first turn, it told me my next turn was 600 miles away in Mississippi. Right when I was supposed to be making a left hand turn, it told me to "continue on this course for 596 miles". Ugh, that would have put me in Virginia. It didn't mention any of the other turns I was supposed to make.

Interesting thing was that the map on display was correct, but the next turn indicator at the top of the screen matched the spoken commands.

Luckily my wife had her trusty HD7 handy and used Bing Maps and navigation to get us to I-10, then setup the Garmin.

#NokiaAppledMyMaps

I think that the application has the word BETA after Nokia Drive. Does that say anything to you.

fquadri

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been using it for 2 weeks - just saw the english with street names map option - going to test it again.

Now if i can just figure out how to fix the fact that navigation voice is twice as loud as the music im playing... its impossible to use when it blows out your ears everytime it tries to direct you... anyone know how to get the music and navi normalized?

and most of all - traffic conditions - any idea when this might be integrated into the actual routing?

F15 Ranger

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I was an iphone user and had Navigon and Waze. Nokia Drive is a joke and should come with a happy meal. The UI is clunky and not intuitive. The maps are not that great and had me going far out of my way. Traffic service?

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Eh. We have Navigon and Garmin both of which are superior GPS solutions (actually both are from Garmin - the Garmin app currently does not store maps locally while NAVIGON does).

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site

#NokiaAppledMyMaps

This sounds like the phone lost the GPS connection and just "guessed" where you are within 500m radius. Did you have a-gps active?

Not too much comments otherwise. I was Symbian3 user and have to say that NokiaMaps/Drive worked pretty much without any problems there. So I assume that if there are some hickups in WP8, those will be patched pretty soon. At least I hope so, because I bougth the Lumia 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett