Falling in love with WP8; Here are the apps I use (former iPhone 4 user)

awgneo

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I recently bought a Nokia Lumia 920, having been a fairly advanced iPhone user since the 3G. I have to say that I have a new friend in my life. The start screen is such an awesome idea and I enjoy the ways that I can customize it to meet my exact smartphone needs and even my personality. Anyway, after having this phone now for several days, I thought I'd share the apps that I have discovered through trial and error and use daily, coming from the iOS 6 ecosystem. I am happy to say that nearly every feature or application that I enjoyed on iOS 6 has a good OS or application equivalent in Windows Phone 8.

iOS6WP8Notes
FacebookFacebooka little buggy for WP8
KayakKayak
ShopSavvy/RedLaserShopSavvy
FlashlightFlashlight XT"LED Flashlight" is an alternative app, but it seems to crash on WP8; going with Flashlight XT for now
YoutubeMetroTubeThis is pretty awesome! Thanks Tahiti Bob for the heads up :)
FlixterFlixterPanorama control shines here on WP8
WikipediaWikipedia
TuneIn Radio???There was an app for WP7; I hope they bring it back soon as I used this app all the time
PandoraMetroRadioWorks perfectly (better than graffiti); Pandora comes out early next year
Mint???This app is supposed to be in development for WP8; their lack of a mobile website disappoints
Amazon KindleAmazon Kindle
Amazon MobileAmazon Mobile
SoundCloudSoundrivin
eBayeBay
TripItMy TripsAmazing application and much better than the TripIt app; $1.99; Trip Hub is a close second
TouchPadUnifyThis app blows TouchPad away for iOS and has many nice settings; PC Remote is an alternative; $1.99
Google AuthenticatorAuthenticatorThe camera takes a few tries to read a 2D barcode; works perfectly once set up
Bank of AmericaBank of America
PayPalPayPal
GEICOGEICO
AllRecipesAllRecipesAn excellent app for cooking ideas
NetflixNetflixI may, one day, miss the video out capability of the iPhone; hopefully a nice Play To DLNA app comes out soon
Google Maps/Apple MapsNokia Maps/gMapsSo much better
NeweggNewegg
BookmanPDF Reader
Battery LevelThe new version now graphs battery history; excellent app
GroupMeGroupMeI am glad Microsoft bought this company via Skype, haha
Google ChromeChryncA very nice application for viewing all of your Chrome tabs, bookmarks, passwords, etc! This will hold me off until (hopefully) Google releases Chrome for WP8 now that native app development is allowed; try this!
GrouponGrouponThis application is a fine example of pinning
BeejiveIMIM+ Pro
GoTasksMilkmanRemember the milk is a lot better than Google tasks ever will be; get a free account and you can even dock your tasks along GMail with the "Remember The Milk for Gmail" Chrome extension
Nokia TransitExcellent replacement for what used to be Google Maps
PanoramaNokia application; works well
SoundHoundSoundHound
Speedtest.netSpeedTestLoving LTE :)
WeatherWeatherThe MS version works well
YelpYelp
iTunesMediaMonkeyFINALLY I can use the far superior MediaMonkey to directly manage my music

Yes, I have been busy, haha.

Enjoy, and maybe let me know if I am missing something :)
I am still very new to this platform.

Thanks,
awgneo

Last edited:

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
For YouTube you definitely need to check MetroTube. RedLaser also exists in WP8 but I believe these apps' functions are built into Bing so you may not need them (same goes for SoundHound although the humming feature is ace). Finally for Wikipedia I hope you're using the Rudy Huyn one.

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Great post. Try Flashlight-X - I have a 920 and it doesn't crash. There is a free version (ads).

Maybe I should try MetroRadio again. I found Graffiti Radio much better on WP7. Biggest gripe before was that if I paused earlier in the day, MetroRadio would not seemlessly pick up where I left off like Graffiti does.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Damn...I already own the Gold Version of MediaMonkey, but could never get my iDevices to work quite right. Didn't even think of trying MM as the Desktop Sync that MS is supplying is a joke. Will definitely have to try MM now.

Great post by the way!

I'd really like to see some sort of a consolidated thread just for us iPhone switchers - howtos, tips and tricks, Apps etc.

UPDATE - just checked...my version of MediaMonkey was 3.2.5 so I upgraded to the newest 4.0.7 and am indexing files now.

Last edited:

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Glad you're enjoying WP8! I just wanted to give you some suggestions on apps:

YouTube - check out MetroTube and Supertube

Wikipedia - this alternative Wiki app is simply amazing: Wikipedia | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

And lastly, for a 3 pack combo app that's also beautifully designed: check out "627.AM". It's primarly an alarm app, but also has a note/task ability as well as weather. It's an awesome 3 in 1 app!

tarzanmarzan

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
To topic creator:
Welcome! I suggest you also download
Weave trial: excellent news reader
Metrotube: slick windows phone interface of YouTube
Photogram/picture studio/photastic. Photogram is a filter software much like instagram, picture studio is really handy app, and phototastic is wonderful for collages.
Blueprints: hands down the best tumblr client there is!
Rowi: excellent and free twitter client which is imo the best there is. I still miss Carbon but alas its off the marketplace
Windows phone central app just cuz.

I'll post more!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't hold my breath for Chrome -- Google has made no secret of their intent to ensure that Google services don't play well with Windows Phone.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
This is a well thought-out / written post. Shows there isn't as much of a gap in app use for ordinary people as led to believe.

justreason

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Its posts like this from the OP that negates all these other threads about apps and bad reviews.. A happy customer.. Not too many on this board the way negative posts are produced.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
When I was switching from my iP4 to WP8, I found that WP had about 50 of the 55 apps I really needed and lacked maybe another 5 that were nice to haves...

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I installed Media Monkey -> Created a Playlist -> Plugged in my Nokia 920 -> Hit "Sync" and my music was transferred to my device - almost as easy as iTunes (will take a bit to get used to the MM interface and options)

...the only issue I am having is that I can "see" the music files on the Nokia 920 but they are not showing up in the Music + Videos App on the phone...does the phone take time to index the files?

UPDATE - tried powering the phone down and back up...still only seeing a few albums despite being able to see the files on the phone with Windows Explorer. May have to visit the Media Monkey forums.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I installed Media Monkey -> Created a Playlist -> Plugged in my Nokia 920 -> Hit "Sync" and my music was transferred to my device - almost as easy as iTunes (will take a bit to get used to the MM interface and options)

...the only issue I am having is that I can "see" the music files on the Nokia 920 but they are not showing up in the Music + Videos App on the phone...does the phone take time to index the files?
thanks, so it should work. Not for me though. It still doesn't see my Lumia920. It does recognize an external hdd that I've plugged in and offers to sync to that. When I take that off the USB I still do not see the Lumia - strange......

awgneo

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Make sure the d_WMDM plugin is enabled and checked in MediaMonkey. I am using version 4.0.6.1501. I HIGHLY recommend this application and it is well worth the price.

MediaMonkey920.png

Also, I created a device image for MM (set in the device options pane at the bottom) for the 920 :) Enjoy!

NokiaLumia920.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos