04-20-2013 07:11 AM
77 1234
tools
    My guess? They don't care about optimization on WP platform? May be?
    So what's the disconnect here? Android runs on a crazy number of devices with all kinds of hardware configurations. Why are developers finding it so hard to achieve decent performance and low memory usage on Windows Phone 8's two processors? All the 3D games released recently have low frame-rates. Games like this can't even run on 512MB of memory. If the developers can make it run on 256MB elsewhere but restrict it to 1GB here, Microsoft needs to fix the problem. That problem could be Microsoft's tools, it could be bad software development. Either way, this title was obviously chased by Microsoft themselves and they shouldn't have shipped a memory-hogging, non-XBL title.
    03-28-2013 10:17 AM
    So what's the disconnect here? Android runs on a crazy number of devices with all kinds of hardware configurations. Why are developers finding it so hard to achieve decent performance and low memory usage on Windows Phone 8's two processors? All the 3D games released recently have low frame-rates. Games like this can't even run on 512MB of memory. If the developers can make it run on 256MB elsewhere but restrict it to 1GB here, Microsoft needs to fix the problem. That problem could be Microsoft's tools, it could be bad software development. Either way, this title was obviously chased by Microsoft themselves and they shouldn't have shipped a memory-hogging, non-XBL title.
    This title was not chased by Microsoft. WP8 users demanded it. Microsoft has nothing to do with the situation. I don't know about lag on temple run because I have not played it. But you can blame the developer not MS. And the tile bug it's evidence enough at who you should be angry. Microsoft does not ships they run an app store when anyone can publish. About the memory the idea is this. You have 1gb and 720p resolution and you have 512 and wvga resolution. So for the 512 version they should have come up with other assets for the textures and it would have worked. Now let's assume we have models and textures for both resolutions. You now have a game 1.5 times the original size(because you now have textures for lower resolution included in the game). You will have so big a game that people with lower space on their devices may not be convince to get it(incidentally the lower 512 ram devices also have less space). So they should have just put the game(without assets)in the market and then download the assets based on the resolution. But this requires their own servers and bandwidth and some more code. So they ruled against it. So if you want to blame someone blame the developer for trying to work as less as possible for as big a profit as they can.
    03-28-2013 10:38 AM
    And you still think the requirement of a 3rd party application too high is Microsoft's fault? Am I missing something? Or is Temple Run Microsoft game? You guys demand for it. Microsoft told Imagi to make it. Now they make it as you wish? Do you want Microsoft to also ask Imagi to reduce requirement? And beg them to make it XBL title? So spoiled guy :-j
    03-28-2013 12:41 PM
    This title was not chased by Microsoft. WP8 users demanded it. Microsoft has nothing to do with the situation. I don't know about lag on temple run because I have not played it. But you can blame the developer not MS. And the tile bug it's evidence enough at who you should be angry. Microsoft does not ships they run an app store when anyone can publish. About the memory the idea is this. You have 1gb and 720p resolution and you have 512 and wvga resolution. So for the 512 version they should have come up with other assets for the textures and it would have worked. Now let's assume we have models and textures for both resolutions. You now have a game 1.5 times the original size(because you now have textures for lower resolution included in the game). You will have so big a game that people with lower space on their devices may not be convince to get it(incidentally the lower 512 ram devices also have less space). So they should have just put the game(without assets)in the market and then download the assets based on the resolution. But this requires their own servers and bandwidth and some more code. So they ruled against it. So if you want to blame someone blame the developer for trying to work as less as possible for as big a profit as they can.
    lol if u look on the web site u will see that
    movement and directional sensor
    HD720P (720x1280)
    WVGA (480x800)
    WXGA (768x1280)
    all of this resolutions are supported for temple run(here is link Temple Run | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)) and i think microsoft dont ewen care how the game runs they are just happy that they got it out now and microsoft should ask game developers to make a game possible on 512 mb device and obviously they didnt do that that s why i think it is their fault. If they can make it run on iOS with only 256mb then i bet they can make it run on wp8 with 512mb of ram..but microsoft dont care and didnt ask them to do that
    03-28-2013 12:53 PM
    lol if u look on the web site u will see that
    movement and directional sensor
    HD720P (720x1280)
    WVGA (480x800)
    WXGA (768x1280)
    all of this resolutions are supported for temple run(here is link Temple Run | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)) and i think microsoft dont ewen care how the game runs they are just happy that they got it out now and microsoft should ask game developers to make a game possible on 512 mb device and obviously they didnt do that that s why i think it is their fault. If they can make it run on iOS with only 256mb then i bet they can make it run on wp8 with 512mb of ram..but microsoft dont care and didnt ask them to do that
    And you call that's Microsoft's fault because Imagi doesn't care about 512MB RAM devices while they can? Now that funny in the end :D
    Mahdi Ghiasi and despertador like this.
    03-28-2013 03:06 PM
    This title was not chased by Microsoft.
    Is that why Belfiore was able to "preannounce" it? Microsoft obviously chased this title.

And you still think the requirement of a 3rd party application too high is Microsoft's fault?
    Android → no 1GB RAM requirement
    iOS → no 1GB RAM requirement
    Windows Phone → 1GB RAM requirement

Please do the freaking math. There's clearly something wrong with how Windows Phone is dealing with storage and memory. And "spoilt"? I don't even own an Xbox, I could care less about achievements myself.
    03-28-2013 11:08 PM
    Is that why Belfiore was able to "preannounce" it? Microsoft obviously chased this title.

Android → no 1GB RAM requirement
    iOS → no 1GB RAM requirement
    Windows Phone → 1GB RAM requirement

Please do the freaking math. There's clearly something wrong with how Windows Phone is dealing with storage and memory. And "spoilt"? I don't even own an Xbox, I could care less about achievements myself.
    Maths is simple - on dual or single core WP doesn't lag. Everything else lags or needs 4 or 8 cores!
    Mahdi Ghiasi and rbxtreme like this.
    03-28-2013 11:19 PM
    Android runs on a crazy number of devices with all kinds of hardware configurations. Why are developers finding it so hard to achieve decent performance and low memory usage on Windows Phone 8's two processors?
    because Android was released in 2008 and WP8 released in 2012 that is why. it's not matured.
    also the GPU in most WP8 is incredibly underpowered (last-gen) compared to the stuffs that are out now, esp iPhones which have the fastest mobile GPU in a phone.
    also note that most android phones have huge quad core that could maybe do texture decompression on the fly so it doesn't require as much ram

I still don't get why you are blaming Microsoft for developer's issues. Would you blame Apple if Skydrive doesn't work on your iOS device?? no. so why would u blame Microsoft for Temple Run, something they have no control over?
    Mahdi Ghiasi and ChMar like this.
    03-29-2013 12:11 AM
    also the GPU in most WP8 is incredibly underpowered (last-gen) compared to the stuffs that are out now, esp iPhones which have the fastest mobile GPU in a phone.
    Temple Run can run on crappy Android devices that have worse processors than the MSM8227. These mobile GPUs do not have some crazy effect on RAM.

I still don't get why you are blaming Microsoft for developer's issues. Would you blame Apple if Skydrive doesn't work on your iOS device?? no. so why would u blame Microsoft for Temple Run, something they have no control over?
    I'm sorry, are you aware that the performance and incompatibility problems are not restricted to Temple Run? It's happened with just about every 3D game released over the past few months. WP8 has proven to be a disaster for games, when we initially thought native code and support for engines like Unity was going to turn the tide.

Oh, and just in: a streaming radio app I used to use, TuneIn, just lifted its requirement to 1GB of RAM. Can you seriously not see that there is something wrong here?

Maths is simple - on dual or single core WP doesn't lag. Everything else lags or needs 4 or 8 cores!
    And if Microsoft needs to reserve quite a lot of memory to maintain a lag-free environment, it should have mandated 1GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, heck, even subsidised it on cheaper handsets like the 8S, 520, 620, etc.
    03-29-2013 09:22 PM
    You are God😊. I love your formula. Lol.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    03-29-2013 10:03 PM
    Temple Run can run on crappy Android devices that have worse processors than the MSM8227. These mobile GPUs do not have some crazy effect on RAM.

I'm sorry, are you aware that the performance and incompatibility problems are not restricted to Temple Run? It's happened with just about every 3D game released over the past few months. WP8 has proven to be a disaster for games, when we initially thought native code and support for engines like Unity was going to turn the tide.

Oh, and just in: a streaming radio app I used to use, TuneIn, just lifted its requirement to 1GB of RAM. Can you seriously not see that there is something wrong here?

And if Microsoft needs to reserve quite a lot of memory to maintain a lag-free environment, it should have mandated 1GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, heck, even subsidised it on cheaper handsets like the 8S, 520, 620, etc.
    Lets deal with the real,thing. Someone mentioned WP 8 launched 2012. Now WP8 SDK made online Late October 2012, companies start decide to start building apps, they bring in new folks to develop for Wp8. And so lets assume Jan '13 to be when the developers get their engines running. So we just three months away and we are seeing momentum on a 6 month old OS. Appreciate that first(MS/devs).

Now about the 512 vs 1gb saga, if you read through what the wp8 SDK has to offer(support to both 1gb and 512mb ram) you will learn that its the companies,who really want to get their apps up,and running for the flagships launched way before the 512's. So for a 620 launched month back give it a month or two.

Also if I recollect, unity engine support was,just mentioned a week back, so lets be patient.App/game Development is an art, and if the painting turned out not so good,blame to artist.

Feed the big fish first(jk).
    despertador likes this.
    03-29-2013 10:19 PM
    I don't see where the problem relies with MS. Unity is a middleware and they stated that they do not have a mature solution for WP8. I'm sure that common sense tells you that if you halve the resolution you halve the memory consumption. So you can halve the texture sizes and make the game run for wp8 devices with 512 ram. So it is fair to assume that it's a matter of development costs and in time a 512mb version will arrive.

Don't blame MS that a streaming app(tunein) requires 1gb devices. There are a lot of other streaming apps that do not need this. Clearly it can be done on 512 devices. Heck it runs on wp7 devices with less ram. So again shift your blame where it should be oriented.

Don't blame MS that whatsup use an ugly hack (background audio streaming to support fast resume) blame whatsapp. There are a lot of other im apps that proved it can be done so again the OS is not at fault here.

If MS would mandate 1gb ram(high end at the time wp8 was conceived on paper) you won't get cheap phones and oems need cheap devices. Again don't blame MS that is profitable for OEMs to make cheaper devices.
    despertador likes this.
    03-29-2013 10:27 PM
    Like others mentioned, it's not MS's fault that those apps don't work on those devices. There are plenty of awesome apps that support 512 MBs perfectly. Why didn't imagi optimize it? Because they didn't feel like it.
    Feel_IT likes this.
    03-29-2013 10:45 PM
    i'm glad to see WP has a lot of enlightened users!
    yeps that's pretty much it, MS has nothing to do with the fact developers didn't make 512Mb version for certain apps or if they use dirty tricks on others (whatsapp)...their part was making the apps policy for devs to follow, aside from that MS has nothing to do with devs decisions!

and why would Nokia stop making cheap devices to reach a bigger market just because of it? when you're buying a 512Mb budget device you know it wont run everything - and you're a fool to expect so!
    if you want a device that runs EVERYTHING save some more money and buy a high-end!
    rbxtreme likes this.
    03-29-2013 11:01 PM
    Lol
    like others mentioned, it's not ms's fault that those apps don't work on those devices. There are plenty of awesome apps that support 512 mbs perfectly. Why didn't imagi optimize it? Because they didn't feel like it.
    03-29-2013 11:06 PM
    I don't see a problem either... The game sucks. Played it for 2 minutes then 'Uninstall'.
    The RAM problem doesn't matter, it's a yawn fest!!!!
    03-29-2013 11:09 PM
    it is fair to assume that it's a matter of development costs
    It is fair to assume that AAA mobile developers, some of which are XBL-branded, who likely got early access to the Windows Phone SDK, were unable to optimise their games for a standardised platform after over half a year. Right.

Don't blame MS that a streaming app(tunein) requires 1gb devices. There are a lot of other streaming apps that do not need this. Clearly it can be done on 512 devices. Heck it runs on wp7 devices with less ram.
    So TuneIn can manage on 512 (maybe even 256?) for WP7 but can't for WP8? And that somehow means "don't blame Microsoft"?

Don't blame MS that whatsup use an ugly hack (background audio streaming to support fast resume) blame whatsapp.
    Actually, that's Microsoft's fault because they didn't support persistent WiFi until Portico. That means not all WP8, and zero WP7 devices.

If MS would mandate 1gb ram(high end at the time wp8 was conceived on paper) you won't get cheap phones and oems need cheap devices.
    If you bothered to read what I said, you wouldn't have had to write this.

Sorry, but your excuses have little merit.
    03-30-2013 02:10 AM
    It is fair to assume that AAA mobile developers, some of which are XBL-branded, who likely got early access to the Windows Phone SDK, were unable to optimise their games for a standardised platform after over half a year. Right.

So TuneIn can manage on 512 (maybe even 256?) for WP7 but can't for WP8? And that somehow means "don't blame Microsoft"?

Actually, that's Microsoft's fault because they didn't support persistent WiFi until Portico. That means not all WP8, and zero WP7 devices.

If you bothered to read what I said, you wouldn't have had to write this.

Sorry, but your excuses have little merit.
    you sound butthurt lol blaming MS and sh1t...go play Temple Run 2 on a cheap 512Mb Android and tell me how smooth, lag-free it is...i know because i owned one before my Lumia and it got me mad many times when the game was unresponsive!

anyways i don't miss the game and MS shouldn't be blamed for 3rd party developers mistakes...or what do you want them to do about it?
    03-30-2013 02:35 AM
    holy crap guys. seriously. Temple Run came to us on WP literally 2 days ago. Give it time, they figured it would be better to get it out so consumers know that developers are serious and want to provide more to a growing platform. Temple Run had issues when it first released on iOS and Android too. Not to mention, although it is native code and Unity Support is apparent, developers are still new to the platform. Give it time, performance plagued games like Amazing Spiderman, Dark Knight Rises and Temple Run will get patched and optimized and it'll be then that 512MB RAM devices will see a version for them, and a version that will be released with little teething issues that were learnt with 1Gb ram devices. Chill guys, WP8 ftw. :)
    farukdgn likes this.
    03-30-2013 02:45 AM
    Unity support is still in Beta. There are still bugs and there hasn't been much optimization yet.
    03-30-2013 02:47 AM
    you sound butthurt lol blaming MS and sh1t...go play Temple Run 2 on a cheap 512Mb Android and tell me how smooth, lag-free it is...i know because i owned one before my Lumia and it got me mad many times when the game was unresponsive!
    1. Butthurt? I think butthurt describes the Microsoft defenders here who can't take any criticism. LOLing isn't going to get this platform anywhere.
    2. What device did you have? I don't see why TR2, if properly optimised, would perform badly with a MSM8227 and 512MB RAM.
      Anyhow, by comparison - TR2 isn't even on WP, TR won't run on 512MB WPs, and TR lags on WP flagships.
    3. The 720 has 512MB of RAM and is priced in the same ballpark as the Nexus 4.
    aniym likes this.
    03-30-2013 03:39 AM
    1. Butthurt? I think butthurt describes the Microsoft defenders here who can't take any criticism. LOLing isn't going to get this platform anywhere.
    2. Temple Run 2 will run decently on an Android with a MSM8227 and 512MB RAM. TR2 isn't even on WP, TR won't run on 512MB WPs, and TR lags on WP flagships.
    3. The 720 has 512MB of RAM and is priced in the same ballpark as the Nexus 4.
    i couldn't care less about that stupid game lol
    and again, Temple Run matter should be addressed to Imangi Studios and not MS...it's not the game can't run on 512Mb WPs, it's just the devs who didn't bother...yet! and the game was launched like...3 days ago, felt like a rushed port full of bugs! give the devs time to fix it!

Gravity Guy 2 runs perfectly on my Lumia 620 and it has better graphics than TR so this is really a developer thing...

srsly tho...what you think MS could do about this matter?

edit: i had a Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini running ICS
    03-30-2013 03:51 AM
    i couldn't care less about that stupid game lol
    Personally, I couldn't either. I think TR is about the stupidest game I've ever seen. The problem is others don't agree with us. I would say that the 520 & 620 are really the devices that can bring Windows Phone to the masses, but even though I see them to be crazily good value, others could be turned off by all these incompatibilities. It's like you're getting half a Windows Phone instead of a full one.

Gravity Guy 2 runs perfectly on my Lumia 620 and it has better graphics than TR so this is really a developer thing...
    GG2 is 2D, so they don't quite compare. I like 2D graphics a lot too, but 3D is more hardware intensive and you can't ignore that. Hope you're liking the 620, was so close to pulling the trigger then the 520 got announced.

srsly tho...what you think MS could do about this matter?
    I don't know the specifics myself, but I do know Microsoft imposes some kind of RAM limit on apps depending on how much RAM the devices have. That limit is a pretty hard one in the case of 256MB WP7 devices, which is why there were problems with some Angry Birds games. I don't think people are doing a tonne of multitasking while running a game, they should allow games to use more RAM and free up more RAM by unloading frozen apps. Either that, or do whatever Apple is doing, because there aren't many incompatibilities on iOS devices and they remain smooth.

edit: i had a Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini running ICS
    2011 device running what I believe is the same processor in Mango handsets (Lumia 800, for example), which is a rather bad reference point. Remember that WP7 devices aren't even getting these titles. Not saying Android doesn't lag, but you must also realise that ordinary people will put up with lag, as long as they can at least get what they want.
    03-30-2013 04:40 AM
    Personally, I couldn't either. I think TR is about the stupidest game I've ever seen. The problem is others don't agree with us. I would say that the 520 & 620 are really the devices that can bring Windows Phone to the masses, but even though I see them to be crazily good value, others could be turned off by all these incompatibilities. It's like you're getting half a Windows Phone instead of a full one.

GG2 is 2D, so they don't quite compare. I like 2D graphics a lot too, but 3D is more hardware intensive and you can't ignore that. Hope you're liking the 620, was so close to pulling the trigger then the 520 got announced.

I don't know the specifics myself, but I do know Microsoft imposes some kind of RAM limit on apps depending on how much RAM the devices have. That limit is a pretty hard one in the case of 256MB WP7 devices, which is why there were problems with some Angry Birds games. I don't think people are doing a tonne of multitasking while running a game, they should allow games to use more RAM and free up more RAM by unloading frozen apps. Either that, or do whatever Apple is doing, because there aren't many incompatibilities on iOS devices and they remain smooth.

2011 device running what I believe is the same processor in Mango handsets (Lumia 800, for example), which is a rather bad reference point. Remember that WP7 devices aren't even getting these titles. Not saying Android doesn't lag, but you must also realise that ordinary people will put up with lag, as long as they can at least get what they want.
    well pplz got their buggy TR to QQ about XD better than not having it i guess lol

yes, Lumias 520 & 620 are rly important for both Nokia and MS since they are like the entrance doors for WP, the devices many newcomers can afford to try the OS and also rly significant to emerging markets...i just wish consumers would research more about what they are buying and then deciding if they want to take the risk or not!

that's what i did, many research on what new smartphone to buy and i also knew a 512Mb would have some heavy game restrictions but i'm ok with that since i don't play more than casual games once in a while...i believe buyers should know how to make this decisions!
    03-30-2013 05:07 AM

Still want to blame Microsoft all the way eh? Go read SDK of Windows phone 8 and see if they can create 512MB or just 1GB apps?
    About 3D games? If only TR has the graphic as good as Asphalt 7 and I'll admit that TR deserves 1GB of RAM. Rather than that? Well, then Imangi devs are just too lazy to optimize it. End of story.

So why didn't I blame Microsoft? Cause I know the simple truth that I can't complain OS maker for other developer's apps. Isn't it simple enough?

P.S: don't ask why 3D in TR requires too much, or I'll ask you why games with better 3D IMO like "dredd vs zombies" or "mirror's edge" can run smoothly on 512MB devices. Even Asphalt 5 (which is at least 3 times better graphic than this crappy TR) can run on 620.
    Last edited by Dratwister; 03-30-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    ChMar and rbxtreme like this.
    03-30-2013 01:26 PM
77 1234