Okay, where is my temple run?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't see a problem either... The game sucks. Played it for 2 minutes then 'Uninstall'.
The RAM problem doesn't matter, it's a yawn fest!!!!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
it is fair to assume that it's a matter of development costs
It is fair to assume that AAA mobile developers, some of which are XBL-branded, who likely got early access to the Windows Phone SDK, were unable to optimise their games for a standardised platform after over half a year. Right.

Don't blame MS that a streaming app(tunein) requires 1gb devices. There are a lot of other streaming apps that do not need this. Clearly it can be done on 512 devices. Heck it runs on wp7 devices with less ram.
So TuneIn can manage on 512 (maybe even 256?) for WP7 but can't for WP8? And that somehow means "don't blame Microsoft"?

Don't blame MS that whatsup use an ugly hack (background audio streaming to support fast resume) blame whatsapp.
Actually, that's Microsoft's fault because they didn't support persistent WiFi until Portico. That means not all WP8, and zero WP7 devices.

If MS would mandate 1gb ram(high end at the time wp8 was conceived on paper) you won't get cheap phones and oems need cheap devices.
If you bothered to read what I said, you wouldn't have had to write this.

Sorry, but your excuses have little merit.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
It is fair to assume that AAA mobile developers, some of which are XBL-branded, who likely got early access to the Windows Phone SDK, were unable to optimise their games for a standardised platform after over half a year. Right.

So TuneIn can manage on 512 (maybe even 256?) for WP7 but can't for WP8? And that somehow means "don't blame Microsoft"?

Actually, that's Microsoft's fault because they didn't support persistent WiFi until Portico. That means not all WP8, and zero WP7 devices.

If you bothered to read what I said, you wouldn't have had to write this.

Sorry, but your excuses have little merit.

you sound butthurt lol blaming MS and sh1t...go play Temple Run 2 on a cheap 512Mb Android and tell me how smooth, lag-free it is...i know because i owned one before my Lumia and it got me mad many times when the game was unresponsive!

anyways i don't miss the game and MS shouldn't be blamed for 3rd party developers mistakes...or what do you want them to do about it?

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
holy crap guys. seriously. Temple Run came to us on WP literally 2 days ago. Give it time, they figured it would be better to get it out so consumers know that developers are serious and want to provide more to a growing platform. Temple Run had issues when it first released on iOS and Android too. Not to mention, although it is native code and Unity Support is apparent, developers are still new to the platform. Give it time, performance plagued games like Amazing Spiderman, Dark Knight Rises and Temple Run will get patched and optimized and it'll be then that 512MB RAM devices will see a version for them, and a version that will be released with little teething issues that were learnt with 1Gb ram devices. Chill guys, WP8 ftw. :)

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
you sound butthurt lol blaming MS and sh1t...go play Temple Run 2 on a cheap 512Mb Android and tell me how smooth, lag-free it is...i know because i owned one before my Lumia and it got me mad many times when the game was unresponsive!

1. Butthurt? I think butthurt describes the Microsoft defenders here who can't take any criticism. LOLing isn't going to get this platform anywhere.
  2. What device did you have? I don't see why TR2, if properly optimised, would perform badly with a MSM8227 and 512MB RAM.
    Anyhow, by comparison - TR2 isn't even on WP, TR won't run on 512MB WPs, and TR lags on WP flagships.
  3. The 720 has 512MB of RAM and is priced in the same ballpark as the Nexus 4.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
1. Butthurt? I think butthurt describes the Microsoft defenders here who can't take any criticism. LOLing isn't going to get this platform anywhere.
2. Temple Run 2 will run decently on an Android with a MSM8227 and 512MB RAM. TR2 isn't even on WP, TR won't run on 512MB WPs, and TR lags on WP flagships.
3. The 720 has 512MB of RAM and is priced in the same ballpark as the Nexus 4.

i couldn't care less about that stupid game lol
and again, Temple Run matter should be addressed to Imangi Studios and not MS...it's not the game can't run on 512Mb WPs, it's just the devs who didn't bother...yet! and the game was launched like...3 days ago, felt like a rushed port full of bugs! give the devs time to fix it!

Gravity Guy 2 runs perfectly on my Lumia 620 and it has better graphics than TR so this is really a developer thing...

srsly tho...what you think MS could do about this matter?

edit: i had a Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini running ICS

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
i couldn't care less about that stupid game lol
Personally, I couldn't either. I think TR is about the stupidest game I've ever seen. The problem is others don't agree with us. I would say that the 520 & 620 are really the devices that can bring Windows Phone to the masses, but even though I see them to be crazily good value, others could be turned off by all these incompatibilities. It's like you're getting half a Windows Phone instead of a full one.

Gravity Guy 2 runs perfectly on my Lumia 620 and it has better graphics than TR so this is really a developer thing...
GG2 is 2D, so they don't quite compare. I like 2D graphics a lot too, but 3D is more hardware intensive and you can't ignore that. Hope you're liking the 620, was so close to pulling the trigger then the 520 got announced.

srsly tho...what you think MS could do about this matter?
I don't know the specifics myself, but I do know Microsoft imposes some kind of RAM limit on apps depending on how much RAM the devices have. That limit is a pretty hard one in the case of 256MB WP7 devices, which is why there were problems with some Angry Birds games. I don't think people are doing a tonne of multitasking while running a game, they should allow games to use more RAM and free up more RAM by unloading frozen apps. Either that, or do whatever Apple is doing, because there aren't many incompatibilities on iOS devices and they remain smooth.

edit: i had a Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini running ICS
2011 device running what I believe is the same processor in Mango handsets (Lumia 800, for example), which is a rather bad reference point. Remember that WP7 devices aren't even getting these titles. Not saying Android doesn't lag, but you must also realise that ordinary people will put up with lag, as long as they can at least get what they want.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I couldn't either. I think TR is about the stupidest game I've ever seen. The problem is others don't agree with us. I would say that the 520 & 620 are really the devices that can bring Windows Phone to the masses, but even though I see them to be crazily good value, others could be turned off by all these incompatibilities. It's like you're getting half a Windows Phone instead of a full one.

GG2 is 2D, so they don't quite compare. I like 2D graphics a lot too, but 3D is more hardware intensive and you can't ignore that. Hope you're liking the 620, was so close to pulling the trigger then the 520 got announced.

I don't know the specifics myself, but I do know Microsoft imposes some kind of RAM limit on apps depending on how much RAM the devices have. That limit is a pretty hard one in the case of 256MB WP7 devices, which is why there were problems with some Angry Birds games. I don't think people are doing a tonne of multitasking while running a game, they should allow games to use more RAM and free up more RAM by unloading frozen apps. Either that, or do whatever Apple is doing, because there aren't many incompatibilities on iOS devices and they remain smooth.

2011 device running what I believe is the same processor in Mango handsets (Lumia 800, for example), which is a rather bad reference point. Remember that WP7 devices aren't even getting these titles. Not saying Android doesn't lag, but you must also realise that ordinary people will put up with lag, as long as they can at least get what they want.

well pplz got their buggy TR to QQ about XD better than not having it i guess lol

yes, Lumias 520 & 620 are rly important for both Nokia and MS since they are like the entrance doors for WP, the devices many newcomers can afford to try the OS and also rly significant to emerging markets...i just wish consumers would research more about what they are buying and then deciding if they want to take the risk or not!

that's what i did, many research on what new smartphone to buy and i also knew a 512Mb would have some heavy game restrictions but i'm ok with that since i don't play more than casual games once in a while...i believe buyers should know how to make this decisions!

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

Still want to blame Microsoft all the way eh? Go read SDK of Windows phone 8 and see if they can create 512MB or just 1GB apps?
About 3D games? If only TR has the graphic as good as Asphalt 7 and I'll admit that TR deserves 1GB of RAM. Rather than that? Well, then Imangi devs are just too lazy to optimize it. End of story.

So why didn't I blame Microsoft? Cause I know the simple truth that I can't complain OS maker for other developer's apps. Isn't it simple enough?

P.S: don't ask why 3D in TR requires too much, or I'll ask you why games with better 3D IMO like "dredd vs zombies" or "mirror's edge" can run smoothly on 512MB devices. Even Asphalt 5 (which is at least 3 times better graphic than this crappy TR) can run on 620.

Last edited:

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Temple run is an old f@rt from imangi and its worthless about wasting time as to why it fails to deliver on wp8. As said by a lot of people earlier it was a rushed port and I don't think we need to push the devs hard to optimize it for 620's instead hope we get TR2 and the new apps onto wp8. And most importantly its the OS, what makes me proud of my 920. Imagine if they had android on this.....i would be playing temple run 2,but dealing with my force closes too.

Android in its way is good , but then if I get the statistics right 1 of 7 apps is a spyware, so its totally left to the individual to decide what they want . Its just about choices and the $$$ you got.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Still want to blame Microsoft all the way eh? Go read SDK of Windows phone 8 and see if they can create 512MB or just 1GB apps?
About 3D games? If only TR has the graphic as good as Asphalt 7 and I'll admit that TR deserves 1GB of RAM. Rather than that? Well, then Imangi devs are just too lazy to optimize it. End of story.

So why didn't I blame Microsoft? Cause I know the simple truth that I can't complain OS maker for other developer's apps. Isn't it simple enough?

P.S: don't ask why 3D in TR requires too much, or I'll ask you why games with better 3D IMO like "dredd vs zombies" or "mirror's edge" can run smoothly on 512MB devices. Even Asphalt 5 (which is at least 3 times better graphic than this crappy TR) can run on 620.
The fanboyism is killing me.

1. So I take it you've "read" the SDK and deduced that the 512MB restrictions are perfectly fine? If not, why vehemently defend Microsoft?
  2. TR isn't the only game requiring 1GB of RAM. There are apps requiring it. How many times must this be said until it gets into your head?
  3. Asphalt 7 doesn't "deserve" 1GB of RAM. The 920 has to display over 2.5? the pixels that a WVGA, 512MB device has to. There shouldn't be a problem.
  4. Yes, multiple developers (some even XBL) are just too lazy to optimise. Developers who could optimise for a bajillion configurations on Android can't support WP8's two. Considering how important these titles are for the platform's viability, I can fault Microsoft on two things:
    a) a potentially crappy porting experience
    b) a pathetic job of getting these titles working well on their platform
  5. Do you not understand that the tools, restrictions and environment provided for development can impact the development itself?
  6. Mirror's Edge and Asphalt 5 look like garbage, lying doesn't prove a point.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
  1. So I take it you've "read" the SDK and deduced that the 512MB restrictions are perfectly fine? If not, why vehemently defend Microsoft?
  2. TR isn't the only game requiring 1GB of RAM. There are apps requiring it. How many times must this be said until it gets into your head?
  3. Asphalt 7 doesn't "deserve" 1GB of RAM. The 920 has to display over 2.5? the pixels that a WVGA, 512MB device has to. There shouldn't be a problem.
  4. Yes, multiple developers (some even XBL) are just too lazy to optimise. Developers who could optimise for a bajillion configurations on Android can't support WP8's two. Considering how important these titles are for the platform's viability, I can fault Microsoft on two things:
  5. Do you not understand that the tools, restrictions and environment provided for development can impact the development itself?

No one should be expected to read the SDK docs. But they do prove that it's not OS fault but 3rd party developer. All those apps and games having those requirements only shows 1 thing. The lack of professionals developers for wp8 and the fact that for business is the 3rd os they consider. And this is nothing new but the only way to change that is by punishing them if they don't rectify the injustice. And in case of apps this is inexcusable I mean I can understand that for games you are dealing with weaker GPUs in low end devices and the game may already lag and you are out of time and budget but for apps is completely inexcusable.
You are right about the 2.5 pixel difference in memory consumption. That also means the texture sizes can be halved so you get lower memory consumption.
The laziness to optimize will continue until people use the review option to change this. Over 80% of software projects ends taking more time or money than the intended budget so from budget consideration I can understand 3rd party laziness at this stage I just hope it won't become chronic like android landscape.
But MS has no control in the porting experience no control at all. MS is not the second Nazi empire to be able to control what others are building for wp8. And they do not port or make other people software run bad or good.
Believe it or not the development tools are great the restrictions for the memory abuse are not from MS but were chosen by the independent developer.

PS: I hope I'm dead wrong because if history proves me right I'll have to live the rest of my life under a rock but there are a couple of settings about memory caps on sdk. One is mandatory(the 1GB restrictions from games and tuneit) and another one is a hint that relaxes memory for foreground apps but do not force the app to only run on 1GB environment. I won't talk about the game cases but if in the case of tuneit it is proven that some dev misunderstood what those memory caps means I'll truly go leave under a rock

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
This is a something which makes sense. I haven't written this but taken it from another active thread which I'm a part of...Thank the author for this!!

"The 1GB RAM requirement for some games on WP8 is basically the same situation for those who bought a low-end device with 256MB of RAM back in the WP7 days: the actual available amount of RAM in a given device is a margin smaller than described, due to the OS partition already using RAM at startup and while the device is running. Plus, Windows Phone limits how much RAM any given application/game can use to avoid any conflicts with other apps and to keep the operating system from crashing. (This is similar to the situation for iOS, but with a few differences)

Android on the other hand needs very high-end specs and large amounts of RAM because the OS has no present RAM usage limit on apps, which basically explains why many android users complain about their low-tier, mid-tier, even high-end smartphones being laggy, unresponsive, and any other affiliated problems.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Android on the other hand needs very high-end specs and large amounts of RAM because the OS has no present RAM usage limit on apps, which basically explains why many android users complain about their low-tier, mid-tier, even high-end smartphones being laggy, unresponsive, and any other affiliated problems.

Android also has RAM limits. Once upon a time that limit was 16MB(heap size not all memory for an app so the size of the code in memory does not count) :). The only mobile OS that you won't know what the memory limits are is iOS. It will kill your app if you ask for too much memory but you do not have a upper margin there(though you can ask the os how much memory is still free).

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
How is apple able to manage to run apps SMOOTHLY on 256 mb ram devices ? That's what wondering me.

There has to be some sort of magic lol

There is no magic there. The iOS is the oldest os there. It also uses mostly the same code languages and tools as the MacOSX (excluding strictly mobile stuff of course). So they did have access to a trained pool of developers at the beginning. And taking in to account it's popularity and age you will find a lot more proficient programmers there than on other ecosystem. And when you come to optimizations and quirks you do need the experience and the skill. Android really become a focus for development in recent years and you could find some horror story about development on android and how facebook needed to hack the guts of the Dalvik java machine to make the native facebook apps for all android devices. WP8 is completely new and while you use mostly the same tools as wp7(except games where you now have DirectX and not XNA anymore) when it comes to optimizations and os internals it's different. Also this time around you don't have the pool of trained wp8 programmers yet. To get those you need to look to windows 8 developers who are scares too. The windows developers are working for line of business apps who are paid pretty good to not need look for a career in mobile development on a 5 month platform.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
There is no magic there. The iOS is the oldest os there. It also uses mostly the same code languages and tools as the MacOSX (excluding strictly mobile stuff of course). So they did have access to a trained pool of developers at the beginning. And taking in to account it's popularity and age you will find a lot more proficient programmers there than on other ecosystem. And when you come to optimizations and quirks you do need the experience and the skill. Android really become a focus for development in recent years and you could find some horror story about development on android and how facebook needed to hack the guts of the Dalvik java machine to make the native facebook apps for all android devices. WP8 is completely new and while you use mostly the same tools as wp7(except games where you now have DirectX and not XNA anymore) when it comes to optimizations and os internals it's different. Also this time around you don't have the pool of trained wp8 programmers yet. To get those you need to look to windows 8 developers who are scares too. The windows developers are working for line of business apps who are paid pretty good to not need look for a career in mobile development on a 5 month platform.

Thanks , that also explains iPad's success in apps and Android's issues

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
[TITLE][/TITLE]
The fanboyism is killing me.

6. Mirror's Edge and Asphalt 5 look like garbage, lying doesn't prove a point.

I'm not ****** of Microsoft, just FYI :). I only being a Nokia ******. I just simply a casual dev and know what I have to do just to get something in its optimization. And what I have to decide between rapid deploy apps to store and slowly optimize apps first, which would lead my app to initial failure to customers. Is it simple enough for you now?

How many times I have to say it again (and other people on here have to say it) to you about the requirement of 3rd party apps have absolutely no responsibility, by any mean, from Microsoft? I don't know if you've got too much into iOS platform or crappy performance of Android. Put let's put this to something you can find it easier just to understand: Well, do you expect a low end PC run some games like Crysis? No! Now would you complain Microsoft because of that? Cause your PC can handle the OS with hardware just above OS requirement does not mean other developers have to create games just base on it.

Ok, now back to your "mindful" question: But those apps don't deserve that much requirement, cause that app is too simple or this game has too crappy graphic... Well duh, WHY DON'T YOU GO AND ASK ITS DEVELOPERS BEFORE PUTTING YOUR NONSENSE COMPLAINTS TO MICROSOFT?

I'm sorry but I still lost you at your Microsoft's fault point while you admitted that is due to laziness of some developers.Microsoft asked them to create apps/games cause guys demand it, Microsoft offered Sdk so developers can do it, Microsoft approve apps to store so people can get it. Do you expect Microsoft to step even into its development process to teach them to reduce their requirements? Or Microsoft have to optimize it by themselves? Or you truly want Microsoft to put a requirement cap to their apps store?? Or Microsoft have to disapprove the apps because "it requires too much while it shouldn't"?? Do you see any of above make any sense?

Again, I know the restrictions (which is in fact, mainly because our lack of knowledge how to do it) of dev tools can create difficulties in development process. And that's why we need to learn to get over it. Or are you a genius to know everything and can create an app at its best by its first release after just 3 months at best of learning and get used to new platform? Not to mention "porting" app will never be as good as native apps.

About your last statement, I assume that by your opinion, mirror's edge and asphalt 5 have worse graphic than this crappy Temple Run? Ok, but how worse? Does it justify the 1GB which you've asked in the beginning? That's for your answer, cause in my opinion, the rendering, textures, structures of models in those games are pricier than this TR. What's in this TR anyway? If you have your answer then go back and ASK Imangi about this "wonder"

P.S: know what? You reminded me the time when I have to argue with some crazy iSheep. Man, those guys are really something, really hard to know how can they think like that. You said that there aren't only TR but other apps require 1GB ram, Well, I can list you a thousand of other apps that require 512MB of Ram, so what's your excuse? Those developers are genius or using some tricks eh?

P.S.S: the complaintism is killing me.

P.S.S.S: why iOS apps run on 256mb ram? First, different platform. Then, would you think Apple will allow apps which surpass their devices' power on their store? While their devices have identical hardware? And with their dev's loyalty till now?

P.S.S.S.S: Now that's a long post =)) but anw, I think you won't accept anything in it at all, with all of your presume, everyone's comments won't have any chance to change your mind and your direction of blaming at all. you will still think it's all Microsoft's faults :). Well good luck with it, cause us customers really need that. To blame OS maker for 3rd party apps faults while others just come and complaint to its developers and demand them to justify it. May be, just may be, there are anyone with higher post number than you go here and explain everything again, you might get it on the end.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Ah well, this is hardly worth the effort. Just a little excerpt:

why iOS apps run on 256mb ram? First, different platform. Then, would you think Apple will allow apps which surpass their devices' power on their store? While their devices have identical hardware?
  1. You're saying Microsoft's platform is inferior at dealing with RAM?
  2. So, Apple is better at properly curating apps while Microsoft is letting crap in?
  3. WP8 somehow isn't standardised in hardware while four iPhone models is?
And this somehow equates to Microsoft being an innocent puppy that I'm crucifying or something?

Just a note, if you read my comments without prejudice you'd have seen that I never said this is solely Microsoft's fault. But wake up, they are losing the battle of relevance and the future. You think Imangi really gives a crap whether WP takes off or not? Nope. The ball is in Microsoft's hands and they have played a terrible game so far.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb