Okay, where is my temple run?

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Ah well, this is hardly worth the effort. Just a little excerpt:

1. You're saying Microsoft's platform is inferior at dealing with RAM?
  2. So, Apple is better at properly curating apps while Microsoft is letting crap in?
  3. WP8 somehow isn't standardised in hardware while four iPhone models is?
And this somehow equates to Microsoft being an innocent puppy that I'm crucifying or something?

Just a note, if you read my comments without prejudice you'd have seen that I never said this is solely Microsoft's fault. But wake up, they are losing the battle of relevance and the future. You think Imangi really gives a crap whether WP takes off or not? Nope. The ball is in Microsoft's hands and they have played a terrible game so far.

wrong, I just said that someone's been comparing between a mature platform which already having support from many developers which already learned and knew throughout their platform and how to optimized it, while the windows phone? I think you already figured out the vice versa situation. Now is it clear? The platform's young, the support from developers just arrived. What else do you want Microsoft to do? It's mainly lie on developers' side, ok?

That's their responsibility to enhance their own app, that's their fault to not look at windows phone as their serious business platform. That's their decision to make a crappy port with crappy graphic and a utter crappy requirement. End of story again :).

And what we should do? Go and tell them, the developers, that we feel disappointed about their focus on windows phone platform, and we demand a clear answer about yes or no app on windows phone platform. Not a crappy one just to be there and nothing more. Now look back to what you did? Did you do anything to remind Imangi about their responsibility of making proper apps? Or you just sit down and blame Microsoft then wait for their action to Imangi? On this forum? We are customers of their app, and Microsoft provided them and us a platform to work on. If you still don't get it then you can feel free and choose another platform, may be in there you can blame Apple or Google for another 3rd party apps which having crappy performance or kill tasks at demand.

Just show them why should they focus on this platform, just like what we did to ever note .

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Now that even Asphalt 7 reduce its both size and requirements to 512MB, do you change your mind now? Or you still think Temple Run has better graphic and it's Microsoft's fault?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Or you still think Temple Run has better graphic and it's Microsoft's fault?
No one here stated that Temple Run has incredible graphics or even implied it. Stop tying such misrepresentations to the actual contention here. Asphalt's update is great, it says nothing to Microsoft's hand in this. I have clearly laid out what I'm contending in previous posts, which you were more interesting in brushing aside rather than comprehending. On that note, why haven't you ripped into Paul Avecedo for his series dismantling the multitude of problems in Windows Phone gaming?

Windows Phone gaming is in a sorry state. The creator of the Xbox shouldn't be sitting back while Windows Phone receives terrible ports of years-old titles.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
No one here stated that Temple Run has incredible graphics or even implied it. Stop tying such misrepresentations to the actual contention here. Asphalt's update is great, it says nothing to Microsoft's hand in this. I have clearly laid out what I'm contending in previous posts, which you were more interesting in brushing aside rather than comprehending. On that note, why haven't you ripped into Paul Avecedo for his series dismantling the multitude of problems in Windows Phone gaming?

Windows Phone gaming is in a sorry state. The creator of the Xbox shouldn't be sitting back while Windows Phone receives terrible ports of years-old titles.

You didn't, but you did say that Asphalt 7 doesn't deserve the requirement in the excuse of mine about games with better graphic require less than this TR :) Now that Asphalt 7 can reduce down. Do we now have to wait for Imangi?

Still Microsoft's fault right? Ok, forget it, no one can change your mind right now.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You didn't, but you did say that Asphalt 7 doesn't deserve the requirement in the excuse of mine about games with better graphic require less than this TR :) Now that Asphalt 7 can reduce down. Do we now have to wait for Imangi?

Still Microsoft's fault right? Ok, forget it, no one can change your mind right now.
No, my point was that pretty much any game that can run on the Lumia 920 should be able to scale down for a 512MB device, since they are all WVGA and the assets can be significantly downsized (by a factor of 2.5). Yes, we have to wait for developers who have run into RAM problems to update their apps, a situation that did not exist with 512MB on WP7 and that barely exists on competing platforms.

None of these titles are too graphically intensive to work with 512MB. I can't make this clearer - that was never the contention. The contention is that Microsoft is playing a losing game from behind. Microsoft works on the development tools, the porting experience, and the vetting process for app submissions, and has provided development / monetary assistance in the past. There's something in there which must have been able to at least partially avoid the recent launches that have been RAM restricted.

I'm definitely leaning towards there being some (serious?) issues with the cross-platform frameworks / engines. I would have hoped that Microsoft would have worked closely with Unity and others, considering it was last June that they announced support for them. And if this is a problem born from Microsoft's refusal to support OpenGL, then I believe it's completely Microsoft's fault.

For the record, a list of RAM-implicated apps I'm aware of. Take note of how many Xbox releases - you know, the ones with much Microsoft involvement and crazy certification processes - are implicated.

• Temple Run
  • Tunein Radio
  • Nokia Xpress (fixed)
  • Asphalt 7 (fixed)
  • Puzzle Craft (fixed)
  • Brotherhood of Violence
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • Amazing Spider-Man
  • Real Soccer 2013
And once/if we get availability of these titles nailed down, the conversation will shift to three other areas which fall directly on the shoulders of Microsoft - the inability to backup game saves (those with 4/8 GB of memory would appreciate being able to cycle between games), the inability to install to external storage, and the overbearing storage requirements.

Basically, on some of Windows Phone's best chances at relevance, gaming is a mess.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
No, my point was that pretty much any game that can run on the Lumia 920 should be able to scale down for a 512MB device, since they are all WVGA and the assets can be significantly downsized (by a factor of 2.5). Yes, we have to wait for developers who have run into RAM problems to update their apps, a situation that did not exist with 512MB on WP7 and that barely exists on competing platforms.

None of these titles are too graphically intensive to work with 512MB. I can't make this clearer - that was never the contention. The contention is that Microsoft is playing a losing game from behind. Microsoft works on the development tools, the porting experience, and the vetting process for app submissions, and has provided development / monetary assistance in the past. There's something in there which must have been able to at least partially avoid the recent launches that have been RAM restricted.

I'm definitely leaning towards there being some (serious?) issues with the cross-platform frameworks / engines. I would have hoped that Microsoft would have worked closely with Unity and others, considering it was last June that they announced support for them. And if this is a problem born from Microsoft's refusal to support OpenGL, then I believe it's completely Microsoft's fault.

For the record, a list of RAM-implicated apps I'm aware of. Take note of how many Xbox releases - you know, the ones with much Microsoft involvement and crazy certification processes - are implicated.

• Temple Run
  • Tunein Radio
  • Nokia Xpress (fixed)
  • Asphalt 7 (fixed)
  • Puzzle Craft (fixed)
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • Amazing Spider-Man
  • Real Soccer 2013
And once/if we get availability of these titles nailed down, the conversation will shift to three other areas which fall directly on the shoulders of Microsoft - the inability to backup game saves (those with 4/8 GB of memory would appreciate being able to cycle between games), the inability to install to external storage, and the overbearing storage requirements.

Basically, on some of Windows Phone's best chances at relevance, gaming is a mess.

Well , Adreno 225 equates to iPhone 4S/S3's GPU performance , So gaming will always be one-two years behind on WP even if devs want to make a high end game for it.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Well , Adreno 225 equates to iPhone 4S/S3's GPU performance , So gaming will always be one-two years behind on WP even if devs want to make a high end game for it.
Devs aren't really looking to make such a game because it doesn't make much sense from a business perspective to only target a few devices. Also remember that the 2013 Android flagships are running at 1080p.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Look, in all seriousness, this 1GB requirement needs to stop. If Microsoft can't provide the environment to have old ports running on 512MB of RAM, then Microsoft should have mandated 1GB of RAM on all Windows Phone 8 devices. They already made a clean-ish break by cutting off WP7, since they kept 512MB, they sure as heck better support it. Same with the ridiculous, arbitrary storage requirements for installing large applications & games.

Fix your crap, Microsoft.

The ability to have games run on 512 instead of 1 gb is there from MS dude. MS can not force a dev to develop a 1gb version or a 512 mg version There is such a thing as the free market capitolistic system you know. There is freedom of choice at least in some ecosystems.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
this windows phone 8 is a joke.. u need to have 1gb of ram to run temple run? rly? are u kidding me? newer gona buy windows phone again cmon sony xperia go have 512 mb of ram and can run temple run 2 and i cant run temple run 1 on my 8s?? rly?? i cant belive it -_-

This is not the problem windows phone. Don't buy any windows phone again if you wish.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
well u dont know if it will run on 512 mb of ram... i am pissed as well i have 8s and cant play temple run 1 while my friends on sony xperia go can play temple run 2...

You shouldn't have bought windows phone if you wanted to play games that wasn't even released. Good luck in your life with suckdroid.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

• Temple Run
  • Tunein Radio
  • Nokia Xpress (fixed)
  • Asphalt 7 (fixed)
  • Puzzle Craft (fixed)
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • Amazing Spider-Man
  • Real Soccer 2013

Nothing, just sit down and wait if you still want to stick with windows phone. Sit down and wait for those devs to improve their apps/games :)

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Devs aren't really looking to make such a game because it doesn't make much sense from a business perspective to only target a few devices. Also remember that the 2013 Android flagships are running at 1080p.
Why not ? They can make a single game with highest graphics on a high end device and medium graphics on current adreno 225 devices and low graphics for other devices.Automatically adjusted graphics (textures , effects etc.) according to hardware

ticktock5

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
This is not the problem windows phone. Don't buy any windows phone again if you wish.
If a very popular app requires excessive resources to run on their platform, and their platform alone, it IS MS's problem. Well at least, if they ever want to retain customers. People need to stop defending them if they want WP to succeed.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The ability to have games run on 512 instead of 1 gb is there from MS dude. MS can not force a dev to develop a 1gb version or a 512 mg version There is such a thing as the free market capitolistic system you know. There is freedom of choice at least in some ecosystems.
No. No, no, no. There's no free market capitalistic system, there are the storefronts of Google, Apple, BlackBerry & Microsoft - where you play by whatever rules they impose. Microsoft can say that you must have freaking good reason to exclude 512MB devices. To a much larger degree, it can mandate that Xbox games must run on 512MB (else have fun loitering in the indie section of the store).

Why not ? They can make a single game with highest graphics on a high end device and medium graphics on current adreno 225 devices and low graphics for other devices.Automatically adjusted graphics (textures , effects etc.) according to hardware
In which case there would be no issue with compatibility anyway. Fact of the matter is few if any developers are doing this, and there's little reward for pushing the graphics envelope on the select few flagships - keeping in mind that 1080p could largely negate any advances in processing. There aren't really any jaw-dropping graphics at pixel resolution for 720p and I bet that if you take a screenshot of a game on a new 1080p Android flagship and view it on your monitor, you'll see how many crumby shortcuts were taken. Of course, it will look fine on the devices at 400+ PPI (and hence we almost delve again into the stupidity of the PPI wars).

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Nothing, just sit down and wait if you still want to stick with windows phone. Sit down and wait for those devs to improve their apps/games :)
Apologies for being confrontational earlier on. Should make it clear that I'm not really big on mobile gaming, but this is important for Windows Phone. I can wait, but will ordinary consumers?

Will temple run be coming to HTC 8S as my brother wants it, or not?
For the 8S to become viable for gaming, you'd have to hope for a) Microsoft to update WP and allow external app installs, and b) game developers to sufficiently optimise their games for it. It's a shame there's no 1GB mid-range device (I'm staring at you, Lumia 720).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750