W8 / WP8 app compatibilty?

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Friends tell me they are reluctant to switch to WP8 because of the lack of available apps. I never have problems finding the general purpose apps I need but admittedly there is a lack of specific apps from retail companies, banks and various websites. They have apps for Apple and Android but not for Windows Phone.

I tell my friends that with the release of Windows 8, most of these laggards will be quickly creating apps for W8 so they can have more of a presence on the W8 desktop/tablet tiles. Also, that once a W8 app is created it should be a very simple process (if any) to convert the app for WP8 use. So we should start to see the creation of LOTS more apps for our Windows phones.

Am I just touting BS or is there any truth to my thoughts?

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
That's really going to depend on an app by app basis, but if it's designed properly, Microsoft does have guidelines on making the porting of an app from Windows 8 to Windows Phone 8 a lot easier.

Things like interfaces, etc will have still be recreated, but lots of code can be reused. Not a trivial process, but doesn't require starting over either. Really it's going to depend on whether or not the company wants to spend the extra effort required to create and maintain another app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo