Text select. Cant select middle of words?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
What am I doing wrong? When I make typing errors, rather than select whole word and delete and re-type, itd be easier just to select in between letters but I cant figure out how to do it. Is this even possible?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
What am I doing wrong? When I make typing errors, rather than select whole word and delete and re-type, itd be easier just to select in between letters but I cant figure out how to do it. Is this even possible?

Tap and hold the word/typing area for a second. It gives you a cursor to place where you want it.

McVitas

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. It is rather user unfriendly IMHO, because when the cursor appears you have to keep holding the finger on the display and release it on the right place - which is obviously not very easy because you don't see the text under your finger touching the display ;) It would be much more logical if the cursor stayed even after I stop touching the display allowing me to try to tap inside the word and place it properly. Double tap would select the whole word (as it has always been like this on a pc)

Last edited:

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Another word of advice with cursor placement. As long as your finger is touching the screen, you can still control the cursor with your finger way below the word.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
ROFL I got my 920 at week one and didnt know about that! Sometimes I think there should be more tips for new users built right into the OS (like the first-time-notifications in the baconit app).

McVitas

May 5, 2013
Visit site
And now imagine the thousands of people using Windows Phone but not reading these forums! They may be quite annoyed because they did not find out how to do this and don't even think it is possible .:eek:rly:
This just shows that Microsoft did not think it through enough IMHO... I would suggest this to be a subject for a change in some future update

Chris_kosmidis

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. It is rather user unfriendly IMHO, because when the cursor appears you have to keep holding the finger on the display and release it on the right place - which is obviously not very easy because you don't see the text under your finger touching the display ;) It would be much more logical if the cursor stayed even after I stop touching the display allowing me to try to tap inside the word and place it properly. Double tap would select the whole word (as it has always been like this on a pc)

That's actually not true!If you tap and hold inside a word until the cursor appears and then immediately release the holding, the cursor blinks on that same spot that you originally tapped!!You don't have to place the cursor!Just try it!Tap inside a word, hold until cursor appears and release holding immediately!!
Have a good day!

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
That's actually not true!If you tap and hold inside a word until the cursor appears and then immediately release the holding, the cursor blinks on that same spot that you originally tapped!!You don't have to place the cursor!Just try it!Tap inside a word, hold until cursor appears and release holding immediately!!
Have a good day!

Wow I've been using WP for one year now and just figured this out

hharry

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
World would be easier with cursor arrows, you know, like the ones qwerty keyboards have =( At least have an option to enable them somewhere...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb