Windows Phone 8 doesn't really have USB Mass Storage support, does it?

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Connecting a Nokia 822 to Windows XP yields a USB Mass Storage drive letter, but it isn't browseable. You can get to the phone from explorer via "Windows Phone", but that's MTP, not USB Mass Storage. I tried this with two 822s and it had the same result. I don't think this is a phone-specific issue, see below.

Transfering music and pictures via USB storage mode is an epic disaster. Connect the device via USB and delete everything from your Camera Roll. Go into the phone and everything is still there (and can still be opened, I'm guessing they do some sort of local caching of images). Copy the Camera Roll back, every image is now duplicated from the phone's Camera Roll. Do this six or seven times and you see six or seven icons. The same thing is true of music transfers, the duplication shows in the music player's album and song lists (and there seems to be no way to correct it).

In my case, I became exposed to this issue when I bought a larger sd card. I copied everything off the phone via USB, stuck the new card in, and tried to copy everything back. The first bug is the phone won't let you create its special directories (like Camera Roll and Saved Pictures). It will disconnect the device. You have to actually shoot a picture and save a picture, so the phone can create those dirs, before you can copy your data back. And when you copy it back, you'll end up with two of everything. So before you copy it back, you have to go into the Camera Roll and delete all of the "ghost" photos. I don't know of a workaround for music. In any case, the USB storage implementation is a mess.

-Jeff

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that it is browsable in windows 7 and 8. Its also the easiest way to put media such as music, movies, and ringtones onto the device.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I cannot recreate the issue you describe on my 820 with a Windows 8 Professional host PC (although I didn't try creating the base folders as they were already there).

I do know that if you have a security lock on your phone, you won't be able to browse it as a USB device if the phone is locked. If you have a security lock, maybe your problems are related to that.

*shrug*

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I've got Windows 7. When I try to download the WP desktop app, it says I need the .NET Framework 4.0. Is this what you guys had to do?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I always install what the app asks for... which means I always wind up with multiple versions of the .NET runtime on my machine. :)

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
do I stick with 4.0 or go to the 4.5?
If you don't have any super critical apps that require 4.5, stick with 4.0. I updated to 4.5 with visual studio a bit ago, and it broke two things I need for work. Not overly related, just a friendly piece of advice.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
it doesnt seem like a true mass storage device.

It didn't just plug in and show up as a drive on my friend's mac, and it doesnt show up as a drive in my car (usb sticks work fine)

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Very strange. This is a 21.5" i3 iMac running... 10.6.something, I think (it's my work machine, I'll check it on Monday for exacts). It came right up as a drive (two, actually, as I have an 820; one drive for the built-in storage, another for the SD card.)

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have any super critical apps that require 4.5, stick with 4.0. I updated to 4.5 with visual studio a bit ago, and it broke two things I need for work. Not overly related, just a friendly piece of advice.

understand completely, just like the data access components versions years ago

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
just finished installing 4.0 and tried to install WP app. No joy.

UPDATE: I had installed .NET Framework 4 Client Profile the first go around. Installed .NET Framework 4 Extended and now WP app installs and runs fine.

Last edited:

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My 8X definitely doesn't show up as a drive on my MBA running Mountain Lion or my wife's iMac running Lion. I can connect to it using the windows phone app but when I connect via USB it doesn't recognize it at all as a drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers