Windows Phone 8 doesn't really have USB Mass Storage support, does it?

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No issues with my rig see's it as a storage drive and am in the process of converting my second Blu Ray movie to the SD card using W7 no .net on x64 machine.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
> The Windows Phone desktop app is incompatible with XP/Vista. Only Windows Explorer can be used with XP/Vista

That's what I am saying, though. If it requires a special app, then it isn't USB Mass Storage compliant. If it really supports USB Mass Storage, I should be able to plug it into any machine that I can plug a generic USB thumb drive or external hard drive into. I have a dozen of those combined, and this is the only device that doesn't present a browseable drive letter. It instead presents itself as an MTP device.

-E

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Time to get a 2003 Windows Mobile 6 phone to go with your ancient operating system.

Seriously? A USB Mass Storage device should present itself as a drive letter on XP. I have a 98 box as well, want me to try it on there? I'm sure it will be fine on the Win 7 machine, but that's with the software installed. Just respond to the facts, please, which is that the device isn't presenting itself as a USB Mass Storage device, right?

-E

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Where can anyone point to that authoritatively indicates that Windows Phone 8 supports USB Mass Storage vs USB MTP? And there is a fairly big difference...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
> The Windows Phone desktop app is incompatible with XP/Vista. Only Windows Explorer can be used with XP/Vista

That's what I am saying, though. If it requires a special app, then it isn't USB Mass Storage compliant.

It doesn't *require* a special app. What... whoever you quoted in there is saying is that there is a special app available for it, but that special app doesn't run on XP/Vista. On XP/Vista you have no choice but to use the phone as if it were a USB thumb drive or external hard drive.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
In my case I have OSX, an XP VM, and a Windows 8 VM. Under XP the phone was detected as a camera and it doesn't show up as a USB storage device. Under OSX it detects it but definitely not as a mass storage device, I can only browse files on it by using the Windows Phone app. In Windows 8 it mounts it immediately and I can browse contents with explorer.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
In my case I have OSX, an XP VM, and a Windows 8 VM. Under XP the phone was detected as a camera and it doesn't show up as a USB storage device. Under OSX it detects it but definitely not as a mass storage device, I can only browse files on it by using the Windows Phone app. In Windows 8 it mounts it immediately and I can browse contents with explorer.

I think you've pretty much nailed it. Windows Phone 8 doesn't do USB Mass Storage. My guess is it's using USB MTP (it's really the only other protocol available).

-E

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Very strange. This is a 21.5" i3 iMac running... 10.6.something, I think (it's my work machine, I'll check it on Monday for exacts). It came right up as a drive (two, actually, as I have an 820; one drive for the built-in storage, another for the SD card.)

I stand corrected. It doesn't show up as a drive on OSX. It does show up as a drive on Windows 8 Professional running on that iMac via BootCamp. Sorry for the confusion I caused.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I stand corrected. It doesn't show up as a drive on OSX. It does show up as a drive on Windows 8 Professional running on that iMac via BootCamp. Sorry for the confusion I caused.

it's ok. i'm glad i wasn't going crazy :D

it is disappointing though. i was hoping for USB audio output. the android and iphone devices have it. it seems like an important part of a phone considering how media oriented these devices are. It's all just software based anyway.

Some people's cars are recognizing the device as a usb thumb drive. My BMW i-drive does not, which is even more disappointing.

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
WP8 uses USB MTP mode just like the android 4 and newer versions. Yeah its not Mass Storage but i dont have any problems with deleting or copying new content.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
are there USB "adapters" that can convert to legacy signals of some sort? perhaps trick the car into thinking it's reading a thumb drive so you can basically connect any device to it and use steering wheel controls to change songs?

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I found a "fix" for the issue (which I seem to be the only person that has) I mentioned in my original post, where songs were duplicating in the media player even though I only have one copy of the song on the card. I disconnected the card in Settings, went to the media player and "deleted" all of the songs, and then restarted the phone. When the media player was relaunched after restart, the lists were all correct with just one copy. Just putting this out there in case anyone else has the issue.

I think this may have happened because I kept getting disconnected while transferring the backup of my old card over to the new one. The disconnection happens if you try to copy a folder like Camera Roll before the phone itself has created the folder. Saved Pictures is the same way. YMMV, it seems to depend on how the host PC's OS handles MTP.

pookiewood

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
it doesnt seem like a true mass storage device.

It didn't just plug in and show up as a drive on my friend's mac, and it doesnt show up as a drive in my car (usb sticks work fine)

This is what I was trying to do as well and my stereo said that it was an incompatible device. it works just fine on Win7 and 8 though.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I was having this issue for a little bit, then I went in and force installed USB driver for wp8. I will try to remember where I found this stuff. Check device manager and see if there's any "other" devices. Also for music is use MusicMatch. Super quick and simple. Its from like 2003 like my XP too.

a download link I found
download link I foundDownload MusicMatch Jukebox 10.00.4015b

let me know if you try it or can't find the drivers

yapmeo

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
When I plugged my Lumia 525 into Windows 8, it appears as "Windows Phone" icon on My computer, as MTP.

Every time I open a folder with thousands of photo, it take forever to sync every single photo before I can transfer any file on it.

I can't find any way to connect my phone as "mass storage".

MTP is very INEFFICIENT way to transfer my file!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb