Can ATT really refuse to sell us phone off contract?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
My wife was in search of her beloved Revlon Red (as I call it) Lumia 920. A couple stores would refuse to sell it to a paying customer (her) off contract. Is this something I should be complaining about to someone high in the chain of command or is this common practice among wireless carriers? I have enough mind to report this to the BBB. I understand the whole commission and commitment thing, but I want to buy a product from you, but you wont sell it unless I guarantee I will stay for 2 years. Why even post the full retail price on the tag in the store if you wont sell it for that much?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't sound right. If you have an alternate retailer (e.g. Wal-Mart) go to them but I'd still complain to someone higher in the chain at AT&T.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I walked into an att store and bought an 8x off contract. They even sold me the last one they had. I'd call att customer service and raise heck!
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Not the BBB again.

The BBB is a private, for profit company. They have no legal rights to do anything to anyone. I am actually surprised they have been around so long. One would think in todays environment they would have been sued into bankruptcy. Think of them as the original Angies List.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The BBB has helped me curve the business practices of a local Verizon retail store that was trying to get over on me. And yes you are right they they are like Angies list, but for me it's more than just Angies list stuff. They've contacted McDonald, Verizon, and ATT and a couple others in the past for things that I thought were bad business practices. I can't stand a business getting over on the little guy. But in this case it's just that the business refused to sell a product to a customer. This is a different beast. lol.

EDIT: Also, we are in the middle of trying to contact someone at ATT about this, but I have yet to see a clear line to file a complaint. So the BBB is the other way I get my complaint to the right people. Even if at this point in time I want nothing more from then than continued service. My wife got her phone 45 MINUTES AWAY IN CHINA TOWN!!!!

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
AT&T can and will do much more to correct the local store than the BBB. I've been in retail for almost 20 yeas and I can tell you that the BBB is a joke. Nobody cares what they say. They only exist because people like to complain and want someone that will listen to them. The BBB fills that role.
Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
AT&T can and will do much more to correct the local store than the BBB. I've been in retail for almost 20 yeas and I can tell you that the BBB is a joke. Nobody cares what they say. They only exist because people like to complain and want someone that will listen to them. The BBB fills that role.
Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

Depends on from whos perspective you speak from. I don't know about you, but the BBB has helped me throughout the years and for the most part were dependable. It all depends on the claims you are trying to make. If it's a legit claim then I don't see it being hard for a company to resolve it. But this thread isn't about the BBB. AT&T needs to change this practice of not selling full retail. Someone out there will say that they don't have to sell anybody anything if they don't want to. Subsidies and yada yada, but there are people who bought into A LUMIA 900 and not even a year later, the successor emerges. This happens all the time no doubt, so why not let the customer spend the money on a new phone tied to the contract that is already in place?

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Any store can refuse to sell you whatever they want. Just because a store sells something doesn't mean you are entitled to buy it.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
When I went back to AT&T, I went to my local AT&T store to get a SIM card. I already owned the GSM phone. The salesperson refused to sell me the SIM card without signing a 2 year contract. I kept repeating, I own the phone, I want a month to month contract. He refused to sell it to me without a 2 year contract. I left the store and ordered it over the phone from AT&T.

I suppose salespeople have contract quotas they have to meet, so some become more aggressive than others for fear of losing their job.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
When I went back to AT&T, I went to my local AT&T store to get a SIM card. I already owned the GSM phone. The salesperson refused to sell me the SIM card without signing a 2 year contract. I kept repeating, I own the phone, I want a month to month contract. He refused to sell it to me without a 2 year contract. I left the store and ordered it over the phone from AT&T.

I suppose salespeople have contract quotas they have to meet, so some become more aggressive than others for fear of losing their job.
I suppose this doesn't help AT&T with customer satisfaction if people aren't able to do things like this without doing a new 2 year contract. The people at the store don't care, but I'm sure someone above them does

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Like any business they can refuse service to anyone so long as its not a civil rights violation. In turn you can refuse to give your business to them
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The BBB has helped me curve the business practices of a local Verizon retail store that was trying to get over on me. And yes you are right they they are like Angies list, but for me it's more than just Angies list stuff. They've contacted McDonald, Verizon, and ATT and a couple others in the past for things that I thought were bad business practices. I can't stand a business getting over on the little guy. But in this case it's just that the business refused to sell a product to a customer. This is a different beast. lol.

EDIT: Also, we are in the middle of trying to contact someone at ATT about this, but I have yet to see a clear line to file a complaint. So the BBB is the other way I get my complaint to the right people. Even if at this point in time I want nothing more from then than continued service. My wife got her phone 45 MINUTES AWAY IN CHINA TOWN!!!!

Its all good as long as you know who and what they are, and what they are not. There are a lot of people out there that believe the BBB is some sort of government agency that has some power. Of course the BBB isn't going to state otherwisepubically as it benefits them immensily.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Depends on from whos perspective you speak from. I don't know about you, but the BBB has helped me throughout the years and for the most part were dependable. It all depends on the claims you are trying to make. If it's a legit claim then I don't see it being hard for a company to resolve it. But this thread isn't about the BBB. AT&T needs to change this practice of not selling full retail. Someone out there will say that they don't have to sell anybody anything if they don't want to. Subsidies and yada yada, but there are people who bought into A LUMIA 900 and not even a year later, the successor emerges. This happens all the time no doubt, so why not let the customer spend the money on a new phone tied to the contract that is already in place?

I've also had a positive experience with the BBB. Several years ago AT&T refused to correct a billing mistake. I filed a complaint with the BBB. A couple of days later I got a call from AT&T asking how I would like to take care of the problem. I understand that no entity can solve every problem, and some people file complaints with the BBB when they probably shouldn't, but there are success stories out there.

To answer the OPs question... I don't know what the laws are from state-to-state, but I'm pretty sure AT&T has the right to refuse to sell a product if the customer disagrees with AT&T's terms.

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
When I was going to buy my Lumia I called before to see if they sell it off contract like the website says. Two stores,the closest to me refused because I don't have contract with them. A third store a little further agree over the phone. When I get there they didn't want to sell it either, then I told the guy I spoke with such and such over the phone to be sure before coming. After that I was first on the waiting list at the store.They jumped me and took care of everybody after me. Then a lady came and sold me the phone and the manager was present when she took care of me.Maybe he was the one I spoke on the phone.But some stores really make it difficult. Because of their prices and "store policies" I will never be an AT&T subscriber

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
you should be able to walk in and buy outright any phone. I have upgraded three times this year. once a straight up upgrade, one an early upgrade and the final time to a Lumia 920. all with NO issues.

On contract would extend the length of time you have to go.
Off contract makes you a month to month customer. And you should be able to purchase any phone you want outright.
~ADSisson

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
well I've got bad news, no you can't get what you want because you think you should be able to. I think it is BS too, but if ATT has signed an exclusive deal with someone (Nokia) they can offer "no commitment" pricing but that is still a full priced phone plus a plan and the shyster $36 activation fee. I was very fortunate that Amazon didn't pick up on this so I got the 920 for the Att no commitment price without having to get a plan or pay tax or pay a "activation fee".

Phone sales in this country are broken. I applaud Google for trying to shake things up with direct sales and I hope Microsoft does the same with a Surface phone.

wpnokia920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was refused when trying to purchase the 920 at my local AT&T corporate store. Never had I been and I have bought outright over 26 phones within the last two years. I calmly walked out called 611 reported the store to AT&T and my entire bill was credited for my displeasure and my account foot noted to allow the purchase of this phone with no exceptions.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have come to think that they wont sell it off contract because Windows phones are on the rise now and they realize that they can actually make money off of these slick devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss