Messaging and Facebook?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've read reviews that says Messenger can support SMS and facebook simultaneously. I even have the option for facebook messaging enabled. However, I don't see any option or way to use it through the Messenger client. I have entries that are from facebook but I see no option to message them there.

What am I missing?

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Open your messaging app (sms) and if you are signed in with facebook swipe right and you will see who is online with facebook chat. If you are in a conversation, the bottom right icon will switch you back and forth from facebook to sms and vice versa.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
It is kind of funny, but all the talk of a facebook phone and we pretty much have one. Integrated chat, updates, check ins etc right in the OS.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I just discovered this too! And it's integrated into the Windows 8 messaging client. Very cool!

Will I take a big battery hit if I keep my status as "available" on my phone?

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I just discovered this too! And it's integrated into the Windows 8 messaging client. Very cool!

Will I take a big battery hit if I keep my status as "available" on my phone?

I always kept it on with my win 7.5 and now my 920 running 8 and never noticed any battery drain. It is great though as I can get up from my comp in the middle of a conversation and the other party does not know.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
That's good to know. My wife has an HTC Trophy, so maybe we can use this to replace text messaging? We both have unlimited texts, but the nice thing about this is that you can send and receive from your phone and your computer. Pretty cool!

rantanplan1980

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to "hack" a different chat application in there? Facebook is using the XMPP protocol which means that in theory, I should be able to use google talk or Nimbuzz if I was able to change the proxy and login settings.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
There is IM+ which is sort of a universal IM client. It's not integrated into the system though. The kik app works really well but is a closed system.

From my perspective I didn't get any benefit from using facebook. Some of the incoming messages didn't even make it to my phone.

I was hoping it would work like messaging on the iPhone. There you get sent, received, read and typing statuses.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
There is IM+ which is sort of a universal IM client. It's not integrated into the system though. The kik app works really well but is a closed system.

From my perspective I didn't get any benefit from using facebook. Some of the incoming messages didn't even make it to my phone.

I was hoping it would work like messaging on the iPhone. There you get sent, received, read and typing statuses.

Funny that I hate the read receipts, as if I am busy and want to respond later and don't need the sender knowing that. Facebook has a messenger app on other platforms that shows those receipts, so we might get to see that some day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12