Contacts List vs People Hub

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Ha! No, not even close. I am however extremely well known from the schools I went to, and got quite a name at uni too. Plus there's my radio colleagues.

Heheh well still a local celebrity of some sorts it seems. All this blow up because of your natural good looks or because you got a windows phone :winktongue:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Heheh well still a local celebrity of some sorts it seems. All this blow up because of your natural good looks or because you got a windows phone :winktongue:

That might be in part due to my name. I kid you not here, it is Daniel Ratcliffe.

And now, I prepare myself for an onslaught of Harry Potter fans thinking I was the actor.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
That might be in part due to my name. I kid you not here, it is Daniel Ratcliffe.

And now, I prepare myself for an onslaught of Harry Potter fans thinking I was the actor.

Hahah that's pretty funny. Thinking about it now that graduation gown does kind of look like a wizard's robe...

Even with the difference in spelling people mistake you off the bat?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hahah that's pretty funny. Thinking about it now that graduation gown does kind of look like a wizard's robe...

Should have seen that coming...

Even with the difference in spelling people mistake you off the bat?

Yep! When I meet people in real life though and we're talking using voice, it's even worse... near enough EVERYONE mistakes me for Harry Potter. Heh, if I get to meet my favourite artist (Miss FD) then hopefully she'll make a wisecrack about that too to her fans.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Why isn't filtering out contacts not an option that the OP wants to take? I understand he doesn't want Facebook lot in the "Phonebook" right? So how about untick in filters? Isn't that you want? That's what I've done. I've got 560 FB contacts - don't see a single one in my "Phonebook".

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Why isn't filtering out contacts not an option that the OP wants to take? I understand he doesn't want Facebook lot in the "Phonebook" right? So how about untick in filters? Isn't that you want? That's what I've done. I've got 560 FB contacts - don't see a single one in my "Phonebook".

It then also filters them out of People Hub, which he doesn't want. He wants them to be filtered ONLY when he goes to Phone Hub, then clicks phonebook from there.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It then also filters them out of People Hub, which he doesn't want. He wants them to be filtered ONLY when he goes to Phone Hub, then clicks phonebook from there.

I might have to check that. I thought filters for People hub were on top in What's New page where you select what feed we want.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I might have to check that. I thought filters for People hub were on top in What's New page where you select what feed we want.

I mean it filters out the contacts from People Hub. They still appear in What's New, but the contact cards don't appear for them. He wants them all to show in People Hub, but not in the phonebook accessed from Phone Hub, if you catch my drift.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Should have seen that coming...

Indeed.

Yep! When I meet people in real life though and we're talking using voice, it's even worse... near enough EVERYONE mistakes me for Harry Potter. Heh, if I get to meet my favourite artist (Miss FD) then hopefully she'll make a wisecrack about that too to her fans.

Interesting. You ever try to use it to your advantage?

Selfdestructo Bust

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

If I tick off FB then People Hub loses a networking feature. I don't want to lose features.

What I did for now is merge the Hotmail contacts (phone contacts) with the Facebook ones and use the RapDialer app to have a contact list with just the people with phone numbers (also speed dial and smart dial). Only downside is that it doesn't display incoming calls in the history, just calls made from the app. So now I have a medium tile for RapDialer to call people and below it a small Phone tile to see incoming and missed call history. It's annoying to need 2 call apps because Microsoft made the native one crappy. Hopefully it gets fixed.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ah! I get it now. You want People Hub to be separate thing and you want Phonebook to be a separate thing, right?

So when you press "Phone" - you see phone book, dialer and recent history.

Then a separate tile of "People" - you see only all people and what's new feed.

Then a separate ME tile - you see only what you've been up to and your notifications.

It might not be "integration" that WP is built around. The way I see it is keeping in mind what they said during 2010 launch. "You don't have to leave, open an app or exit an app to do something different". Contact cards for example, once they are linked, they have all the ways you can ever contact that person. In case you change your mind once you are in phonebook and you think, "Ah, I might just tweet him, he checks it more often", then you have that facility in current situation.

In your scenario, you would exit phonebook. Go to people's hub, find him again and then tweet. Same scenario, now you are in People's hub and think, "You know what, this is SO unprofessional. I should just rather drop him an email". In this case, you have to exit your People's hub, go to email app or phonebook, find him, email him. But in current set up, all you do is, hit back button, tap on email and voila!

I do understand the frustration of seeing those useless peeps you don't want to see, but such are our social lives!

I see this as a feature that really helps me. Those scenarios I discussed above, have actually happened in my real life and I found it so convenient to be able to just tap around and do stuff without opening an email app or separate social networking app.

I only see a single disadvantage for someone like me who saves people with weirdest nick names in phonebook. So my phone NEVER automatically links my contacts with their facebook etc like everyone else always talks about.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I feel like this is such a first world problems complaint. This is easily one of the top 5 best features of windows phone, the people hub integration.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I just tripped over another first-world problem related to this integration. The time it takes my car to sync with me phone has increased and the time it takes to scroll through my car's contacts has increased because the car now has many entries for people who have no actionable information (i.e., not phone number). Even turning off a data source in the People hub doesn't fix the problem because those data source checkboxes are used only to control which names display -- all of the names are still in the directory. The only way to get the car to sync quickly is to break the connection to the other data sources (twitter, linkedin, etc).

Selfdestructo Bust

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Ah! I get it now. You want People Hub to be separate thing and you want Phonebook to be a separate thing, right?

So when you press "Phone" - you see phone book, dialer and recent history.

Then a separate tile of "People" - you see only all people and what's new feed.

Then a separate ME tile - you see only what you've been up to and your notifications.

That is EXACTLY what I mean. :)

It might not be "integration" that WP is built around. The way I see it is keeping in mind what they said during 2010 launch. "You don't have to leave, open an app or exit an app to do something different". Contact cards for example, once they are linked, they have all the ways you can ever contact that person. In case you change your mind once you are in phonebook and you think, "Ah, I might just tweet him, he checks it more often", then you have that facility in current situation.

In your scenario, you would exit phonebook. Go to people's hub, find him again and then tweet. Same scenario, now you are in People's hub and think, "You know what, this is SO unprofessional. I should just rather drop him an email". In this case, you have to exit your People's hub, go to email app or phonebook, find him, email him. But in current set up, all you do is, hit back button, tap on email and voila!

Actually, by merging the phone contacts with their corresponding networking profile you can be in a phonebook and still decide to send the person an email or tweet. You don't need to be in the People Hub to do those things. For example, as I mentioned, I'm now using the RapDialer app where I have access to a phonebook list and it just lists the contacts that have a phone number attached. But I still have them merged with FB and email so I just tap and hold (to open a menu with actions and shortcuts), then tap Profile and there is the email.

I only see a single disadvantage for someone like me who saves people with weirdest nick names in phonebook. So my phone NEVER automatically links my contacts with their facebook etc like everyone else always talks about.

That's weird, mine retains the Hotmail (phone contact) name after merging with FB.

I feel like this is such a first world problems complaint. This is easily one of the top 5 best features of windows phone, the people hub integration.

ANY problem involving a smartphone is a first world problem. You know, like your "Gmail ExchangeActiveSync Problem" thread. So please, get off your high horse.

The People Hub is great, I love the merged contacts with all their info in one place. But the People Hub should be just that and not get recycled as the phone's phonebook. It muddles up the phonebook with useless FB contacts that you can't call.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
That is EXACTLY what I mean. :)

ANY problem involving a smartphone is a first world problem. You know, like your "Gmail ExchangeActiveSync Problem" thread. So please, get off your high horse.

Let me rephrase that then; "This is such a whiny little b*tch problem. This would be like a lumberjack complaining about the noise that his neighbor's chainsaw makes. Put your big boy pants on Sally and man the **** up."

Is that better Mr. Internet?

Note that my question was asked without the connotation of "OMGSSS MY PHONE NO WORK, WOLRDS ENDINGSZ!!!!!". This complaint about the people hub integration is like a beach bum calling up American Eagle and complaining that the salmon colored polo shirt they ordered is really more of a pink.

Look we get it, every form of technology has some problem or limitation. When you come up with the perfect idea, go ahead and implement it. See how someone finds a way to complain. This reminds me of "you're holding it wrong".

Selfdestructo Bust

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Let me rephrase that then; "This is such a whiny little b*tch problem. This would be like a lumberjack complaining about the noise that his neighbor's chainsaw makes. Put your big boy pants on Sally and man the **** up."

Is that better Mr. Internet?

Note that my question was asked without the connotation of "OMGSSS MY PHONE NO WORK, WOLRDS ENDINGSZ!!!!!". This complaint about the people hub integration is like a beach bum calling up American Eagle and complaining that the salmon colored polo shirt they ordered is really more of a pink.

Look we get it, every form of technology has some problem or limitation. When you come up with the perfect idea, go ahead and implement it. See how someone finds a way to complain. This reminds me of "you're holding it wrong".

hahaha People be careful, we have an internet tough guy over here. It's funny that your don't even realize that you're the one acting like a little b*tch.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
hahaha People be careful, we have an internet tough guy over here. It's funny that your don't even realize that you're the one acting like a little b*tch.

"ANY problem involving a smartphone is a first world problem. You know, like your "Gmail ExchangeActiveSync Problem" thread. So please, get off your high horse."

You brought an ad hominem into this with that comment. Don't complain when you feed the bear.

anu anu

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The problem is when You wan't to You Your WP Phone as a tool not a toy. If people hub contacts can be filtered for example only for Microsoft Account contact then other apps like mail, phone or sms should use filtered list. I've got many connections on linkedin and on facebook. Those people are not my close relatives. I don't wan't to see them while writing email address during composing the mail. This is problem for me. I just want to see only few people exactly from my contacts list. What's more - in Skype I want to see only my skype contacts like it was in skype client for android and ios. I'm using skype as a kind of instant messaging, I;m not using paid services in Skype. All those features without ability to filter contacts in apps makes WP8 very messy system. If MS would not change it I woul regret buying Lumia 920 :( Just let me give an option to filter people for other apps. same way I filter people in People app so that I can only see news feeds for the people I left filtered. I don't want M$ to change default behavior, I just want an option. I don't want to see all my FB contacts while searching for somebody's email in mail app.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)