Contacts List vs People Hub

GomzyRockz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most of the comments above. The idea behind the People's Hub is great, but sometimes I just wish the phonebook and the peoples hub are just separate. It sucks to have 300+ FB friends with no phone numbers. I can live with it for sure, and the advantages outweigh the minor inconvenience, but unless we strive for perfection we may not achieve it. Hoping MS can do something with this, and create a notification center, phuleeze. maybe swyping to the left brings the notification center ?

Janine B

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree the contacts section sucks!
I would like a normal phone book, the old fashioned type, one where you enter a name and a number and it forms a list in my phone.

Why does every contact have to link to an email account or other?
Yes, I want to be signed into my email addresses to check on emails from work and my home utility suppliers, but I want my contacts list to be separate, not people from work or British Gas.

For example, THE MILKMAN... I occasionally like to send him a text to say 'no milk this weekend, thanks'.
I don't want to save him to my works outlook account, and I don't want to add him to my personal outlook account, and I certainly don't want to see him on facebook.
So where can I save the Milkman and his number???

I'm considering creating another email account (not to ever be used), simply to save a normal phone book list. But surely this can't be the only solution.

Is there a phone book App?

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Why does every contact have to link to an email account or other?
Yes, I want to be signed into my email addresses to check on emails from work and my home utility suppliers, but I want my contacts list to be separate, not people from work or British Gas.

For example, THE MILKMAN... I occasionally like to send him a text to say 'no milk this weekend, thanks'.
I don't want to save him to my works outlook account, and I don't want to add him to my personal outlook account, and I certainly don't want to see him on facebook.
So where can I save the Milkman and his number???

Is there a phone book App?

Well there IS a new app call 'Temp Contacts' which addresses your specifics as well as possibly the OP of the thread as well.
Here is a wpcentral thread about it

Temp Contacts makes a separate phone/contact list which integrates with the People Hub...but can be filtered out in the People Hub settings. If you filter the Temp Contacts then they are gone from the People Hub live tile and invisible in the People Hub list (tho searchable). The Temp Contact list does not sync to your social apps or email accounts...unless you want them too and can be done on an individual basis.

Disadvantage:
- The contact info is stored in the app at the present time though a Skydrive backup might be a possible app update solution. So that is the obvious weak point in that a hard reset will delete your contact info.
- There is no editing in the app, but it can be edited (and additional info added) via the People Hub entry

Advantages:
- Perfect for temp/throw-away contacts who you don't want to see in your home page People Hub Live Tile....or to muddle up your People Hub contact list with secondary contacts (if you filter out the Temp Contacts)
- None of the Temp Contacts sync to your MS accounts/Facebook/email......unless you want them to. (Sync ability is in settings at each contact)....so you're not meshing these contacts with your facebook or other contact sync lists....unless you want to...and then are able to do it on a selective basis.
- Cleans the clutter out of the People Hub list so you can actually find the person you want to call easily.
- You will see a received/sent call from the Temp Contact list in your 'History' and 'Recent' pages of your People Hub. And you will see the incoming call info from the Temp Contacts.
- No social texts/updates from these contacts...unless you want them.

I'm going to use it for businesse services, general 'local scout'/'latitude' type stuff for frequent contacts(ie dentist/doctor/plumber/pizza order-out/car repair shop/etc), mainly to keep the People Hub about close friends and family so that the social syncing works for them and I don't get the clutter from the second tier contacts now stashed in Temp Contacts.

The OP might use the Temp Contacts app in reverse fashion...eg turn it into their main contact/phone list and keep all their Facebook/Twitter contacts and social syncing going on in the People Hub as was stated as their desire.

This app separates the social syncing from the contacts which is what was the original problem of the OP, no?

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I hope MS adds some more filters to people hub, too many taps in order to call someone. After all it's a smartPHONE. Although I do not use it extensively as a phone and more as a PDA, I prefer to be able to call a contact faster and not to see FB, xyz contacts.

vipresh

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I agree there should be clear SEPERATION of PHONE Contacts and SOCIAL-NETWORKING Contacts.
This is the most annoying feature/BUG to be present in Windows 8, which should'nt have been FORCED upon every USER.
Atleast they should have given users a choice to separate Phone Contact list.
Because of this very same reason I m not able to use my new Lumia 822 after 2 weeks of Purchase.
As the only possible work around that seemed reasonable to me was to create a New Outlook.com A/c and then import all my Phone book contacts in People Hub of new Ac and filter all the other Accounts except this New Ac on Phone.
But Now the outlook.com doesn't allow adding more than 2 mobile numbers to any contacts and I am going crazy trying to change the import file column headers so that outlook.com picks up all the contact numbers.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree there should be clear SEPERATION of PHONE Contacts and SOCIAL-NETWORKING Contacts.
This is the most annoying feature/BUG to be present in Windows 8, which should'nt have been FORCED upon every USER.
Atleast they should have given users a choice to separate Phone Contact list.
Because of this very same reason I m not able to use my new Lumia 822 after 2 weeks of Purchase.
As the only possible work around that seemed reasonable to me was to create a New Outlook.com A/c and then import all my Phone book contacts in People Hub of new Ac and filter all the other Accounts except this New Ac on Phone.
But Now the outlook.com doesn't allow adding more than 2 mobile numbers to any contacts and I am going crazy trying to change the import file column headers so that outlook.com picks up all the contact numbers.

Why didn't you just filter them before creating a second account?

Aardappelboom

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I seriously took the time to update my Hotmail contact list and clean out my Facebook list to match them both. Every Phone number I need is linked to an email adres on my Hotmail account. Every new number I get is stored in Hotmail.

The people hub is a joy to use when Hotmail is your phonebook...I do admit it took quite a bit of time to clean it out. But I couldn't be any happier. Whenever I buy a pc or a phone that syncs to Hotmail I just get all my contacts without any problems.

leblalla

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok, i tought i bought a phone. a phone with a phonebook to call people. I dont facebook, i dont twit, i dont even wl anymore but i liked having my old messenger contacts handy if needed. My messenger (windows live now?) stuff has nothing to do with my phone so why the hell am i not able to create and use a simple phone contact dammit. I read online and see MS is simply not reacting or giving a damn and lots of people find this normal??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb