Switch the mail icon on an account?

Bundalings

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So I set up my phone with an MS account, and even though I use Outlook the mail app has a Hotmail icon. It's a small thing, but it's bothering me. Is there any way to change it? I tried adding an Outlook account (really the same account I used in the beginning) to the phone and that got me the right icon but there's no way to delete the original so I was left with redundant information. Like I said, they're the same account.

I'd like to only have one MS account attached to my phone and also have the Outlook icon on my email app. Has anyone else had any luck having their cake and eating it too?

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
If your MS acct has been converted to an Outlook acct (where the primary address is now @outlook.com) the default mail image should be the Outlook icon. If you want it badly enough you may want to do a hard reset and sign in with the Outlook credentials instead (if they are in fact the same account your apps and backups should work fine)

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
You can still convert your account to an Outlook.com account. It preserves your purchases and account information, and even gives you your old live.com as an alias so people with your old address can still send you stuff while you transition to the new address. The only catch is it does require a one time hard reset and repeat of the initial settings on your Windows Phone, but you can restore your backed up data after the reset. I had a live.com account and upgraded it to outlook.com when I got my Lumia. It worked great, I even got the exact same address as my outlook.com address.

Here is WP Central's coverage of the switch (from the WP7 days) Switching your Hotmail or Live to Outlook.com? Here

And here is the official Microsoft blog post tutorial which I used when I upgraded Outlook Blog - Upgrade from Hotmail to Outlook.com

Bundalings

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I switched from a Hotmail to a Live address after Outlook went live. Kind of regretted it but didn't think much of it. And now when I got to the Update Email page I only see options for Live and Hotmail addresses. =/

Edit: Thanks for the advice though. I've made a compromise and added the Outlook account back but removed Contacts, Calendar and Tasks from "Content to Sync." I hadn't noticed those items before and now my phones doing what I want it to. Ta!

ArjanNL

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the same thing, but when my Hotmail was converted to outlook.com I switch from Gmail back to MS for the new outlook.com.
I did a full reset of my Phone and signed in with my outlook.com an primary ms account. and still is have the old Hotmail icon.

But i saw MS uses the old dub.m.hotmail.com server to sync the account. Maybe that is causing it?

Does MS have a new server URL especially for outlook?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess so, but does somebody have the outlook.com icoon with the primary MS account?

I've found out how to do this in WP8. I don't know for certain that WP7 will ever have the Outlook icon.

Here's how: Settings -> email + accounts -> add new account -> Outlook

Use your current MS account sing in details and voila! Outlook icon is yours.

ArjanNL

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I've found out how to do this in WP8. I don't know for certain that WP7 will ever have the Outlook icon.

Here's how: Settings -> email + accounts -> add new account -> Outlook

Use your current MS account sing in details and voila! Outlook icon is yours.

Yes i know, that is possible but then you have 2 email accounts. (the same account) and that will cause battery drain..

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes i know, that is possible but then you have 2 email accounts. (the same account) and that will cause battery drain..

You can shut off the Microsoft account by going into setting and unchecking Email. After that the only other option is a reset or wait for the next OS update.

ArjanNL

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Still no solution for this, i know you're right and it's not personal but i hate when people say you must use windows Phone otherwise then its ment.

For example battery drains issues.. they say turn everthing off. switch back to 2G.. i'd then might be better using my old nokia 3210.

Ofcourse I exaggerate. but i'm just trying to make a point.

The icoon is no big deal, so i'll wait voor the GDR2 :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Still no solution for this, i know you're right and it's not personal but i hate when people say you must use windows Phone otherwise then its ment.

For example battery drains issues.. they say turn everthing off. switch back to 2G.. i'd then might be better using my old nokia 3210.

I'm a little confused by your statement. I only turned off the Microsoft Account email under it's settings and now it doesn't sync and doesn't even show in the app list. The Outlook email I set up is the same account as my Microsoft Account email (in your case may be hotmail, live or whatever) so I still get my email and have the new icon. I don't see your issue.

As for turning things off well that's any phone these days if you want have all systems on all the time then you'll get battery drain. The batteries are not up to the task on the type of things we want them to do. As for going for 2g and all that I just don't bother. I want my phone to work as promised and it does. I just shut off those bits I don't need (location, bluetooth, NFC) and turn them on again when I do. There's a great battery app that has shortcuts to all the necessary bits and it makes life easier. Though I personally would like to see a better solution for this.

ArjanNL

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little confused by your statement. I only turned off the Microsoft Account email under it's settings and now it doesn't sync and doesn't even show in the app list. The Outlook email I set up is the same account as my Microsoft Account email (in your case may be hotmail, live or whatever) so I still get my email and have the new icon. I don't see your issue.

- I know what you mean, but then you will still have 2 accounts connected when actually one is enough. You can switch off e-mail sync but you microsoft account will still handle your agenda, people hub, windows store connection etc.. And to add an extra account only for e-mail, and with that the right icoon is in my opinion unnecessary and a possible extra battery consumtion.

again I get you point and hopefully you understand mine. If not i'll blame it on my english ;)

As for turning things off well that's any phone these days if you want have all systems on all the time then you'll get battery drain. The batteries are not up to the task on the type of things we want them to do. As for going for 2g and all that I just don't bother. I want my phone to work as promised and it does. I just shut off those bits I don't need (location, bluetooth, NFC) and turn them on again when I do. There's a great battery app that has shortcuts to all the necessary bits and it makes life easier. Though I personally would like to see a better solution for this

So did I, the functions is want i to function are enable, other are disabled. I don't have extreem battery issues (only when using whatsapp, but thats a different story ;) ).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
- I know what you mean, but then you will still have 2 accounts connected when actually one is enough. You can switch off e-mail sync but you microsoft account will still handle your agenda, people hub, windows store connection etc.. And to add an extra account only for e-mail, and with that the right icoon is in my opinion unnecessary and a possible extra battery consumtion.

I understood your point but what I'm getting at is you'll only have the one email account, not two. The new Outlook account you setup will be your current MS Account, not a new one. You then turn OFF the MS Account email in settings -> email + accounts ->MS Account -> uncheck email (it disappears entirely) and you will only have one email. I don't know how else to explain this.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well not exactly twice. I'm not sure you're fully getting because I get the impression you think there will be double syncing where there won't be.

So let's be clear and get this right. Yes you set up your MS Account email as an Outlook email (which it already is). You do the by going to Setting ->email + accounts -> add account ->Outlook. Use your same email address and password that you use for your MS Account. Then once you've completed that tap the MS Account -> email -> uncheck the box. This shuts off the MS Account email so it will not sync. Tap the new Outlook account you created and uncheck any of the content you don't want to sync.

So that's the best way I can explain it. Sorry if I'm not much clearer.

ArjanNL

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Well not exactly twice. I'm not sure you're fully getting because I get the impression you think there will be double syncing where there won't be.

So let's be clear and get this right. Yes you set up your MS Account email as an Outlook email (which it already is). You do the by going to Setting ->email + accounts -> add account ->Outlook. Use your same email address and password that you use for your MS Account. Then once you've completed that tap the MS Account -> email -> uncheck the box. This shuts off the MS Account email so it will not sync. Tap the new Outlook account you created and uncheck any of the content you don't want to sync.

So that's the best way I can explain it. Sorry if I'm not much clearer.

I exactly know what you mean, i don't know how to explain it clearer right now. In end it doesn't matter actually :). I use the primary ms account, in this case the outlook.com. And that one also syncs my email. I was just wondering why its showing the old hotmail live tile for e-mail. And not the the outlook live tile. Because my ms account is an outlook.com.
Ill try to add some screen shots tomorrow to illustrate what i mean :) i know when you setup an outlook account the live tile shows the outlook tile

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven