Terrible Facebook Chat connection?

derDaniel

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I kinda wondered if it is really a WP8 issue or a Facebook problem..

Facebook chat is based on a simple IRC Chat standart. As a closed segment Facebook gives just some certain interfaces that can be used by third party companies to embed the Facebook chat in their own prodducts.
So there are 2 possibilities to my mind.
(a) Mircrosoft did really bad on the usage of those interfaces
(b) Mircrosoft did quite well and is addicted to what Facebook pushs out of those interfaces

Too bad the Facebook chat does really well on Windows 8 and other third party products.
So it would be rather (a) and MS did some things bad on the implementation of those interfaces.
But why is this not fixed yet. The Windows Phone OS is out since 2 years by now?

JensGorm

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I second that. I've been using the builtin Facebook chat on my new lumia 920, and today I sent a message that was not received by the recipient! When going into the Facebook app, the message I sent was nowhere to be found...

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
ERMAGERD!!!!! Getting a little frustrated. Last night i was IMing a friend and there were 15min intervals between my replies because the IMs weren't getting forwarded to my phone in chat. I had to keep checking the website for new messages.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I believe if you have your Facebook account to login using https, there will be some lag receiving messages. My friend and I tested with and without, no lag on a non secure connection. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Que? Can you explain this a bit more? How do you switch it?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it does. Secure HTTP (encrypted) causes a delay in IMs. When I turned it off, messaging problems went away on my handset.

Also, Facebook changes its site architecture and UI dozens of times a week. Microsoft is always going to lag catching up with FB's changes, because they're not embedded in the organization. And FB seems intent on becoming more closed and proprietary, ala Instagram, so I doubt this situation is going to get better over time. I generally stick to the good old fashioned text message because of it... proprietary platforms of any sort (Google Chat, Google Voice, Facebook, WhatsApp, Kik, etc.) are just an app change (or discontinuation) away from being unusable, and that risk is WAY too high to make it an infrastructure to depend on.

If something super-cool and new comes out in a couple of years and you decide you want to leave Windows Phone for it, you'd find yourself screwed if your preferred proprietary chat protocol isn't supported on it. Best to just stick to something open (and e-mail the proprietary guys on why you don't use their stuff). Perhaps they'll actually open up their APIs.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it does. Secure HTTP (encrypted) causes a delay in IMs. When I turned it off, messaging problems went away on my handset.

Also, Facebook changes its site architecture and UI dozens of times a week. Microsoft is always going to lag catching up with FB's changes, because they're not embedded in the organization. And FB seems intent on becoming more closed and proprietary, ala Instagram, so I doubt this situation is going to get better over time. I generally stick to the good old fashioned text message because of it... proprietary platforms of any sort (Google Chat, Google Voice, Facebook, WhatsApp, Kik, etc.) are just an app change (or discontinuation) away from being unusable, and that risk is WAY too high to make it an infrastructure to depend on.

If something super-cool and new comes out in a couple of years and you decide you want to leave Windows Phone for it, you'd find yourself screwed if your preferred proprietary chat protocol isn't supported on it. Best to just stick to something open (and e-mail the proprietary guys on why you don't use their stuff). Perhaps they'll actually open up their APIs.

Shouldn't we all be using Android in that case? ;)

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Hope it's okay that I can jump on this thread to ask a question...

I don't use Facebook, but my wife was trying to do something on there and I wanted to see if it can be done with WP8. She has a setting that she has to approve any pictures with her in them (maybe taged...I don't know the lingo). She could not see a way to do it from the me tile or the app. Anyone know of a way to do that with WP8?

Thanks.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hope it's okay that I can jump on this thread to ask a question...

I don't use Facebook, but my wife was trying to do something on there and I wanted to see if it can be done with WP8. She has a setting that she has to approve any pictures with her in them (maybe taged...I don't know the lingo). She could not see a way to do it from the me tile or the app. Anyone know of a way to do that with WP8?

Thanks.

She will be able to do it if she logs into m.facebook.com not from the ME tile.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
She will be able to do it if she logs into m.facebook.com not from the ME tile.

Okay, thanks. Not from the app either? If not, I will just have her add the mobile site as a pinned favorite. Speaking of that, she uses the Me tile/People hub and the Facebook app. From what I have heard on the forums here, the app leaves a lot to be desired. Would using the mobile site be a better compliment to the Me tile than the app?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Okay, thanks. Not from the app either? If not, I will just have her add the mobile site as a pinned favorite. Speaking of that, she uses the Me tile/People hub and the Facebook app. From what I have heard on the forums here, the app leaves a lot to be desired. Would using the mobile site be a better compliment to the Me tile than the app?

Mobile site is perfect. To me the app doesn't really leave much to desire. I like the app the way it is. If she doesn't admin groups but just uses facebook to post pics, like pics, delete pics, update status, like status, delete status, send messages, receive messages, check in to places, include check-in pics, like pages, comment on pages - app should suffice.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Mobile site is perfect. To me the app doesn't really leave much to desire. I like the app the way it is. If she doesn't admin groups but just uses facebook to post pics, like pics, delete pics, update status, like status, delete status, send messages, receive messages, check in to places, include check-in pics, like pages, comment on pages - app should suffice.

I agree. I don't touch the app. Mobile website for me

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the facebook integration of wp8. Tried the app a week but x.facebook.com does it for me way better. If i want to check other people status i open the contact app. Checking message i turn online in the chat.
The conversations worked great a week ago. Not using the chat often because i don't like to be online every time. (i can't understand returning the phone because of the lack of the facebook chat)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The chat, the Facebook App, and the 'what's new' in the People Hub are all pretty terrible for me.

I've done a pretty good job on my Facebook of hiding certian things like game updates and crap. I can pull up my Facebook from any browser, mobile or desktop and it shows up how I want.

The Facebook App, and the 'what's new' screen totally ignore that and my feed is full of all of those annoying game requests and pages that never, ever show up on my normal feed. I really want to use the built in features, but it's a struggle.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The chat, the Facebook App, and the 'what's new' in the People Hub are all pretty terrible for me.

I've done a pretty good job on my Facebook of hiding certian things like game updates and crap. I can pull up my Facebook from any browser, mobile or desktop and it shows up how I want.

The Facebook App, and the 'what's new' screen totally ignore that and my feed is full of all of those annoying game requests and pages that never, ever show up on my normal feed. I really want to use the built in features, but it's a struggle.

Because of this and lots of other issues I have completely given up on the integration and use m.facebook.com for everything. That of course is far from perfect, but at least bearable.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't get the stupid game notifications, because I have a policy of telling friends NOT to invite me to them, along with a public policy of "three strikes and you're unfriended."

Keeps the feed nice and clean. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb