Can somebody find out about promised early OS updates to enthusiasts?

MetroAbe

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Remember during the summer keynote they mentioned that enthusiasts will be able to bypass carriers and get updates early? Since first updates are starting to roll out to HTC 8X we should be wondering how the rest of us L920 owners are supposed to get it early without waiting for carriers!

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I really want to know how to "sign up" for this advance release option. ****, I'd gladly signup for a perpetual beta option if I could.

VDubb22

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Most likely not going to be an option for carrier-branded devices. I don't think Microsoft has the guts to go against them.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Not sure for Microsoft, but for Apple if you sign up as a developer you get access to beta releases. I know Microsoft allows for people to sign up as developers but idk if it gives you access to beta releases. And iirc, both cost $100/year

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
In the US there are WP8 features and menu options which differ between the different carriers so I don't see MS bypassing carrier specific versions. I expect the US LTE versions to lag behind a bit.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Not sure for Microsoft, but for Apple if you sign up as a developer you get access to beta releases. I know Microsoft allows for people to sign up as developers but idk if it gives you access to beta releases. And iirc, both cost $100/year

MS does this as well. Devs had access to a very stable version of Mango for some time before it was released.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm registered as a developer (working on my first apps). Microsoft doesn't give you any access to ROMs as far as I can tell from the developer center.
It could be great for all of us if they keep their promise of early updates, developer or not. I'm thinking of signing up with your Microsoft account and be notified on your phone just like regular updates.

Dale Ski

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I am dubious about flashing the firmware on my UK EE 920 with one from another carrier so if we could register as enthusiasts then it's the best of both worlds, early updates which are meant for your phone in your region.

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
This^ i flashed my 920 to Portico and my 710 to WP 7.8, i think it is still in the pipeline to announce the ability to have the latest update immediatly.

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs